Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 393 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, Moat Cailin. We haven't seen Winterfell for quite some time. I think people are confused because "home" was used several times, but that simply refers to
Sansa returning the north, not Winterfell.

Also, "home" from Littlefinger's perspective refers to whom he sold her off to, meaing her future home, of which she is unaware at the time. Sure, it's still the North and part of Stark territory, but Littlefinger means that home = Ramsay creepy dude. Sansa is allowed to assume he means Winterfell. Though...The Boltons also control Winterfell anyway, right?

Also, anyone notice the smoking crazy bitch (one of the 3 in Ramsay's stable of hos) with the angry jealous eyes when Sansa is presented?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Yes, Moat Cailin. We haven't seen Winterfell for quite some time. I think people are confused because "home" was used several times, but that simply refers to
Sansa returning the north, not Winterfell.

I was just watching the episode again. It was Winterfell. Sansa and company paused at and traveled through Moat Cailin. Brienne "knew where they were going" anyway. They also had an exterior shot of Winterfell in Roose and Ramsay's first scene, and the same kind of construction efforts going on in the subsequent scenes where Sansa and Littlefinger were received. Lastly, the background shows a snowy landscape, not a marshy one.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I was just watching the episode again. It was Winterfell. Sansa and company paused at and traveled through Moat Cailin. Brienne "knew where they were going" anyway. They also had an exterior shot of Winterfell in Roose and Ramsay's first scene, and the same kind of construction efforts going on in the subsequent scenes where Sansa and Littlefinger were received. Lastly, the background shows a snowy landscape, not a marshy one.

Really? Ramsay is lord of Moat Cailain, and Papa stabby is in charge of Winterfell. Why would they do the hand-off at Winterfell if it is further North, and she is to be living at Moat Cailain anyway?

I'll have to watch again, too, I suppose. I had a high-glare situation, and overall wasn't able to follow everything so closely.

Though, the Jon Snow vs cowards vs Stannis scenes in this episode were some of my favorite in the series so far. So good. For the execution here, we got the same music that was playing for Ned's beheading. When he asked for his sword and delayed to be the last one in the square, I was thinking of episode one, when Ned brought all of his sons, including Jon, to watch how justice and leadership are maintained in the north; especially amongst the Nightswatch.
I just loved the admission of cowardice, the glare, looking out at everyone to make sure they know that cowardice will not be tolerated.

badass Jon Snow through 3 episodes so far.

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Really? Ramsay is lord of Moat Cailain, and Papa stabby is in charge of Winterfell. Why would they do the hand-off at Winterfell if it is further North, and she is to be living at Moat Cailain anyway?

I also forgot to mention the old maidservant saying "Welcome home Lady Stark. The North remembers". I wouldn't have thought commoners outside of Winterfell residents would have recognized Sansa. I could certainly be wrong, but I thought the little details implied Winterfell.

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I also forgot to mention the old maidservant saying "Welcome home Lady Stark. The North remembers". I wouldn't have thought commoners outside of Winterfell residents would have recognized Sansa. I could certainly be wrong, but I thought the little details implied Winterfell.

Yep, pretty sure they are in Winterfell.

And remember when Pod tells Brienne that they will lose track of Sansa/Littlefinger if they go around Moat Cailen. Brienne basically says, "that's OK, I know where they are going." Seems obvious they are going to Winterfell.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I assumed he was taking Tyrion to Cersei. We know Friendzone is mostly a sell-sword after beign cast out by Ned Stark, he is now spurned by Dragon lady, so the one true enemy of both of those houses is the Lannisters/Cersei.

Cersei put the call out across the world to bring back Tyrion and/or his head, and I'm pretty sure that Friendzone is one of those that got the message.

Even if he does plan to take him to Dragon lady, I'm not sure how he would have known that was where Tyrion was heading anyway. I think he certainly feels cast out from his queen and is a bit bereft over that distance (the whole Lucifer cast away from God deal), but I got the sense that he understands the permanence of her words, and isn't all that quick to try and get back under her graces.

Cersei just wants his head, so I dont think he would go through the trouble of capturing him. I think its more coincidence that they ended up in the same brothel. Jorah was probably there because its a brothel with a dragon queen lookalike, so he can drink and look the hooker. Tyrion just wandered into the first brothel he came across. But Jorah wants nothing more than to be in the dragon queens good graces, so this would be an offering. He's in a pretty bad spot...banished by the queen he wants, and betrayed the Lannisters by siding with her.

Plus, I think in the season trailer
He was in what looks like an arena, and I assume the Dragon Queen put him in there after bringing back the fighting pits.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yep, pretty sure they are in Winterfell.

And remember when Pod tells Brienne that they will lose track of Sansa/Littlefinger if they go around Moat Cailen. Brienne basically says, "that's OK, I know where they are going." Seems obvious they are going to Winterfell.

Moat Cailin is in the north. The people attending the lords surely knew Ned Stark and his children. Plus, it would have been known among the lords (Ramsey and Roose) that Sansa Stark was arriving. The attendants would have overheard and gossiped.

Winterfell was burned to the ground. Why the hell would anyone live there?

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Moat Cailin is in the north. The people attending the lords surely knew Ned Stark and his children. Plus, it would have been known among the lords (Ramsey and Roose) that Sansa Stark was arriving. The attendants would have overheard and gossiped.

The wooden parts of Winterfell burned, which is what they were rebuilding.

Winterfel has a distinct look with it's wide circular towers.

They were in Winterfel.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

Wherever they were/are, it sure looked like they were rebuilding it. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Moat Cailin is old and crumbling, plus sinking into the swamp. I would imagine it looks rather crappy.

The only way to build a castle in a swamp is to keep rebuilding it on top of itself until it hits bottom, generally takes 3 castles.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wherever they were/are, it sure looked like they were rebuilding it. :biggrin:

In the opening map sequence for this season, it shows Winterfell restored. Not the smoldering crater of season...2? I think it is the same image from season 1.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
In the opening map sequence for this season, it shows Winterfell restored. Not the smoldering crater of season...2? I think it is the same image from season 1.

Yes, apparently they are well on the way to rebuilding it. Per the scene with Littlefinger and Roose Bolton.

Mar 10, 2005
they're in winterfell. they were just passing thru moat cailin on their way to winterfell. it was shown because that's where brienne and pod's scene takes place.

winterfuckingfell

0.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I was always of the impression that they were in winter fell, and the swamp seen with little finger was there to show her making the decision to kill everyone in their sleep the moment Jon returns and is all like:

14o1fl.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

I thought it looked overgrown in the opening sequence, but hell apparently I missed the whole transition to Winterfell... But it was tasty whiskey.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Awesome episode. Just loved how so much came together.

Jon Snow stuff was great. Brienne was awesome; loved her story.
It's also incredible how one minute I can hate Cersei and want her dead, then the next I am rooting for her; a credit to the writing and acting.

Also very interested to see what happens with Theon now that Sansa is in Winterfell with him.

So much fascinating stuff happening. Love it.

KT