Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 439 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Anyone else think the Lord of Bones will make another appearance as a member of the WW army? Did the dude in the red beard kill him or just beat the crap out of him and leave him unconscious on the ground? I could see it was a hell of a beating but I wasn't sure if he killed him or not.

I am also curious about Ollie. He comes across as a character who is gonna do something at the worst possible moment and kill a character we wanted to see move forward. I just get that feeling he's gonna be a huge buzzkill.

An a final thought. I am hoping that Brann does eventually warg into a dragon. That would be the the kind of justice he deserves after all the bad shit that's happened to him and his family. I am actually hoping all of Ned's children become super powerful in their own way. Aria as a powerful Faceless assassin, Brann as a master of warging and magic, and something cool for the other surviving children. John Snow seems to be coming into his own and I really like his character's section of the show so far. Badass. The Stark kids have been down and out long enough.

I'm pretty sure the Lord of Bones is dead, pooling blood after is a good clue but they didn't come right out and say it otherwise. I expect we'll see the new free folk woman Jon was talking to, so maybe him too.

I get the same feeling on Ollie, but I think they will go a different direction. They already played the buzzkill card with Ygritte.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I'm still hoping the youngest Stark (Rickon?) reappears.

Let's assume he's somewhere under the radar where no one will notice him, like with the hill people, becoming a legendary double battle axe warrior.

The good think for Rickon is hes being raised by hearty people who know how to survive. I do hope we see his babysitter again. She was pretty cool in a crazy eyes sorta way.

Hes gonna come back fully grown I would wager.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The good think for Rickon is hes being raised by hearty people who know how to survive. I do hope we see his babysitter again. She was pretty cool in a crazy eyes sorta way.

Hes gonna come back fully grown I would wager.

Probably a new actor too!

KT

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Game of Thrones visual effects editor mauled and killed by a lion

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...atherine-chappell-worked-game-thrones-n368946

Katherine Chappell, "was very much loved and shared her love for life with those she met," her mom Mary, father Jon and siblings Jennifer, Lauren and Ryan said in a Facebook.

Known as Katie, the 29-year-old will be mourned at a memorial service in her hometown of Rye, New York, on Saturday.

Chappell had been living in the Canadian city of Vancouver since 2013, where she worked as a visual effects editor.

Witnesses told park officials that the windows were down, Simpson added. He said there are numerous signs warning visitors to keep them up.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
How much of the dragon glass did they lose there? Sam and friends found a bunch of dragonglass in a cache a long time ago, but it was only about one satchel full. Was the entirety of that satchel lost in the battle, or just a portion of it?

BTW, it's too bad Jon didn't get to see for himself the effectiveness of the dragonglass, because as far as I remember from the last episode, NOBODY used dragonglass in the fight. OTOH, pretty useful information he got about the effectiveness of Valyrian steel.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
How much of the dragon glass did they lose there? Sam and friends found a bunch of dragonglass in a cache a long time ago, but it was only about one satchel full. Was the entirety of that satchel lost in the battle, or just a portion of it?

BTW, it's too bad Jon didn't get to see for himself the effectiveness of the dragonglass, because as far as I remember from the last episode, NOBODY used dragonglass in the fight. OTOH, pretty useful information he got about the effectiveness of Valyrian steel.

Jon hacked some of the normal zombie dudes to death with his sword and nothing special happened, they seemingly can be killed with normal weps as well

Valyrian steel/dragon glass is only needed against the true White Walkers it seems

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Jon hacked some of the normal zombie dudes to death with his sword and nothing special happened, they seemingly can be killed with normal weps as well

Valyrian steel/dragon glass is only needed against the true White Walkers it seems

I think those guys can rise again, with WW magic. I gathered that in the final shot, we were seeing all of the bodies raised, even the defeated zombie army soldiers.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I think those guys can rise again, with WW magic. I gathered that in the final shot, we were seeing all of the bodies raised, even the defeated zombie army soldiers.
Pretty sure that the wights can be defeated by completely hacking off certain parts of the body, but those hacked off parts will still be animated.

Decapitate one and the head will still bite and the body will still move about but won't be able to see or have direction.

Hack off legs and the remaining will crawl.

I don't think the walkers reattach limbs or anything.

I wonder how long a body can be dead for and still be reanimated. If there's no limit then simply going through some catacombs or graveyards would bolster their numbers.

Feb 6, 2007
Pretty sure that the wights can be defeated by completely hacking off certain parts of the body, but those hacked off parts will still be animated.

Decapitate one and the head will still bite and the body will still move about but won't be able to see or have direction.

Hack off legs and the remaining will crawl.

I don't think the walkers reattach limbs or anything.

I wonder how long a body can be dead for and still be reanimated. If there's no limit then simply going through some catacombs or graveyards would bolster their numbers.

