Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 430 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Who is Friendzone? Only maybe 2 i can think of - sam (but not after that 2nd to last epjsode) and Jorah or whatever his name is.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I want to be the red-bearded wildling.

On a related note, is that actor in a new commercial? I can't think of what it is for, but there is another red-haired/bearded man on a prime-time commercial somewheres.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Well that was unexpected, and awesome. After years of buildup we finally get to see some of what has been hinted at since the first 5 minutes of the series. Couldn't help but think they could have used a boatload of that wildfire stuff to thin the herd a bit.

I want to be the red-bearded wildling.

On a related note, is that actor in a new commercial? I can't think of what it is for, but there is another red-haired/bearded man on a prime-time commercial somewheres.

I am calling him hotel commercial guy now. Although 5 seconds of Googling tells me he is probably not the same guy.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i'm glad the giant made it out :D

i guess they couldn't get neil marshall to direct this one but miguel sapochnik did a damn good job.

does GRRM not write an episode this season?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I don't get the white walkers. Can someone explain them without spoiling anything?

Where did they come from?

Why are they only now an issue? Do they hibernate like bears?

Didn't we see them in the very 1st episode? If so, they were south of the wall then since that 1 dude ran back to Winterfell? If he was north of the wall, how did he get south? Didn't he tell the Night's Watch?

What the hell have they been doing all this time? Hell, they attacked Sam and his GF, Sam saw like the whole army, then they now attacked this Wildling village. Why aren't there more sightings of them or more concern?

Why aren't they going south yet, why stay up north and just be doing apparently nothing?

I can't remember if the Night's Watch alerted the people down south? If not, why not?
If they did, why is no one down south concerned at all?

on a different note, was that all the wildlings or are there more? They were offloading the kids and old people, so what good are they in a fight against the white walkers? Most of the warriors died it seems. So like 50 Night's Watch and a few thousand old geezers and young kids will fend off the white walkers?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't get the white walkers. Can someone explain them without spoiling anything?

Didn't we see them in the very 1st episode? If so, they were south of the wall then since that 1 dude ran back to Winterfell? If he was north of the wall, how did he get south? Didn't he tell the Night's Watch?

What the hell have they been doing all this time? Hell, they attacked Sam and his GF, Sam saw like the whole army, then they now attacked this Wildling village. Why aren't there more sightings of them or more concern?

Why aren't they going south yet, why stay up north and just be doing apparently nothing?

I can't remember if the Night's Watch alerted the people down south? If not, why not?

on a different note, was that all the wildlings or are there more? They were offloading the kids and old people, so what good are they in a fight against the white walkers? Most of the warriors died it seems. So like 50 Night's Watch and a few thousand old geezers and young kids will fend off the white walkers?

"Winter is coming."

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

The north pole I guess.

No one has seen them in so long most thought they were just legends.

The dude in the first episode was a night's watchman. Ned killed him because he deserted from them. He probably did not stop to tell them just kept running.

Based on this episode I would guess they have been busy resurrecting thousands of zombies.

They like it cold so they have to wait for winter and winter is just now hitting south of the wall.

Yeah the nights watch sent out the call for help and Stannis was the only one to respond. But no one outside of the wildlings and the nights watch really believe the white walkers are a problem or even real.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Even further north. Been there at least since the dawn of The First Men.

They can only come south during a rare extreme winter. The wall was built to keep them out, so it's safe to say that it's been an issue.

That was very clearly a scouting party that went north of the wall. He went south by deserting the Night's Watch.

Building their army with Craster's help.

They were waiting for winter. Everything around this series has been punctuated with "winter is coming," so that's kinda hard to miss.

Few believed it. It has been so long since that kind of winter that they now believe the wall was built to keep wildlinga and giants out.

I think the other kingdoms will be forced to stop fighting over the iron throne and take up arms against this threat. I think Dany's Dragons and Bran's wharging skills will be instrumental.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
its been thousands of years since anyone has seen the walkers which is why they are believed to be a myth. the wall was built and no one has seen them since besides the wildlings, they have had thousands of years to build their zombie army, and it just so happens its ready now and winter is here

that's how I view it all

Last edited:

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
There was quite the symbolism at the end with the four walkers... on horses... at the top of a cliff. That's pretty much Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse imagery right there. Although, it seems like no one could agree who would get to be Death, so all of them decided to do it. :p

Honestly, I thought that end was just going to be discussions and not too much more, but holy crap. Although, I thought Jon's sword was just made from Valyrian steel, but I guess we're to assume that it also has obsidian (dragon glass) in it... or that they're also weak to Valyrian steel? That latter tidbit isn't the most helpful though given how rare it is.

Valyrian steel is made with dragon fire. Sam finds some old books stating that the White Walkers were vulnerable to it; although they really didn't touch on that in the show. This scene established it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
did anyone else enjoy the silent credit roll? it reminded me of the silent clock at the end of certain 24 episodes. and the tension was definitely still up from the end of the episode.

It wasn't silent. There was music ...

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
There was quite the symbolism at the end with the four walkers... on horses... at the top of a cliff. That's pretty much Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse imagery right there. Although, it seems like no one could agree who would get to be Death, so all of them decided to do it. :p

Honestly, I thought that end was just going to be discussions and not too much more, but holy crap. Although, I thought Jon's sword was just made from Valyrian steel, but I guess we're to assume that it also has obsidian (dragon glass) in it... or that they're also weak to Valyrian steel? That latter tidbit isn't the most helpful though given how rare it is.

My take on it is the dragon connection. Dragon glass is made from a volcano, but could a dragon's breath on normal land (certain types?) create it too? Valyrian steel, can't forge it new anymore, did it require a dragon's breath, or something as hot as it?

So either a direct dragon connection, or magma/dragon > undead or simply put fire > cold.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
considering the overall title of GOT is "A Song of Ice and Fire" the inevitable White Walker vs Dragon conflict we all know is coming

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
But how would the walkers fight back against flying dragons? They do not appear to fly and we have seen nothing but melee weapons. It would be similar to the fight ants put up against a can of raid. Unless maybe dragons don't much like the cold or the walkers can make magic flying ice crystals.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
But how would the walkers fight back against flying dragons? They do not appear to fly and we have seen nothing but melee weapons. It would be similar to the fight ants put up against a can of raid. Unless maybe dragons don't much like the cold or the walkers can make magic flying ice crystals.

no idea, not even sure if the books say.

the Targaryns and their dragons only came to westeros 300 or so years ago

the wall was built many thousands of years ago. not sure if dragons were involved or just the first men , but I would assume dragon steel was around

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Given their strength shown while tossing Jon around, I don't see why they couldn't just chuck one of their weapons like a spear. If that happens, they can totally rip of the WarCraft series and create Frost Wyrms like the Lich King! :awe:

"Suffer mortals... as your pathetic magic beeeetrays you!"

*Shudder*

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I thought the Dragons were pretty much only in Valyria until the Targaryen people started spreading them? So unless they exported a lot of steel from Valyria how would they have had dragon steel in Westeros?

Maybe the children of the forest were involved with their magic bombs, seemed to work pretty good on the skeletons.