Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 448 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
A few seasons ago, Melisandre said Stannis would betray everything he believed in but it would be worth it. The burning of his daughter is how far he has sunk going along with the fire god. But at least he'll take winterfell, if the visions about him being on the ramparts of winterfell are true.

thought the vision was of the red witch being on the ramparts of winterfell and not stannis?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
so are people now boycotting the show since they burnt a little girl alive? surely that is worse than "rape".

Nope, barely a blip, I think people are pre-boycotting because they think Arya is about to get raped.

Same with me. Hated the guy up through the end of last season. Stannis always seemed like an irrational prick only ever looking out for himself, to the detriment of sound judgement and strategy. Plus that whole "burning people alive really is OK, because religion" thing.

This season, he really was shown as being the only lord out there that actually understood what was going on--the trouble at the wall and the zombie army being the real threat--on top of being bound and determined to murder as many Lannister bastards as possible. Noble and proper goals, both of those. Even when you thought he would toss wee John Snow on the pyre for granting mercy to Mance, thus disobeying "the king," Stannis was like: "You know, that guy has balls. I like balls. Let's work with this guy. fuck yeah." Then the daughter speech...I guess it somehow became easy to forget the whole "Magic 8-bale says to make a human torch. Let's do that!" issue with Stannis.

Well, now he's just another wise and beautiful woman in Westeros. I don't see Davos returning to his side; but Stannis already knew that, which is why he sent him away. As soon as Stannis requested Davos to deliver the message--before he even insisted--I was like, "Aw fuck!"

That middle part is the key. He really seemed to be the only one who really had a handle on what the hell was happening out there. Now it seems the magic boobies lady is taking over far too much.

KT

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
He's desperate. He sees Blackwater Bay all over again, last time he didn't take her and lost. He's losing again without her, the raid basically left him 2 choices: red woman, or lose.

To clarify, I meant compared to his literary counterpart. He doesn't burn his daughter to death.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I love how there isn't a cluster fuck of arguments going on in here now, even though a little girl got burnt alive and another one was obviously sexually abused/raped.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I love how there isn't a cluster fuck of arguments going on in here now, even though a little girl got burnt alive and another one was obviously sexually abused/raped.

Human sacrifice and abuse of women is a factual part of our human history. Omission of such events would be an obvious denial of the truth and disrupt the sense of realism (the human nature part, not the dragons...lol).

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

At least part of that is because we have covered it so much and there has been so much to cover. It has just come at us time and again recently it has just morphed into a single issue. New atrocities are just tossed on the heap of the old ones and don't seem as unique as they once did.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
thought the vision was of the red witch being on the ramparts of winterfell and not stannis?

Yes, you're right, the red witch walking in Winterfell while Bolton banners taken down. Still sounds like a Stannis victory unless Melisandre is playing a nasty trick on him. Which brings to mind, the other red priestess in Volantis who was saying Daenerys was the chosen one to the crowd. It sounds like the red god religion is playing the game of thrones themselves.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Because it's a tv show, and this kind of human behavior is a large part of human history, especially the middle ages which the show particularly represents.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Human sacrifice and abuse of women is a factual part of our human history. Omission of such events would be an obvious denial of the truth and disrupt the sense of realism (the human nature part, not the dragons...lol).

At least part of that is because we have covered it so much and there has been so much to cover. It has just come at us time and again recently it has just morphed into a single issue. New atrocities are just tossed on the heap of the old ones and don't seem as unique as they once did.

Because it's a tv show, and this kind of human behavior is a large part of human history, especially the middle ages which the show particularly represents.

Right. My point was, it's ironic to me how people flipped their shit over the Sansa scene (a depiction of what unfortunately happened often) but I haven't seen people flipping out over a little girl being burnt alive, which one could argue is many times worse than what Sansa had to endure.

Both of those things, plus the young girl being taken away to be abused are all things that I'm sure happened with out consequence throughout human history. It's funny though how people latched on to the scene with Sansa and cried out how horrible it was to show rape on TV, despite all the other horrible things that have been shown.

Just on observation.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Right. My point was, it's ironic to me how people flipped their shit over the Sansa scene (a depiction of what unfortunately happened often) but I haven't seen people flipping out over a little girl being burnt alive, which one could argue is many times worse than what Sansa had to endure.

Both of those things, plus the young girl being taken away to be abused are all things that I'm sure happened with out consequence throughout human history. It's funny though how people latched on to the scene with Sansa and cried out how horrible it was to show rape on TV, despite all the other horrible things that have been shown.

Just on observation.

widen the observation, though... the criticism over the Sansa rape didn't happen in a vacuum, it was largely built upon how often the writers of this show go to rape as a plot device, and sometimes just as background noise.

you might see the same criticism if the audience had to see kids being burned at the stake as frequently.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nope, barely a blip, I think people are pre-boycotting because they think Arya is about to get raped.

I hope those people have been "paying attention," then. Coming after Arya is likely to get yourself stuck with a different type of pointy end.

I guess this is the week that she recovers her needle from the rocks.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I hope those people have been "paying attention," then. Coming after Arya is likely to get yourself stuck with a different type of pointy end.

I guess this is the week that she recovers her needle from the rocks.

I agree. However I try not to get my hopes up with this show. :D

KT

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Just on observation.

