Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 453 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
People pointed out that the "harpies are killing masters now" but they also missed that some of the harpies were also masters (at least clothed as such). It seem they are a faction from all walks of life. I suspect Hizdar was in on things as Darrio suggested but he was betrayed because he's "with the queen now".

So, he was checking to make sure the attack was in place, but didn't realize they planned on killing him too

Yeah, that was my take on it too.

Hey, at least you remembered his name. Half the people just refer to him as the guy whose name I can't remember.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I don't think it matters much except as additional detail going forward as I recall that the harpies gladly killed him as well. Unless that was someone else I mistook for her new husband/fiance.

Nope, he was clearly stabbed in the chest.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Yeah, that was my take on it too.

Hey, at least you remembered his name. Half the people just refer to him as the guy whose name I can't remember.

It's fucking hard, and I cheat to look people up so I get the reference right instead of saying that guy killed the other guy with the thing. Sometimes my search isn't much different than "guy who married dany".

:p

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
cant believe the season is about to end in a few days.
how time flew from when the 1st 4 epsidoes were leaked.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The next season should be a prequel season with the backstory from the book. You know: events leading up to Jaime becoming the Kingslayer, Robert's Rebellion, Ned and his sister, etc. That might be acceptable filler.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
The next season should be a prequel season with the backstory from the book. You know: events leading up to Jaime becoming the Kingslayer, Robert's Rebellion, Ned and his sister, etc. That might be acceptable filler.

Dear God no.. it'll kill the pacing. Spartacus did that and it was stupid. GoT lives off the idea that no one is safe. Doing a prequel wouldn't have that drama at all. It's hard to care one about the story when you know who's going to make it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Dear God no.. it'll kill the pacing. Spartacus did that and it was stupid. GoT lives off the idea that no one is safe. Doing a prequel wouldn't have that drama at all. It's hard to care one about the story when you know who's going to make it.

They can do it in a way that advances the story. They can tell some of the remaining story that is written including some of the ignored side stories and then have contextual flashback scenes in each episode to explain how we got here. I'd love to see Ned Stark again. I'd love to see the Mad King. I'd love to see Rob/Jon/Theon as their younger, living/free/whole, selves.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
No, what we need is spinoffs: Game of Thrones: After Dark. A series focusing on how Littlefinger built up his brothel empire.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I would love that, but I don't think we're going to see it.

if the show runners were interested in stretching out the series for time, they wouldn't have already cut out so many cool characters/plotlines.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Nah, we need more than one brothel.

Tyrion: the college years.

About how he partied his way through the free cities.

That is what is cool about spinoffs, we can have many of them!

Game of Thrones: After Dark - A drama about the rise of Littlefinger as he starts his brothel empire.

Games of Thrones: The College Years - a sitcom featuring Tyrion as he parries his way through the free cities, while trying to scam gold from his taciturn father and keep his insesuious siblings from busting him and ending the gravy train.

Game of Thrones: Tully and Friends - A animated family feature about a young Samwell Tarly and his gang of misfits and the hijinks they get into.

Game of Thrones: Stark Justice - A crime procedural set during the long summer focusing on Ned Stark investigating crimes and executing the guilty with his big sword.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
People pointed out that the "harpies are killing masters now" but they also missed that some of the harpies were also masters (at least clothed as such). It seem they are a faction from all walks of life. I suspect Hizdar was in on things as Darrio suggested but he was betrayed because he's "with the queen now".

So, he was checking to make sure the attack was in place, but didn't realize they planned on killing him too.

That's possible. Given how widespread the harpies are and how prominent he was, Hizdar had to have known something. I doubt he was actively involved though, at the very least he certainly wasn't the ringleader. The harpies seem to be painting themselves into a corner now, what with the killing of other masters as well as soldiers and former slaves. They're basically pissing off everyone, so either they have a brilliant plan to make a play for the city or they're idiots. :p

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
That's possible. Given how widespread the harpies are and how prominent he was, Hizdar had to have known something. I doubt he was actively involved though, at the very least he certainly wasn't the ringleader. The harpies seem to be painting themselves into a corner now, what with the killing of other masters as well as soldiers and former slaves. They're basically pissing off everyone, so either they have a brilliant plan to make a play for the city or they're idiots. :p

It hasn't really been shown, but they are killing loan people in relative secret. This is their first outright brazen attack on the queen.

You guys need to remember, even whores and slaves had been helping the harpies. Why? Who knows.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Depending on what secrets GRR Martin still has hidden a prequel like that might have to tread carefully regarding spoilers affecting the remaining seasons.

It could be that a couple hour t.v. movie could be enough to provide enough spoiler free background to events 15-18 years ago that lead to the rebellion.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Depending on what secrets GRR Martin still has hidden a prequel like that might have to tread carefully regarding spoilers affecting the remaining seasons.

It could be that a couple hour t.v. movie could be enough to provide enough spoiler free background to events 15-18 years ago that lead to the rebellion.

I don't think it would work as a full season, but some mini series might be nice. Filling in the gaps during Robert's Rebellion (avoiding spoilers, hopefully) and possibly Aegon the Conquerer uniting the 7 Kingdoms. Well, technically, 6 and a few generations later marrying into Dorne submission.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
As far as I can remember HBO only has the rights to the Ice and Fire novels, so they would need to negotiate with Martin to make anything else.

Martin has already written some prequel novellas set ~90 yrs before the books, Tales of Dunk and Egg (Egg is Maester Aemon's brother, he talked about him on his death bed few episodes back).

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Is it me or are the white walker's army of wights not a big deal at all? Everyone should just arm themselves with torches and they're all dead. Then you have like 13 white walkers to deal with. Hell, if Dany ever gets to westeros with her dragons, she'll finish them all off in mere seconds.

Have been wondering myself why they aren't just lighting the wights up more often myself.

Jon of all people knows that one.

When watching the Hardhome episode with the wife I was even remarking then that they should just be lighting that wooden wall on fire when they were storming it.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Lightning up wights with what? Lightning something like bone or cold dead flesh on fire with a torch isn't exactly quick without some accelerant. Meanwhile another dozen dead are chopping you into bits.

Last edited:

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Hopefully this doesn't break the rules but was Drogon so weak against the harpies in the books? It's kind of annoying how the stormtroopers of GoT are putting up such a fight against the unsullied and now a dragon.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Lightning up wights with what? Lightning something like bone or cold dead flesh on fire with a torch isn't exactly quick without some accelerant. Meanwhile another dozen dead are chopping you into bits.

Seems they usually light up a bit just on contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2TlSM-2SyI

At least the giant was using a big torch more or less awhile there, but he was stomping on em likes roaches too.

Last edited: