Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 429 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
There was quite the symbolism at the end with the four walkers... on horses... at the top of a cliff. That's pretty much Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse imagery right there. Although, it seems like no one could agree who would get to be Death, so all of them decided to do it. :p

Honestly, I thought that end was just going to be discussions and not too much more, but holy crap. Although, I thought Jon's sword was just made from Valyrian steel, but I guess we're to assume that it also has obsidian (dragon glass) in it... or that they're also weak to Valyrian steel? That latter tidbit isn't the most helpful though given how rare it is.

yup, we know its special shit because it can't be made new which is why Tywin had the Stark great sword, Ice, reforged into two smaller blades. Its a good thing Brienne is now in the north with Oath Keeper

worst episode, ever

yeah I know, where were the boobs!?!?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yup, we know its special shit because it can't be made new which is why Tywin had the Stark great sword, Ice, reforged into two smaller blades. Its a good thing Brienne is now in the north with Oath Keeper

It may kill a white walker, but that shit will likely break on Ramsay's cock when they meet in battle.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
No spoilers!
Grrrr (on behalf of others; I've never seen a single episode)
-Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Great Episode. No wonder they couldnt spend money on anything and reused the same sets over and over.

Feb 6, 2007
I almost missed the last 15 minutes because some imbecile decided 9:45 pm is an acceptable time to start moving in and half woke up my daughter. She went back to sleep in 3 seconds, cause she's a trooper, and I got to be all stressed out thinking "you know, I wouldn't put it past GRRM to turn Jon Snow into a White Walker because fuck your feelings." I have a feeling I'll be rewatching that episode again pretty soon, because, dayyyummmm.

If you read this and mistakenly think I have spoiled something, relax; Jon isn't a White Walker. But it was pretty goddamn nerve racking for a minute there.

-EDIT- One complaint. There were a number of sections during the battle that were filmed in that frantic, shaky cam, 3-cuts-a-second style of shooting action that I found utterly unwatchable. I HATE that style. Who decided that it would make for better viewing if you spend a minute or two with literally no idea what you're looking at because you never get anything to focus on? We get it, it's frantic; that's no excuse for making it look like it was edited by someone with ADHD overdosing on cocaine.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
-EDIT- One complaint. There were a number of sections during the battle that were filmed in that frantic, shaky cam, 3-cuts-a-second style of shooting action that I found utterly unwatchable. I HATE that style. Who decided that it would make for better viewing if you spend a minute or two with literally no idea what you're looking at because you never get anything to focus on? We get it, it's frantic; that's no excuse for making it look like it was edited by someone with ADHD overdosing on cocaine.

I had the same complaint, but I don't think it was just the cutting that made it hard. Honestly, it's not easy to tell a wight (I just kind of used that as a nerdy term, but after some Googling, that's apparently the official term used in the book for the White Walker-created undead) apart from the living unless you've got a good look at their face or they're already deformed enough. It's one of the same problem that you have in some zombie things where they aren't decrepit enough to discern in massive scenes.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Mostly it's production costs. The alternate to quick camera shots means either (1) lots and lots of cg expenses, or (2) lots and lots of extras in the background looking goofy half-pretend-fighting.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So it seems as though only the general/horsemen/ice dude whatevers are the only ones that can actually create other walkers. Maybe only the crowned king one, in fact. So, take out those fuckers and you have a chance.

the raised zombies can be defeated, or at least incapacitated in battle through normal means--so as long as you can get them down, then set fire to the battlefield and taking the soldiers out for good, you have a chance.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Did the Giant die?

The Giant survived.

He's off to go see a cock merchant.

He heard a dwarf's cock has magical powers to fend off the White Walkers....supposed to work better than Dragon Glass. :thumbsup:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
So it seems as though only the general/horsemen/ice dude whatevers are the only ones that can actually create other walkers. Maybe only the crowned king one, in fact. So, take out those fuckers and you have a chance.

Yeah, the dude is like the Arch-Vile from Doom. Always hated that guy. They need to craft some dragon glass arrowheads to take them out.

My only complaint, and its really just a pie in the sky thing, was that Jon didn't pick up the mini boss white walker's weapon and use it. You can't even block a strike from it unless you have the rarest steel in the world.

They kinda made the walkers a little too overpowered. They used the fog or something to turn people the first time, and then the dead can be converted. It seems like 3 dragons, dragon glass, and a bunch of troops wont be enough.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Agreed!

I prefer last week's episode with the perfect tattas! :p
yeah, no more rape scenes?

how r we supposed to have drama and bickering?

and why didn't the 8month preggo wife being stabbed in the stomach bring out this much controversy?
or season 1 on Dany's honeymoon rape w/dreggo?

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
My only complaint, and its really just a pie in the sky thing, was that Jon didn't pick up the mini boss white walker's weapon and use it. You can't even block a strike from it unless you have the rarest steel in the world.

Do you really want to pick up some magical sword made out of ice? ;)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
did anyone else enjoy the silent credit roll? it reminded me of the silent clock at the end of certain 24 episodes. and the tension was definitely still up from the end of the episode.