Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 454 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Hopefully this doesn't break the rules but was Drogon so weak against the harpies in the books? It's kind of annoying how the stormtroopers of GoT are putting up such a fight against the unsullied and now a dragon.

I'm really quite disappointed in them, I get it this isn't normal open battle, but they seem to die 1v1 against peasants with daggers and shit like that.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm really quite disappointed in them, I get it this isn't normal open battle, but they seem to die 1v1 against peasants with daggers and shit like that.

Unsullied are like the Roman legions. They're great as a unit, but mediocre at best in single combat. Likewise those spears are horrible weapons for tight streets and alleys. You'll notice the unsullied did a lot better once they got into the pit, were able to put a formation together and support each other.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Hopefully this doesn't break the rules but was Drogon so weak against the harpies in the books? It's kind of annoying how the stormtroopers of GoT are putting up such a fight against the unsullied and now a dragon.

I think the Unsullied's KDR is still pretty good, but lately they always seem outnumbered.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I think the Unsullied's KDR is still pretty good, but lately they always seem outnumbered.

I'd thought being raised in single combat and combat in general from a young age they were supposed to be pretty bad ass, they do seem a bit deficient lately really.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I'd thought being raised in single combat and combat in general from a young age they were supposed to be pretty bad ass, they do seem a bit deficient lately really.

Yeah, maybe their training was too structured and they dont adapt well to spontaneous situations. Probably just weak writing...there is no reason to think the Harpies should be this tough. It seems like they didnt even exist before Dany showed up.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
The more I think about it the more I agree; whoever posted Stannis takes WF, and Brienne kills Stannis is right.
Why would Brienne kill Stannis... Because he was responsible for Renley's death? If he takes over Winterfell and rescues Sansa, I'm not sure what Brienne would honor more.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why would Brienne kill Stannis... Because he was responsible for Renley's death? If he takes over Winterfell and rescues Sansa, I'm not sure what Brienne would honor more.

She won't see Stannis as having rescued Sansa. I think that in Brienne's mind, Sansa would still be a prisoner, yet now under Brienne's primary enemy.

I think she has two goals in life:

Kill Stannis
Find and protect the Stark children

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
She won't see Stannis as having rescued Sansa. I think that in Brienne's mind, Sansa would still be a prisoner, yet now under Brienne's primary enemy.

I think she has two goals in life:

Kill Stannis
Find and protect the Stark children

She fought to get on Renley's Kingsguard and was accused of killing him and want's Stannis dead, as she said she saw his face on the shadow.

And she swore to Cat to protect her children.

She's pretty much dead set on being honorable at any cost, if that ever breaks down would be odd.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Is no one else outraged at the paraplegic joke?!

"No wonder you cannot stand. You have no spine."

Being unable to walk is a serious condition and jokes making fun of it only invite other people to disrespect this group of suffering, often bigoted against, people.

This show is disgusting, and I will personally boycott it until around Sunday at 7pm. and THEN I will boycott it for another 10 or so months!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Is no one else outraged at the paraplegic joke?!

"No wonder you cannot stand. You have no spine."

Being unable to walk is a serious condition and jokes making fun of it only invite other people to disrespect this group of suffering, often bigoted against, people.

This show is disgusting, and I will personally boycott it until around Sunday at 7pm. and THEN I will boycott it for another 10 or so months!

;)

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Mind you that's an oil lantern. I presume oil splashed onto the wight.
So why no flame throwers? The Greeks had them. The ancient Chinese had them. It's seems to be basic human instinct to want to light other people on fire.

dXzxcmc.png

Z

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
So why no flame throwers? The Greeks had them. The ancient Chinese had them.

Not very portable though. BUT, we do know that at least Tyrion and some alchemists know how to make wildfire. Be rad to see some incendiary hand grenades.

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

When she took the oath to Cat Stark, the same oath she's keeping by trying to protect Sansa, her one exception to complete devotion was that if she has a chance to avenge Renley by killing Stannis, she would be allowed.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I don't recall how anyone knows Stannis was behind the red witches assassination of Renley? Or how it leads back to Stannis, who I don't recall actually knows how it was done?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't recall how anyone knows Stannis was behind the red witches assassination of Renley? Or how it leads back to Stannis, who I don't recall actually knows how it was done?

Brienne recognized "the face of Stannis Baratheon" in the shadow baby assassin.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Brienne was in the room and watched it happen. She saw the face of Stannis on the vagina shadow monster. She's mentioned that at least a dozen times or so.

I think Katlyn Stark was the only other person in that room when it happened. ANd they both claimed it was Stannis.

FWIW, I never did see a face on the thing, it wasn't very obvious to me that it had a face, but that's their story.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

They were, but more so they were effectively turned into robots, i.e. they're supposed to have absolutely no fear or reservations, such as when they first showed them off and the one guy didn't hesitate to slice his own nipple off, and would have killed himself if given the command.

while this might not seem like a weakness, it can be when we consider how a healthy amount of fear can be necessary to maintain self preservation; basically an Unsullied might not consider an alternative path in an otherwise hopeless situation and thus needlessly sacrifice themselves.

Basically all fight, no flight, and that means situations where it would be better to retreat and regroup might not happen without specific commands to do so.

that being said, I think any scenes we see of the Unsullied getting worked over seem to be lazy and/or cheap writing/show production. It seems like they want a cheap way of getting the audience anxious and scared and having Unsullied be this nearly unstoppable force they've been portrayed as would deny that sensation, so they're making sure we see them getting killed off quite regularly (granted, they're doing it too much without emphasizing their competence, cheapening the impact). On the other side of it, while this show certainly isn't low budget, its scope means that it can't exactly be high budget for every aspect, and thus far the combat sequences haven't exactly been anything earth shattering by industry standards, so we're certainly not going to get Unsullied that look like the Spartans from 300, even if that's how they initially came across as.

Yeah, maybe their training was too structured and they dont adapt well to spontaneous situations. Probably just weak writing...there is no reason to think the Harpies should be this tough. It seems like they didnt even exist before Dany showed up.

yeah, it seems to me that its just the show trying to get a cheap rise out of the audience, "oh no all the super soldiers are getting killed left and right, no one is safe!!! we r so scared!"

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Brienne recognized "the face of Stannis Baratheon" in the shadow baby assassin.

Brienne was in the room and watched it happen. She saw the face of Stannis on the vagina shadow monster. She's mentioned that at least a dozen times or so.

I think Katlyn Stark was the only other person in that room when it happened. ANd they both claimed it was Stannis.

FWIW, I never did see a face on the thing, it wasn't very obvious to me that it had a face, but that's their story.

Thanks.

btw I thought it was made clear the Unsullieds strength was their complete loyalty, not their fighting ability. They are a well trained army whose primary mission is to defeat other armies and they do it so well because of their loyalty.

Calling them "super" soldiers hasn't been supported at all, imo. In fact Daario continually points out to Dany how his Second Sons are more suited as an occupation force than the Unsullied who captured the city.

matricks

Nov 19, 2014

Shadow baby didn't have a face all the time, it's just floating gas. Just before it stabs Renly Stannis' face appears at the top of it. I didn't notice it the first time either, but did when I rewatched and looked for it.

I am very curious to see if, or how, the sacrifice will pay off. And if Selyse will have faith in Lord of Light, or something else (minor detail, just wondering how cultist she is).