Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 380 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
What I recall, is that the fat man and HBO producer dudes all know the actual ending, and it has been known from ~season 2, I believe.

Both series have been progressing towards that identical outcome. How each type of content gets to that point, well, there's an ample amount of potential variation between the two.

Yes, this is what I heard as well. I expect the journey will differ in parts now, but the destination will remain the same.

KT

Mar 10, 2005
Yes, this is what I heard as well. I expect the journey will differ in parts now, but the destination will remain the same.

KT

tumblr_m40v8e88XO1qk0wwx-1.gif

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Just like the movie and TV show threads...
...before it airs: spoiler tags.
...once it airs: no spoiler tags.

The problem in this thread comes particularly from people who have read the books and don't even realize how they are spoiling things which isn't relevant to this particular scenario.

one would think that would be reasonable

on the other hand I received an infraction last season for posting a spoiler, even when using spoiler tags, giving an example of how the show was different from the book...

its a cut and dry no-tolerance policy

This thread is a NO SPOILERS thread. Period.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
one would think that would be reasonable

on the other hand I received an infraction last season for posting a spoiler, even when using spoiler tags, giving an example of how the show was different from the book...

its a cut and dry no-tolerance policy

It says right in the title: no book spoilers. Yours was a book spoiler. The zero-tolerance obviously is a result of people doing exactly what you did. Even then, it can't apply to show spoilers or we couldn't talk about the show.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
It says right in the title: no book spoilers. Yours was a book spoiler. The zero-tolerance obviously is a result of people doing exactly what you did. Even then, it can't apply to show spoilers or we couldn't talk about the show.

it says it right in the first post, "This thread is a NO SPOILERS thread. Period."

its not just book spoilers, there have been instances in previous seasons where an episode aired or leaked early. As far as not being able to talk about the show, its pretty obvious the intention is show spoilers are fair game once the respective episode has aired at its normal time.

and the zero-tolerance policy is not the result of posts like mine, but people trying to be clever and making it sound like they're predicting what is going to happen and/or flat out spoil right out without any warning; I used spoiler tags and it was for an example that wouldn't spoil the show.

if a non show spoiler with spoiler tags and fair warning can count (as it should since its clearly stated in the first post "This thread is a NO SPOILERS thread. Period.") I wouldn't bet on an actual show spoiler being accepted

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Even then, it can't apply to show spoilers or we couldn't talk about the show.

Is that why people got infractions for posting things from shows several episodes back? Apparently the list of no-no's includes but is not limited to:

1. Anything from any book at any time.
2. Things from a leaked episode that hasn't aired (reasonable).
3. Things from a previously aired episode that were obscure enough that people didn't notice so they go crying to the mods that it must be a spoiler because their memory sucks.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
What makes you think that would even be a remote possibility?

Nothing, Train suggested it, I doubted it would happen for a bunch of reasons. Inane discussion followed, my bad.

Back on topic. Are the cord cutters getting HBO Now for a couple months just for GoT?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
it says it right in the first post, "This thread is a NO SPOILERS thread. Period."

its not just book spoilers, there have been instances in previous seasons where an episode aired or leaked early. As far as not being able to talk about the show, its pretty obvious the intention is show spoilers are fair game once the respective episode has aired at its normal time.

and the zero-tolerance policy is not the result of posts like mine, but people trying to be clever and making it sound like they're predicting what is going to happen and/or flat out spoil right out without any warning; I used spoiler tags and it was for an example that wouldn't spoil the show.

if a non show spoiler with spoiler tags and fair warning can count (as it should since its clearly stated in the first post "This thread is a NO SPOILERS thread. Period.") I wouldn't bet on an actual show spoiler being accepted

The problem with using spoiler tags is some asshat will then discuss what was in the spoiler tagged post. Then someone else will comment on what that person wrote, etc. In the end you have a discussion of what was in a spoiler tagged post and what was in the post is known by the discussions about it

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Is that why people got infractions for posting things from shows several episodes back? Apparently the list of no-no's includes but is not limited to:

1. Anything from any book at any time.
2. Things from a leaked episode that hasn't aired (reasonable).
3. Things from a previously aired episode that were obscure enough that people didn't notice so they go crying to the mods that it must be a spoiler because their memory sucks.

Never happened. Discussing things from a few episodes back in the context of what will happen according to the books may have happened, an infraction applied to the wrong post from the offending user may also have happened, but it doesn't change things.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Never happened. Discussing things from a few episodes back in the context of what will happen according to the books may have happened, an infraction applied to the wrong post from the offending user may also have happened, but it doesn't change things.

He's specifically referring to The Boston Dangler.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
If you have subscription TV, HBO will have a free preview weekend for the Game of Thrones premiere. If you sign up for the free month of HBO Now, do it after the free preview weekend is over. Maximize your free month.

Watch the premiere during the free preview Sunday. Wait 1 week. Activate HBO Now and start the free month just as Episode 2 comes out. Remember to cancel in 1 month unless you find that $15/month is worth it (there's a LOT of great content to watch).

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Holy shit it's techs! How you feeling bro?

KT

Not so hot. They are sending me for more radiation therapy. The problem is that with the previous radiation I am going above the recommended limits and might have problems a few years down the line. With my prognosis we decided that won't be a problem since I won't be around that long.

Mar 10, 2005
Not so hot. They are sending me for more radiation therapy. The problem is that with the previous radiation I am going above the recommended limits and might have problems a few years down the line. With my prognosis we decided that won't be a problem since I won't be around that long.

from the experiences of my friends and family, it pays to fight as aggressively as you can stand. cheers to you, me and everyone else enjoying the time we have.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Sorry to hear man. :( Hope it gets better.

KT

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

huh?! WHAT?! :(

cancer?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Since HBO will have a free preview weekend for the Game of Thrones premiere, I think it only makes sense to sign up for HBO NOW after the free preview weekend is over. Maximize your free month.

Well, except this won't work for people who don't have cable, who we can assume are the primary target of HBO Now :)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well, except this won't work for people who don't have cable, who we can assume are the primary target of HBO Now :)
Huh? HBO Now is not the same as HBO Go. Anyone with an Internet connection will be able to sign up for HBO Now in a few months (right now it's limited to anyone with an Internet connection and an Apple device). It has nothing to do with being a cable subscriber. It's HBO without forcing you to buy TV service (cable, IP, or satellite).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Huh? HBO Now is not the same as HBO Go. Anyone with an Internet connection and an iOS device will be able to sign up for HBO Now in a few months (right now it's limited to anyone with an Internet connection and an Apple device). It has nothing to do with being a cable subscriber. It's HBO without forcing you to buy TV service (cable, IP, or satellite).

FTFY and I'm still PO'ed about that requirement and exclusivity.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Huh? HBO Now is not the same as HBO Go. Anyone with an Internet connection will be able to sign up for HBO Now in a few months (right now it's limited to anyone with an Internet connection and an Apple device). It has nothing to do with being a cable subscriber. It's HBO without forcing you to buy TV service (cable, IP, or satellite).

Your bro suggested taking advantage of free preview weekend for HBO, on cable., to maximize HBO Now months.

the free preview for HBO won't work for people that don't have cable (--the problem of not having cable), and since that is the primary target market for HBO Now....what's the point?