Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 397 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There's no reason, it's narrative convenience... You could maybe argue Jorah was there because of the queen look-a-like but it's pretty clear Tyrion just picked that place out of the blue, probably because it was the closest one when he got out of the room on wheels.

I'm gonna be that guy and go ahead and suggest that many of the coincidences we experience in life really aren't as random as we think they should be.

In this situation, that whole continent is basically a bigass desert with some major cities connecting the one major trade route, right? Here you have two individuals that would almost certainly be traveling that same road, in opposing directions and for opposing reasons. One is trying to get to the place from where the other is fleeing. One of these individuals has a known penchant for whore houses. What do you expect him to do as soon as he breaks free of his little prison? Go find some trim at the earliest possible convenience. The other, drunken and despondent, seems to be in that very place to catch some familiarity--the lookalike dragon lady whore? Maybe, maybe not, but I wonder if he was ever hanging out there for any manner of time and if we was, it would only increase the chances that SFZ would have run into Tyrion. If he was just passing through, there is a very likely chance they still would have crossed paths at any point of the journey. point being...strange, chance meetings like this really aren't all that unusual when you think about it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I dont think its generally known that Tyrion and Varys are on their way to see the Dragon Queen. There is no way for Jorah to know he would be there. I dont know how the kingdoms are laid out on a map, but they escaped by sea. Then maybe they went by boat and caravan, or simply by caravan, but unless there is a spy in Varys group there is no way to know where Tyrion would be at any give time. So I think it was just coincidence. I think I've seen in a recap video that it was like that in the book as well.

Mar 10, 2005
wooooo 100 pages!

of course jorah finding tyrion was coincidence. there's nothing to suggest someone from the caravan tipped off jorah, who has been mia for ages.

maybe it was syrio? :rolleyes:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Was it even a brothel? I'd have to watch again, but it could have been a bar that prostitutes were treating like a street corner. Ser Jorah "Friendzone" Mormont may not have been there for the whores or Tyrion.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Jorah was probably there banging the dragon queen whore. It was noted in season 2 by that black noble guy that men of his type wanted to get into the dragon queen's pants.

Mar 10, 2005
Jorah was probably there banging the dragon queen whore. It was noted in season 2 by that black noble guy that men of his type wanted to get into the dragon queen's pants.

you mean zero xerox docsis, the "king of qarth"? the guy that was constantly trying to get into danerys' pants?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I'm gonna be that guy and go ahead and suggest that many of the coincidences we experience in life really aren't as random as we think they should be.

In this situation, that whole continent is basically a bigass desert with some major cities connecting the one major trade route, right? Here you have two individuals that would almost certainly be traveling that same road, in opposing directions and for opposing reasons. One is trying to get to the place from where the other is fleeing. One of these individuals has a known penchant for whore houses. What do you expect him to do as soon as he breaks free of his little prison? Go find some trim at the earliest possible convenience. The other, drunken and despondent, seems to be in that very place to catch some familiarity--the lookalike dragon lady whore? Maybe, maybe not, but I wonder if he was ever hanging out there for any manner of time and if we was, it would only increase the chances that SFZ would have run into Tyrion. If he was just passing through, there is a very likely chance they still would have crossed paths at any point of the journey. point being...strange, chance meetings like this really aren't all that unusual when you think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8d-jwFwds#t=1m22s

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I dont think its generally known that Tyrion and Varys are on their way to see the Dragon Queen. There is no way for Jorah to know he would be there. I dont know how the kingdoms are laid out on a map, but they escaped by sea. Then maybe they went by boat and caravan, or simply by caravan, but unless there is a spy in Varys group there is no way to know where Tyrion would be at any give time. So I think it was just coincidence. I think I've seen in a recap video that it was like that in the book as well.

I never suggested that he would know that or that he was looking for Tyrion (Assuming you are responding to me).

I'm merely addressing the comments that this seems to be such a forced narrative because it seems so improbable that these two characters would encounter each other in such a way. (look at episode one--Brienne misses Sansa and Little Finger because they are looking the other way. Is it strange that they would cross? No--they are traveling along the same common path)

It really isn't all that improbable, because these 2 individuals happen to be where they are, going where they are going, at an opportune time.

I only ever assume that Jorah spotting Tyrion at that moment was taking advantage of an opportunity.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I never suggested that he would know that or that he was looking for Tyrion (Assuming you are responding to me).

I'm merely addressing the comments that this seems to be such a forced narrative because it seems so improbable that these two characters would encounter each other in such a way. (look at episode one--Brienne misses Sansa and Little Finger because they are looking the other way. Is it strange that they would cross? No--they are traveling along the same common path)

It really isn't all that improbable, because these 2 individuals happen to be where they are, going where they are going, at an opportune time.

I only ever assume that Jorah spotting Tyrion at that moment was taking advantage of an opportunity.

I was actually agreeing with you and saying in general it was most likely a coincidence.

Mar 16, 2005
ARFjWlB.gif

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
While that was certainly a good one, his best role was being ambushed by De Niro and a cup of coffee.
Good One; How about Sean Bean playing Theseus in Troy - Not too shabby for a TV Actor far and above Sharp's War expectations.

Even though Bormir scummed to the power of Precious (The Ring), he died defending man's inherent inhibition to defeat Evil - Great Character in Tolkin's Trioligy.

As far a The Fellowship of the Ring goes, it was Bormir's Death that unfolded the plot in Tolken's Lord of the Rings and the rest of Tolken was just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nooooooo! My favorite character about to be gone? =(

yep. :(

Jaime needs to learn to use his hand as a club at least one of these times.

and yep. seriously: how the fuck long did that take? I'm sure gauntlets are the same kind of simple tech in westerose as they are in the real world. what the fuck took this long? been saying this from the moment that sister-fucker lost his hand, assuming it would be an improvement (you know, like how Jordan changed his style completely from penetration dunker to indefensible jumpshot fadeaway).

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I kinda like that big blond girl Knight with her squire and that little girl with the sharp sword and her ruffian companion: These characters just kinda wonder throughout the series in no mans land.

Forget the Dragon Queen, the Knight Master and the Dwarf - They all got Hell to pay for - LOL.

Sorry for the Crapping Warning in this thread but it wasn't me.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
yep. :(

and yep. seriously: how the fuck long did that take? I'm sure gauntlets are the same kind of simple tech in westerose as they are in the real world. what the fuck took this long? been saying this from the moment that sister-fucker lost his hand, assuming it would be an improvement (you know, like how Jordan changed his style completely from penetration dunker to indefensible jumpshot fadeaway).

Jordan never really changed. He still had his lane driving, he just worked his shot into perfection. He wasn't really a great shooter coming in and after the 89-90 series against Detroit he understood he wasn't strong enough to always penetrate. He got stronger and became able, but he also developed a nasty shot.

But, yeah, Jaime should be clubbing people with that hand Enter the Dragon style. Hell, attach a fucking sword to it and he should be nearly as effective as before...

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Jaime needs to learn to use his hand as a club at least one of these times.

He should have an either a blade or an open metal hand, and shielding on his forearm (like the bad guy in Ninja Scroll). That way he could use his right arm for offense and defense. Or even just have a sword he could plug into his arm. At a minimum he should have the same capabilities as Merle in Walking Dead.