Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 399 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2005
i'm glad this episode is more cohesive and not bouncing back to the same settings 2 or 3 times

the beach, somewhere
ser jorah gets all grand theft auto on a fisherman. i love the way he chucks tyrion like a sack of laundry.

a boat
jamie continue to construct his own reality, denying myrcella is his daughter. this continues with "varys set him free" and "i'll split him (tyrion) in two". whatever's convenient, guy.

small council
lord tyrell is just the biggest oaf. a title he will not have much longer, thanks to ser meryn. "the small council grows smaller and smaller" is said once again, now it's down to pycell and qbert, and pycell is already on his way out.

religious nuts run amok!
cersei establishes an armed force to act as her muscle, but how long before they turn on her? i'm reminded of egyptian president anwar sadat, the father of modern terrorism.

tommen looks painfully weak and stupid, paralyzed by the conflicting manipulation by his women. who's running this show? when tommen, the fucking king, is refused entry to the sept it's clear the answer is "nobody"

castle black
melisandre is all about the manipulation today - first mrs. stannis, then mr. stannis, then lord snuh. i like the way she just barges into the lord commander's office. jon craves the flesh, and who could blame him?, but he still loves ygritte. "you know nothing, jon snow". haven't heard that line in a while. she should watch it, because every time someone says that jon snow goes on to kick more ass. it's like an involuntary superpower. "don't make me stupid. you won't like me when i'm stupid."

shireen wants some daddy time. when asked if he's ashamed of her, stannis tells the story of how they cured her grayscale instead of sending her away. but the moral of the story isn't "stannis loves you", it's "stannis' family is stannis' property." check out how long it takes him to half-ass a hug.

winterfell, or is it moat cailin? :p
not only does baelish know stannis is coming, but proceeds to explain how he's hanging the boltons out to dry, as if the boltons aren't in the damn building??? this scene is clumsy and is padded around baelish saying "bye sansa, i'm going back to king's landing (maybe)" for the viewers' benefit.

another boat, another beach
bronn killing the snake is symbolic of house martell. check out the look on bronn's face when jamie starts lying about sharks. "dude, shut up!"

sand snakes
imo, this scene sucked. short and dumb, very clumsy, very forced. in seasons 1 and 2 this scene would have had tons of style!

grand theft mormont, pt 2
tyrion finally gets jorah to remove the gag, unwittingly giving tyrion back his greatest weapon. jorah's got crazy in his eyes, and tyrion pushes him too far. jorah nearly backhands him all the way to danerys' court.

mereen
as danerys hears pleas to reopen the fighting pits as a mean to heal her people, the sons of the harpy are trapping unsullied. notice how you don't care until one of the unsullied loses his helmet, and it's grey worm. why is the military commander doing foot patrols? anyway, the conservation of ninjitsu is in full effect here, because these elite unsullied are useless until there's only a couple left. notice how you still don't care until ser embarassing cellmate comes wandering in, on his only afternoon off from work. selmy has a pretty good fight scene, you can tell they wanted this legendary character to go out in style.

goodbye, selmy! your death is the death of chivalry, virtue and honor in this world.

69a868eb16792d2763f506b8b8fbd0e9.jpg

tumblr_mjsppaWJ3E1ryc3zao1_500.jpg

Last edited:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
The scene with the sand sisters was horrible. The acting and the lines were a major wtf.

Did not like, dissapointing...

I'm not sure if i recall any other scene that bad

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The scene with the sand sisters was horrible. The acting and the lines were a major wtf.

agreed.

chick 1: "yep"
chick 2: "yep"
chick 3: long drawn-out stupid dramatic spearing and pointless dialogue, translates to "yep."

Mar 10, 2005
i forgot 1 thing - when bronn asks jamie how he knows the captain will keep his mouth shut, the answer is "gold". this echoes baelish's "gold buys a man's silence for a time. an arrow through the heart buys it forever". baelish wins again.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Probably wants another shadow child since he has royal blood.

I was wondering about the significance of that failed seduction. Maybe she needed some 'king's blood' for a spell for the upcoming battle but I don't think Jon Snow counts as royalty nor does Ned Stark.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I haven't been following this thread at all since always being behind the HBO viewers, until disc release, etc.

Now I'm update, my girlfriend has a theory about Jon Snow. She came up with this before E04. That Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark and they loved each other. One reason why Ned Stark was forced into secrecy by Lyanna, to save Jon's life.

One thing about that theory is that I remember Catelyn Stark being kinda pissed at Ned for having a bastard. I suppose he might not have told her, but I got the impression she was giving him crap about that since Jon was a baby. I think Catelyn would have put 1 + 1 together if Rob's sister was preggers, and then all of a sudden didn't have a baby and Ned now has a bastard. Or did he get Jon when he was a few years old...I dont remember that detail, but I remember Catelyn needling Ned about Jon and his infidelity.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Agreed, that was terrible.