We've seen reanimated skeletons, so it seems like they can be left out for a long time, especially in a frozen wasteland where things don't decay quickly. It also helps explain why fire is the preferred method of treating the dead; a reanimated pile of ash really isn't that intimidating.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I was actually thinking of Season 1, when Tyrion came through Winterfel and gave a schematic for a handicapped horse mount so that Bran could ride.

Obviously if Dany's ancestors rode dragons, then at some point they need to rig up a mount. How convenient that Tyrion just arrived.

Excellent! I'd forgotten about that.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Excellent! I'd forgotten about that.

Me too, well at least I didn't connect it to him riding dragons.

So many details over so many hours of shows. As we learned with LF's admission that he helped kill Jon Arryn (the event that started the show) about 4 seasons later, they can still be important.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Me too, well at least I didn't connect it to him riding dragons.

So many details over so many hours of shows. As we learned with LF's admission that he helped kill Jon Arryn (the event that started the show) about 4 seasons later, they can still be important.

Does LF still have that dagger which was used to try and kill Bran? Wasn't it Valyrian steel? Maybe LF will take out a WW!

KT

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I first assumed it was her kids or nieces/nephews, because of her speech at the meeting regarding her dead family. That show seemed to imply recognition more than plain old fear...but without her saying that directly, it's hard to say.
I don't think it was just that she had a weakness for children, I think it was to show us that the entire Freefolk army is near despair. When she saw that even the dead children were coming back to fight she gave up. This fight is looking more and more hopeless, and moral is at an all time low. They need a victory soon.

from what we've seen on the show, though, she hasn't really even researched anything with regards to how to control them.... maybe Tyrion will help change that.

The main problem with Dany's plotline is that she has been in 100% reaction mode. She never takes any initiative. She spends all her time just reacting to what other people do. She has a goal, to conquer the 7 kingdoms, but she has no long term plan to accomplish that.
Enter Tyrion, master of complex plans, rivaled in that department only by Littlerfinger. Hopefully soon to be joined by Varys, the lord of convoluted plots. Things will soon start to move in Dany's storyline.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yes! I miss Varys! Was hoping he would pop up last episode.

KT

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i wonder how the new hand of the king (Lord kevin?) is going to clean up Cersai's mess w/the zealots?

he seems to have a backbone like his brother, Tywin.

obvious: rescind the zealots authority and de-militarize them

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
i wonder how the new hand of the king (Lord kevin?) is going to clean up Cersai's mess w/the zealots?

Kevan is the father of Lancel, the one who's ratting out Cersei for being a "friendly" cousin. So, not sure which side he's going to be on.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
Kevan is the father of Lancel, the one who's currently ratting out Cersei. So, not sure which side he's going to be on.

He already doesn't like Cersei, and if he holds her responsible for fucking his son up and turning him into a lunatic fanatic, why would he intervene on her behalf in a trial that could see her killed? He's got no love for the Tyrells either, so there's no incentive for him to save Margaery. Maybe if he shares his brother's passion for protecting the family, but Tywin was fine with killing Tyrion when he had a chance, and that was his own son, not a nephew/niece who may have ruined his own son's chance to bear heirs. I can see Kevan taking the "honorable" side and trying to save his flesh and blood, but it seems to make a lot more sense that he'd take the opportunity to say "fuck you very much Cersei" and not bother.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I think Kevan is still a "ser," since Cersei is technically Lord Lady of Casterly Rock

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
He already doesn't like Cersei, and if he holds her responsible for fucking his son up and turning him into a lunatic fanatic, why would he intervene on her behalf in a trial that could see her killed? He's got no love for the Tyrells either, so there's no incentive for him to save Margaery. Maybe if he shares his brother's passion for protecting the family, but Tywin was fine with killing Tyrion when he had a chance, and that was his own son, not a nephew/niece who may have ruined his own son's chance to bear heirs. I can see Kevan taking the "honorable" side and trying to save his flesh and blood, but it seems to make a lot more sense that he'd take the opportunity to say "fuck you very much Cersei" and not bother.

They still are family. And they are in a fictional show that can be rewritten in any way the writers see fit to set up the plot that moves forward.

I would take it as, for his own benefit he needs the Lannisters to retain power in King's Landing (their gold mines are exhausted back home), and protecting Cersei is the best path to that end.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
He already doesn't like Cersei, and if he holds her responsible for fucking his son up and turning him into a lunatic fanatic, why would he intervene on her behalf in a trial that could see her killed?

If the Queen Mother and de facto ruling regent can be held and punished by the Faith Militant then the throne has no power anymore and the Sparrows are now the rulers. It doesn't matter if Lord Kevan (he is now Hand of the King, which gives him the title Lord) likes her or not, he can't allow this to happen.