In this thread people were disturbed by the girl getting burned alive. It may not have had the staying power of Sansa (prob because no one is doubting if it's a girl being burned alive or if she consented to it) but it did happen. There is a point about the girl getting abused by the Kings guard guy, but I'm sure because they didn't show it people are convincing themselves that they just played checkers and talked about Taylor Swift all night.

widen the observation, though... the criticism over the Sansa rape didn't happen in a vacuum, it was largely built upon how often the writers of this show go to rape as a plot device, and sometimes just as background noise.

you might see the same criticism if the audience had to see kids being burned at the stake as frequently.

If rape is not a plot device or background noise, what is it?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
If rape is not a plot device or background noise, what is it?

rape is fine as a plot device, like anything else... but I think the writers of this show go a bit overboard with it.

like, how many female characters in this show haven't been either raped or threatened with sexual violence? I'm struggling to think of anyone other than Olenna and Margaery.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I tend to agree a bit, at one point he was turning towards her and just turning when he got hit with a spear to try the little dude throwing it.

I do think they are still leveling up, dragons from some stories never actually stop growing do they, I think they are still growing.

Think if Drogon was Smaug size :p

you have to remember the dragons are what 2-3 years old

Balerion - the dragon Aegon the Conqueror rode when he conquered westeros died at the age of 200. he was large enough to swallow a mammoth whole

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

well if the one in the brothel looked 10 then maybe there will be more talk.
but she easily looks 16, if not 18.

now all the speculation is will aria try to seduce the kingsguard to get close to him?
what if she fumbles and spills the poison while being alone in the room w/him?
or what if the bottle the faceless man gave her is harmless and he was just testing her?

again, what will she do once Plan A fails? dagger? get raped? run out of room?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
GoT_spoiler_warning.gif

spoilersspoilerhspoileruspoilertspoileryspoilerospoileruspoilerrspoilerfspoileruspoilercspoilerkspoilerispoilernspoilergspoilercspoilerospoilercspoilerkspoiler-spoilerhspoilerospoilerlspoilersspoilertspoilerespoilerrspoilerjspoilerospoilerespoilermspoilercspoilercspoileraspoilerrspoilertspoilerhspoileryspoiler

I like it

s h u t y ou r f u c ki n g c o ck - h o l s t er j o e m cc a r t h y

is what I'm getting out of it lol

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Which makes me wonder, who the fuck wants to be close to Dany?

Let's stroll through a list of her advisers/friends and where they are today:
Viserys: Crown for a king.
Jorah: banished, dying.
Drogo: :(
Witch who "saved" Drogo: trial by fire.
3 Dothraki chicks: 1-2 killed in Qarth when the dragons were stolen, the traitor was vaulted.
3 Dothraki rider: head cut off, one MIA, one returns and we never really see him again.
Xaro ducksauce: Vaulted.
Barristan: KIA.
Hizdahr: Close but no cigar.
Grey Worm: injured, still around.
Daario: :D
Missandei: doing good.

I mean, statistically, those are terrible odds.

Good point, although I don't think the survival odds have been great for anyone in the series.

Except for Tyrion:

- Survived Lysa's trial by combat after being framed for Bran's attempted murder
- Survived an encounter with the extremely violent hill people
- Survived the subsequent battle he was thrust into, somehow
- Survived the Battle of Blackwater while being a major target
- Survived a literal death sentence after being framed for Joffrey's murder
- Survived slave traders wanting to kill and dismember him
- Survived a fighting pit trial where he would have almost certainly been killed were he not randomly freed
- Survived Dany who was contemplating killing him for being a Lannister (okay, this was probably not going to actually happen)
- Survived an all out assault by sons of the harpy thus far, even killing one himself, and it looks like he'll make it out of the arena alive

Dude is clearly invincible, I don't think he has much to worry about.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
you have to remember the dragons are what 2-3 years old

Balerion - the dragon Aegon the Conqueror rode when he conquered westeros died at the age of 200. he was large enough to swallow a mammoth whole

Yeah, I think people seem to forget that, for all intents and purposes, these dragons are still little kids, for lack of a better word.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Good point, although I don't think the survival odds have been great for anyone in the series.

Except for Tyrion:

- Survived Lysa's trial by combat after being framed for Bran's attempted murder
- Survived a fighting pit trial where he would have almost certainly been killed were he not randomly freed
- Survived Dany who was contemplating killing him for being a Lannister (okay, this was probably not going to actually happen)
- Survived an all out assault by sons of the harpy thus far, even killing one himself, and it looks like he'll make it out of the arena alive

4412081-1132736830-PlotA.jpg

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
rape is fine as a plot device, like anything else... but I think the writers of this show go a bit overboard with it.

like, how many female characters in this show haven't been either raped or threatened with sexual violence? I'm struggling to think of anyone other than Olenna and Margaery.

I'm really jaded towards violence in these kind of entertainment things and tend to agree with Alan Moore about how rape should be thrown in as we don't live in Victorian times and shouldn't pretend rape doesn't happen while glorifying other types of violence. I just was head scratching a bit when you said "the writers of this show go to rape as a plot device, and sometimes just as background noise." as if it's not one of those what else could it be? Seems to me it either serves the story or it's just background. I could be wrong, which is why I asked. I personally enjoy expanding my thoughts with other viewpoints.

Except for Tyrion:

He's the one character that I really think falls into the unkillable superhero trope on this show. I remember Martin saying that Tyrion was his favorite and it really shows. While he's had some bad things happen to him, I know that he'll survive and go on to other stuff. He's the only character I can say this with. Any other character would have been killed off a few times over by now.