Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 441 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sorry, all I heard was...

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!!

I mean, if I went 'round, saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! :awe:

gold. every damn line in that flick is quotable. Amazing how often I need to be reminded of that.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Oh we're going monty python, are we

Game-of-Thrones-Mountain-vs-Viper-End.jpg

"It's just a flesh wound."

Ah now we see the violence inherent in the system... we see the violence inherent in the system. Help help i'm being repressed!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
We haven't seen how the faith militant handles their trials yet (if they even bother with them) but "Trial by Combat" could be a fairly universal tradition in that world.

We don't know if they were disbanded before because their trials or punishments were especially cruel or if they were just the general fanatical doucheNozzles (imo) they appear to be.

Meh, I just assumed the Targaryans disarmed them because a bunch of armed religious fanatics is a threat unless you're one of them. A concept clearly lost on Cersei.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Does LF still have that dagger which was used to try and kill Bran? Wasn't it Valyrian steel? Maybe LF will take out a WW!

KT
yeah, it was valayian steel.

hm.. why the heck did Cersai give an assassin such a nice dagger to try to kill Bran with?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
hm.. why the heck did Cersai give an assassin such a nice dagger to try to kill Bran with?

It was just lying around in King Robert's collection. Valyrian steel would've been a large chunk of the price to an assassin presumably?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I think to tie it back to blame Tyrion? or was it Littlefinger? I forget who they tried to pin it on in the tv show.

Feb 6, 2007

It's never stated that Cersei was behind the assassination attempt on Bran. She told Jaime to push him out the window, sure, but nothing beyond that. At this point, I think it's a safe bet that it was Baelish's dagger the whole time and he framed Tyrion for the assassination attempt (by claiming he lost the dagger to Tyrion in a wager). After all, chaos is a ladder.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

The dagger was Litter Finger's, he said he lost it to Tyrion in a bet. I'm a bit confused how it got in the assassins hands. If LF really did have it, how did it get to WF so fast from KL? If Tyrion had it, how did Cersei get it to give to the assassin.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
It's never stated that Cersei was behind the assassination attempt on Bran. She told Jaime to push him out the window, sure, but nothing beyond that. At this point, I think it's a safe bet that it was Baelish's dagger the whole time and he framed Tyrion for the assassination attempt (by claiming he lost the dagger to Tyrion in a wager). After all, chaos is a ladder.

This is most likely, but LF wasn't in WF at the time, so how did he have time to hear about the attack, then send the assassin?

I don't think this was ever really resolved, it's clear Tyrion didn't do it, so that leaves Cersei or LF.

Feb 6, 2007
This is most likely, but LF wasn't in WF at the time, so how did he have time to hear about the attack, then send the assassin?

I don't think this was ever really resolved, it's clear Tyrion didn't do it, so that leaves Cersei or LF.

I was remembering a conversation Littlefinger had with Catelyn about it, but I had forgotten that took place in King's Landing, not on the road. So, yeah, that's never really explained. Because like Tyrion said, only a complete idiot would arm an assassin with their own weapon that was easily traced back to them. It doesn't make sense for Cersei to even have the weapon, let alone give it to an assassin.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Sorry, all I heard was...

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!!

I mean, if I went 'round, saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! :awe:

Is this from the Holy Grail?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
It's long past events so shouldn't be spoilerish, but who can tell with this crowd?

I don't mind reading more about things in the past, but it's not the crowd, it's the story. Having a reveal in Season 4 episode 9 or 10 from events in season 1 episode 1 gives people good reason to avoid "extra" stuff.

Is this from the Holy Grail?

Yes it is, Dennis the constitutional peasant.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I was remembering a conversation Littlefinger had with Catelyn about it, but I had forgotten that took place in King's Landing, not on the road. So, yeah, that's never really explained. Because like Tyrion said, only a complete idiot would arm an assassin with their own weapon that was easily traced back to them. It doesn't make sense for Cersei to even have the weapon, let alone give it to an assassin.
Wasn't there a conversation between littlefinger and Olenna Tyrell where they essentially admitted to having Joffrey killed?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
It was just lying around in King Robert's collection. Valyrian steel would've been a large chunk of the price to an assassin presumably?

I would imagine the assassin would have considered that payment in itself.

And Cersai probably would have known the story and has been trying to frame Tyrion since the whole show started, she wanted it to look like he was involved if he failed.

Tywin always told her she's not as smart as she thinks she is.

She likes to think she's sneaky, but doesn't really do it that well in many situations.

Daddy always covered for her, he's not there to do that now.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
Wasn't there a conversation between littlefinger and Olenna Tyrell where they essentially admitted to having Joffrey killed?

Not between them, but their various conversations with other people. Littlefinger directly admitted to Sansa that he had Joffrey killed and Olenna directly admitted to Margaery that she had Joffrey killed. And obviously we know they worked together. Not sure what that has to do with the assassination attempt on Bran in Season 1 though.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Not between them, but their various conversations with other people. Littlefinger directly admitted to Sansa that he had Joffrey killed and Olenna directly admitted to Margaery that she had Joffrey killed. And obviously we know they worked together. Not sure what that has to do with the assassination attempt on Bran in Season 1 though.

in the episode "the gift" they say it to each other

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
in the episode "the gift" they say it to each other

Yeah, but none of that is relevant to Bran's attempted murder.

I read that wiki link and it's extremely unlikely to spoil anything, but it makes sense. I don't see the show re-addressing that issue.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

first off, it wasn't established that it was Cersei

that being said:

1. it could be considered as the payment for such a high profile/risk/price job

2. its ties to previous owners make it harder to connect to the real culprit if not strongly implicate a false one to deflect suspicion (e.g. Catelyn was convinced with all her being that Tyrion was responsible when we know he is the furthest thing from stupid enough to commit such a massive blunder)

3. the real culprit could just be a massive imbecile to not know the value of the dagger, although Cersei is not an imbecile as much as she is arrogant

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I thought it was Joffrey who tried to kill Bran. It seemed like there was a lot of mischief going on that was assumed to be performed by Cersei, but later on turned out to be Joffrey.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
correct me if im wrong but was there not a scene between joffery and Tyrion where joffery states that it was him who tried to have bran killed. something about putting him out of his misery because he was now crippled or something like that

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
correct me if im wrong but was there not a scene between joffery and Tyrion where joffery states that it was him who tried to have bran killed. something about putting him out of his misery because he was now crippled or something like that

in the books, it's clearly stated to be Joffrey, and referenced at the wedding when he says he's "no stranger to Valeryian steel"

it's never really been claimed one way or the other in the tv show, though. the clues are there, but they've never come right out and said it.