Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 451 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
It's gonna get bigger, no? I want it to go to town killings companies of men and shrugging off most hand-held weapons.

In the first season a Dragon Skull can be seen that is about the size of a small truck indicating one that could swallow a person or two whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPVM7gZ23Ww
^Arya is marveling at the skull then hears voices and hides from them inside the skull. It's low quality footage but you can see the size of the fangs in the video clearly and compare them to the size of Drogon's.

So based on footage from the show there is potential for them to get much larger than Drogon was when Dany flew on his back in the last episode.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The more I think about it the more I agree; whoever posted Stannis takes WF, and Brienne kills Stannis is right.

I don't see Brienne killing Stannis. At least, not this season. He will take Winterfell and the Boltons will do something drastic to survive.

As far as time lines, IIRC, it is just under 3 years has taken place.

In the first season a Dragon Skull can be seen that is about the size of a small truck indicating one that could swallow a small car.

^Arya is marveling at the skull then hears voices and hides from them inside the skull.

So based on footage from the show there is potential for them to get much larger than Drogon was when Dany flew on his back in the last episode.

While that is true, we don't know how old those particular dragon's eggs were. If they weren't that old, the dragons could be much smaller. I suppose someone could see how long it takes for an egg to fossilize and we'd have a relative amount of years that have passed.

Mar 10, 2005
While that is true, we don't know how old those particular dragon's eggs were. If they weren't that old, the dragons could be much smaller. I suppose someone could see how long it takes for an egg to fossilize and we'd have a relative amount of years that have passed.

it doesn't matter.
less magic in the world = fewer, smaller dragons
more magic = more, larger dragons (and white walkers, god of light, and whoever else)

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
In the first season a Dragon Skull can be seen that is about the size of a small truck indicating one that could swallow a person or two whole.

^Arya is marveling at the skull then hears voices and hides from them inside the skull. It's low quality footage but you can see the size of the fangs in the video clearly and compare them to the size of Drogon's.

Yeah, there was a whole collection of them when she was "chasing cats"

I just try not to get overly elaborate these days.

Not even sure is she went down the whole line in the video...

Feb 6, 2007

What does that have to do with anything? A creature grows based on how long it's been alive, not how old its egg was when it was hatched. Maybe the dragons with the SUV skulls were centuries old, in which case we probably won't ever see Drogon that large because the show is unlikely to suddenly leap forward several hundred years, but why would the age of the egg have any bearing whatsoever on the maximum size Drogon is capable of reaching? I think the implication is that Drogon is still young and immature and is far from reaching his maximum size (not unlike a 3-year-old human). Whether Dany can wait that long is another question; it's likely she'll need to end up going to war with dragons that could be killed with a well placed archer volley. In which case, how much help are they really, given that she probably doesn't want to risk them dying?

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
A casual viewer here.

How much time has elapsed since the dragons hatched? Feels like eternity.

All that time and the dragon is barely a size of a SUV. It's injured easily by a handful of men throwing spears.

It's gonna get bigger, no? I want it to go to town killings companies of men and shrugging off most hand-held weapons.

The dragons from the age of conquest and subsequent started getting smaller. Many theories why, no concrete answers. I prefer the idea that they are linked to the magic in the world, but its just an idea.

That said, Drogon is not full grown. He is too young.

Also, for the whiny brats like techs., you're gonna have to find a new hobby to bitch about. As of this Sunday night, the show will have caught up to the major events in the books, and in several cases passed the books. So get the sand out of your vagina and just enjoy the fandom coming together. Trying to pretend the source material doesn't exist even after its already been done on screen is purely ridiculous.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I am thinking along that lines, too, but I can't remember if every season had a new winter coming.

"Winter" in this world is more of a time period. It isn't a season. it doesn't happen every year, it happens every...some number of years. When this storyline started, Winter hadn't occurred in something like 14 or 16 years. I think Robb Stark was born at the end of the most recent winter, and the younger Stark kids had never seen one.

When it happens, it can be short--like 5 years long? or long...a few decades?

Winter ranges somewhere between mild and horribly, terribly, "zombie-murder bad"

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Also, for the whiny brats like techs., you're gonna have to find a new hobby to bitch about. As of this Sunday night, the show will have caught up to the major events in the books, and in several cases passed the books. So get the sand out of your vagina and just enjoy the fandom coming together. Trying to pretend the source material doesn't exist even after its already been done on screen is purely ridiculous.

About 5-8 pages ago, blankslate/mongrel/others posted spoilers and links to excerpts from the books about events which were not covered in the tv series. That started others posting theories(no I'm not referring to the Jon Snow one) which are typically discussed by book reading forums.