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I was wondering about the significance of that failed seduction. Maybe she needed some 'king's blood' for a spell for the upcoming battle but I don't think Jon Snow counts as royalty nor does Ned Stark.
Jon Snow counts if R+L=J. If R+L=J, then he either has a claim to the throne from an earlier bloodline (Rhaegar Targaryen) or Robert Baratheon.

One thing about that theory is that I remember Catelyn Stark being kinda pissed at Ned for having a bastard. I suppose he might not have told her, but I got the impression she was giving him crap about that since Jon was a baby. I think Catelyn would have put 1 + 1 together if Rob's sister was preggers, and then all of a sudden didn't have a baby and Ned now has a bastard. Or did he get Jon when he was a few years old...I dont remember that detail, but I remember Catelyn needling Ned about Jon and his infidelity.
She didn't see Ned or Lyanna Stark for years after Robert's Rebellion. Ned just came home with Jon Snow. He promised to tell Jon about his mother but never got to.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I mean, depending on how deep the "blood of kings" runs, in theory all the Starks are descended from the original Kings in the North dating back over a thousand years before the Targaryen Conquest.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
how does selmy = embarrassing cellmate?

and why do u think he dies?

if grey worm lives then he prob lives too

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011

It looked to me like he got stabbed in his heart-area.

Fun thing about GoT is we can't just be like "oh he's sorta important to the story there's NO WAY they'd kill him off..."

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

He dies because he had given a heartwarming story, from out of nowhere, just prior to his death. As soon as he told that story I knew he was dead.

KT

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Overall I really liked that episode as a whole, probably my favorite of the season thus far. The Dornish girl part was pretty dumb, but I enjoyed Bronn/Jamie's bit beforehand. Good to see something finally sorta happening with Dany's storyline. I mean, not her directly, but she's going to HAVE to do something now. Also, Littlefinger has put himself squarely into creepy territory at this point. There's not much else to say there, it's just weird.

I actually rather like Tommen at this point, so he'll probably be dead by the end of the season. His line about "no way to free your brother without violence" kinda showed that he really wants to be a king that's liked by his people rather than be like Geoffrey. Poor kid probably hasn't realized yet that he's not getting any until Ser Loras is freed.

I fully expect old man Tyrell to be dead since Cersei sent Meryn Trant with him to Bravos. He's not going to make it. Or maybe he'll make it there, just not back. Somehow, it's not going to end well.

And finally, the more Jamie is looking like a good guy, turned into the hero you root for, the more I expect this will also be his last season :(

He dies because he had given a heartwarming story, from out of nowhere, just prior to his death. As soon as he told that story I knew he was dead.

KT

Good point, that never really crossed my mind. I still expected him to be dead without realizing that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I fully expect old man Tyrell to be dead since Cersei sent Meryn Trant with him to Bravos. He's not going to make it. Or maybe he'll make it there, just not back. Somehow, it's not going to end well.

well, it's just Meryn fucking Trant. I expect the Hound will manage to claw his way out of the ground and get one last stab in for the old wise and beautiful woman.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Jon Snow counts if R+L=J. If R+L=J, then he either has a claim to the throne from an earlier bloodline (Rhaegar Targaryen) or Robert Baratheon.

You're right about the Rhaegar part, but he has no ties to Robert if that theory is true. Just Targaryen and Stark.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I think he dies because they kind of showed it in the preview for next week. Or is that a spoiler?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You're right about the Rhaegar part, but he has no ties to Robert if that theory is true. Just Targaryen and Stark.
The R can mean Rhaegar or Robert. The Robert theory persists because Jon Snow is "Black of hair" like all his other offspring. Most signs point to Rhaegar though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
well, it's just Meryn fucking Trant. I expect the Hound will manage to claw his way out of the ground and get one last stab in for the old wise and beautiful woman.
Ser Meryn Trant is on Arya Stark's kill list and is going to Arya's current city. I think it's going to be Arya who clashes with him. She can't give up who she is unless she gives up her grudges and it's one last chance to execute on that before she becomes faceless.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
See Meryn Trant is on Arya Stark's kill list and is going to Arya's current city. I think it's going to be Arya who clashes with him. She can't give up who she is unless she gives up her grudges and it's one last chance to execute on that before she becomes faceless.

still rooting for zombie Hound!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
a boat
jamie continue to construct his own reality, denying myrcella is his daughter. this continues with "varys set him free" and "i'll split him (tyrion) in two". whatever's convenient, guy.
Uhh, I am pretty sure his vitriol toward Tyrion is genuine. He did not expect Tyrion to kill Tywin when he set him free, so it is not a contradiction.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Uhh, I am pretty sure his vitriol toward Tyrion is genuine. He did not expect Tyrion to kill Tywin when he set him free, so it is not a contradiction.

I don't know, seemed a bit excessive to me and a bit out of character.

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't know, seemed a bit excessive to me and a bit out of character.

KT

"It must be me."
Why?
Because Tyrion put him in this position where he has to prove himself to his sister to atone.

Pretty sure it's genuine. He's right back to talking about losing his father and the woman he loves, so he resents Tyrion. He may even believe Cersei that Tyrion killed Joffery after seeing what he was capable of.

Last edited: