Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 452 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if the show has caught up w/the books, wonder whats going to happen next season?

me too :eek:

the tv show isn't quite caught up with the books, but I fail to see how it won't be by the end of the current season (ignoring characters/plots from the books that were dropped and never made it into the series)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I so would love for this to happen:
hbo creates the script for all 10 episodes for next season and finishes shooting the 1st 3 episodes.
then grrm tells them that he's 90% finished with the next book.

hbo goes ahead shooting the other 7 episodes using it's script.
grrm releases his book on the same day the next season premieres on tv.

Now hbo can call their show an Original :p

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I wanna see whitewalker and valerian backstory

oh.. a filler season, like they did with Sparticus.

but that's going to be expensive since you still need to pay the current principle actors for a year and a half during the filler season?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Don't they have to shoot most of next season THIS summer?

Or they could pull a Sopranos and take 2-3 years between seasons.

I thought they were already shooting the next season. :hmm:

KT

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Don't they have to shoot most of next season THIS summer?

Or they could pull a Sopranos and take 2-3 years between seasons.

They have not been having their heads up their asses like they did with Sopranos.

"It's not TV it's HBO" means that YOU are not the product. In TV you are the product and the customers arethe advertisers; on HBO you are the customer and HBO is there to serve you.

Back when the Sopranos aired we had information an synchronicity. Most people didn't know to just log into the internet and search "when is the next episode of Sopranos"; if they did, they would have canceled their HBO subscription for 2-3 years. Today, with the customer so much better informed, we can check "when is X show coming back".

And people do have tolerance limits; if they watch a show that lasts 3 months and comes on every year; and they watch one or two other shows that also last 3 months, they will not bother to cancel for the 3-6 months that they aren't really getting their value out of the service.

But when subscriptions start taking years on end to justify their presence; that's when modern subscribers start re-thinking the value propositions. True Econs, economically rational agents, would just un-subscribe every time what they want to see goes away; but that's just now how real humans work, and HBO knows it.

Last edited:

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
From what I heard GRRM say, The books and TV show will tell their own stories but end with the same conclusion, whatever that may be.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
if the show has caught up w/the books, wonder whats going to happen next season?

Haven't read all the posts so this may already have been answered, but I think I read that GRRM has already given HBO a general outline of how the books are to end in the future. Yeah, a lot of details are missing I'm sure (and HBO can fill those in), but they'll know the general direction to take.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
me too :eek:

the tv show isn't quite caught up with the books, but I fail to see how it won't be by the end of the current season (ignoring characters/plots from the books that were dropped and never made it into the series)

I have a feeling the next book will be released before next season. It's the only reason not to cover the Bran arc this season, because George wanted to reveal it. They won't wait 2 seasons to touch his story, waiting 1 only make sense if the book is released soon.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
God fucking dammit. No one was posting book spoilers until Techs bitched about it. Then Perk had to remind people.

Then someone fucking posted book spoilers.

Fuck you.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
10156146_837299256307923_775336765984197621_n.jpg

:D

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, so many questions from that scene...

It look like Drogon killed most of the Harpies, why did he fly Dany off?
Why did Dany want him to fly her away?
Because she could?
Where's he going with her?
I always thought that she was going to circle back but the episode cut it before showing that part since the directors wanted to open the next episode with a good roast.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I always thought that she was going to circle back but the episode cut it before showing that part since the directors wanted to open the next episode with a good roast.
next episode, everyone is killed by harpies unless:
Danny's dragon
doth dawn
Dinky's dong!

Such is the power of a dwarf dinky

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yeah, so many questions from that scene...

It look like Drogon killed most of the Harpies, why did he fly Dany off?
Why did Dany want him to fly her away?
Because she could?
Where's he going with her?

and wtf Dany has no archers in her army?!
heck, Dario doesn't have archers in his mercenary company?

and where were Dario's men in the Arena?

as for Dany:
I hope dragoon brings her to Valaria where she'll find the Lanisters lost Valarian sword.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Strafing run.

yeah.,. wtf dragoon landing instead of circling and just firebreathing everyone with a mask?

wonder what the kill ratio is for the Unsullied?
the show makes it look like 2 harpies per 1 unsullied, which is stupid low unless the harpies are secretly a merc company with skills almost rivaling the Unsullied?

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Strafing run.

He could have opened with that, like in Astapor.

I think we're done with that scene, he pretty much cleared the arena, and the rest of Dany's people would mop up. I think he's taking her somewhere, Valyria? Drogon knows where it is, and it's her family's home city. When I thought of that, it made me think on the grey scale people there. Maybe there's more to them...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Is it me or are the white walker's army of wights not a big deal at all? Everyone should just arm themselves with torches and they're all dead. Then you have like 13 white walkers to deal with. Hell, if Dany ever gets to westeros with her dragons, she'll finish them all off in mere seconds.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So do we think her husband guy is in on things at all? It was weird that he was late to the proceedings; seemed sketchy.

KT

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
So do we think her husband guy is in on things at all? It was weird that he was late to the proceedings; seemed sketchy.

KT

People pointed out that the "harpies are killing masters now" but they also missed that some of the harpies were also masters (at least clothed as such). It seem they are a faction from all walks of life. I suspect Hizdar was in on things as Darrio suggested but he was betrayed because he's "with the queen now".

So, he was checking to make sure the attack was in place, but didn't realize they planned on killing him too.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

KT

I don't think it matters much except as additional detail going forward as I recall that the harpies gladly killed him as well. Unless that was someone else I mistook for her new husband/fiance.