And because their posts are frequently edited I guess they might be posting spoilers and ninja editing them quickly afterwards just to be annoying and then posting spoiler tags jokes to get a rise from others. So they are being sly about it so as to look innocent.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
What does that have to do with anything? A creature grows based on how long it's been alive, not how old its egg was when it was hatched. Maybe the dragons with the SUV skulls were centuries old, in which case we probably won't ever see Drogon that large because the show is unlikely to suddenly leap forward several hundred years, but why would the age of the egg have any bearing whatsoever on the maximum size Drogon is capable of reaching? I think the implication is that Drogon is still young and immature and is far from reaching his maximum size (not unlike a 3-year-old human). Whether Dany can wait that long is another question; it's likely she'll need to end up going to war with dragons that could be killed with a well placed archer volley. In which case, how much help are they really, given that she probably doesn't want to risk them dying?

No, they don't. Dragons got smaller and smaller. The last dragons were the size of cats. They didn't just suddenly die out. It is unclear if it is due to the lose of magic OR if the loss of magic was due to the dragons dying out. It is never explain. It is also a theory that as dragons are kept in captivity, they are smaller. This happens over a few centuries and we got tiny, sickly dragons. Drogon is the largest of the dragons, and he is the one flying free.

The age of the egg is relevant, because if it was the egg of one of the early dragons, it wouldn't be the size of a fucking cat. A dragon the size of a cat can't have a giant ass egg.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I don't see Brienne killing Stannis. At least, not this season. He will take Winterfell and the Boltons will do something drastic to survive.

Possibly next season, but I see it as her end. Either she gets him and faces some punishment, or dies trying.

I think 3-4 years is about right.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

I don't think they were fossilized. I think they just assumed so because they wouldn't know that it was how they were supposed to be so long after dragons existed. The way I understood it is that they require fire to hatch much like some pine cones require a forest fire to open up and release seeds. They simply didn't know and, thus, the viable eggs were passed down for years and years and years.

As far as I can tell 1 season = 1 year. Says something like that on the wiki.
I am thinking along that lines, too, but I can't remember if every season had a new winter coming.
One TV show season. Jesus. Are we even watching the same show?! How can you miss that it has been at least a decade and a half since the last winter and that the seasons are variable in length and severity? What were you doing when the show talks about this stuff to tune it out? The show is much too complex to follow if you watch it that casually. LISTEN.

No, I'm not really blowing a fuse over this, especially since you are probably trolling or joking.

The show made it pretty clear that the size of adult dragons decreasing through the generations had nothing to do with life expectancy.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
About 5-8 pages ago, blankslate/mongrel/others posted spoilers and links to excerpts from the books about events which were not covered in the tv series. That started others posting theories(no I'm not referring to the Jon Snow one) which are typically discussed by book reading forums.

And because their posts are frequently edited I guess they might be posting spoilers and ninja editing them quickly afterwards just to be annoying and then posting spoiler tags jokes to get a rise from others. So they are being sly about it so as to look innocent.

Actually no I posted a page from the Game of Thrones Wiki about the
Assassin that went after Bran. the first parts of that page were about the show and lower it did go into details from the books but those were far back in season one and perhaps seasons two or three. So as to not matter as there such little chance that they would impact the current season's events.

I did not post book events about the current season that weren't covered by the show.

You should audition for a part as one of Jonathan Price's Lieutenants in the show actually. You'd make Cersei's cousin, Lancel, look like a mewling kitty-kat by comparison.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
turns out the entire show and book series is in a teenagers mind while he is comatose.

got kicked by a horse at a renaissance fair.

read if you dare!

:awe:

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
"Winter" in this world is more of a time period. It isn't a season. it doesn't happen every year, it happens every...some number of years. When this storyline started, Winter hadn't occurred in something like 14 or 16 years. I think Robb Stark was born at the end of the most recent winter, and the younger Stark kids had never seen one.

When it happens, it can be short--like 5 years long? or long...a few decades?

Winter ranges somewhere between mild and horribly, terribly, "zombie-murder bad"

**REMOVED**

Please do not post spoilers in this TV thread. There is a separate thread for those who have read the book.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Oh snap, I forgot. In my defense, the show mentioned it too, in season 3 I think.

Speaking of Alliser, he hates Ghost so much, perfect for Ghost's dinner.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Actually no I posted a page from the Game of Thrones Wiki about the Assassin that went after Bran. the first parts of that page were about the show and lower it did go into details from the books but those were far back in season one and perhaps seasons two or three. So as to not matter as there such little chance that they would impact the current season's events.

Keep your personal comments off this forum. As per the OP, this thread should not contain book spoilers and not just show spoilers. So no spoilers for those who may read the books in future. Moderators have have it clear in this thread but you keep ignoring it.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Keep your personal comments off this forum. As per the OP, this thread should not contain book spoilers and not just show spoilers. So no spoilers for those who may read the books in future. Moderators have have it clear in this thread but you keep ignoring it.

Yep, this. Can't believe we are having this conversation again and it's the same fucking people doing it. o_O

KT

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
that post in question wasn't a spoiler... under the spoiler blackout, it just said "spoiler"

Am I supposed to read spoilers tags to find out that they don't really contain spoilers? Spoiler tags really have no place in this thread.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

The series page covered the show information at the top and clearly separated book information and put it at the bottom. So a wiki page about the show is off limits too? Duly noted.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
if the show has caught up w/the books, wonder whats going to happen next season?