Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 370 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Books 4 has Sansa, and book 5 has Brann, and those stories were told in season 4. A bit shortened, but it basically ends the same.

wait.. the tv show accelerated Sansa's + Bran's story lines?!
WHY?!

they could have left Bran completely out of season 4

Feb 6, 2007
Cool you guys have taken over the TV thread with book discussion. Good stuff. :rolleyes:

KT

I dunno, I thought that question was fairly benign. Why should someone go into a thread where they know for a fact that book spoilers are being discussed just to ask "so which book lines up with which season of the show?" That doesn't ruin anything for anybody. Even if someone lets the tiniest of plot points slip out (oh, Bran's headed _____), the current season is done, and you're going to forget in the next nine months.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
No plot points are being discussed. It's like Pavlov's dog in here every time someone even says the word "book". Lol.

That's because this is a show thread. People had to be tossed from this thread to keep it under control. Now that this season has ended, people can't seem grasp the concept of not talking about the books.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
No plot points are being discussed. It's like Pavlov's dog in here every time someone even says the word "book". Lol.

Telling us that Bran and Sansa's storylines are caught up in the books tell us that Bran and Sansa are now completely safe on a show that kills of characters left and right. So thanks for ruining that.

Seriously book readers, just gtfo already. Go to the book thread for the love of god.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
So who else was surprised to find out that the whore didn't love the dwarf ? Why would she go back to whoring after he gave her a house servants and money?

wabbitslayer

Dec 2, 2012
So who else was surprised to find out that the whore didn't love the dwarf ? Why would she go back to whoring after he gave her a house servants and money?

Between Shae, and then my two faves, Ros :wub: and Marei :wub: :wub: :wub:, the whores are my favortie part of this show. :D

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

psst.. she worked for tywin the WHOLE time!
just like the girl that tyrion lost his virginity to. she was a hooker hired by tywin

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Telling us that Bran and Sansa's storylines are caught up in the books tell us that Bran and Sansa are now completely safe on a show that kills of characters left and right. So thanks for ruining that.

Seriously book readers, just gtfo already. Go to the book thread for the love of god.

This is exactly the point. How seemingly intelligent people cannot understand this is beyond me. It was the same as the spoiler about the Hound never being bitten in the books.

If someone wants that information they can PM a book reader since we all know who they are in here. Posting that shit in this thread is completely inappropriate.

KT

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

No it doesn't. All one story arc being caught up to the books means is book readers don't know what happens next. Guess what? They could die in S5E1 for all anyone knows.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

reVgzvz.gif

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
This is exactly the point. How seemingly intelligent people cannot understand this is beyond me. It was the same as the spoiler about the Hound never being bitten in the books.

If someone wants that information they can PM a book reader since we all know who they are in here. Posting that shit in this thread is completely inappropriate.

KT
Terrible example. IIRC, the supposed spoiler about the Hound was mentioned in the show.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think she did but he broke her heart when he told her he didn't love her, causing her to betray him as she felt she had been betrayed. It seems a bit out of character for her to be too stupid to realize that he only said it to make her leave but, then again, if Tyrion didn't make it convincing enough for her then it never would have worked in the first place.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Terrible example. IIRC, the supposed spoiler about the Hound was mentioned in the show.

No, it's not a terrible example, it is a perfect example. In the show he was bitten by a character they apparently never encountered in the book. They played up the injury in the show, giving viewers the idea he may die from it (similar to how Drago died). As soon as someone stated in here that none of this happened in the books, we then knew nothing would come of that particular injury, eliminating all of the suspense the show had created around it.

Anyway, I am done here. Have fun.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think she did but he broke her heart when he told her he didn't love her, causing her to betray him as she felt she had been betrayed. It seems a bit out of character for her to be too stupid to realize that he only said it to make her leave but, then again, if Tyrion didn't make it convincing enough for her then it never would have worked in the first place.

agreed about her betrayal. Tyrion went balls-deep insulting her--whatever it took to get her out of King's Landing and safe. I guess it was serious enough to truly offend her; which is bizarre, in a way, considering how she was set up in previous seasons. I think season 1? where Tyrion, Shae, and Bronn were boozing and playing "truth or truth," she was basically set up to be some sort of wandering lady--someone possibly of noble birth that gave all that shit up at some point, and so was probably clever enough in the ways of the world to be Tyrion's match in intellect--with a real backstory and not just some faceless set of boobs and snatch. They carried this on with her for a few episodes and then just seemed to drop all that and turn her back into a faceless whore.

Or, maybe she was just a lying whore the entire time? :\ You know, I guess that is what we are supposed to get from this :hmm:

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
agreed about her betrayal. Tyrion went balls-deep insulting her--whatever it took to get her out of King's Landing and safe. I guess it was serious enough to truly offend her; which is bizarre, in a way, considering how she was set up in previous seasons. I think season 1? where Tyrion, Shae, and Bronn were boozing and playing "truth or truth," she was basically set up to be some sort of wandering lady--someone possibly of noble birth that gave all that shit up at some point, and so was probably clever enough in the ways of the world to be Tyrion's match in intellect--with a real backstory and not just some faceless set of boobs and snatch. They carried this on with her for a few episodes and then just seemed to drop all that and turn her back into a faceless whore.

Or, maybe she was just a lying whore the entire time? :\ You know, I guess that is what we are supposed to get from this :hmm:
I think that is what we are supposed to get from this... I liked her when that was implied too, but in the end she was just giving the man the kind of woman he wanted: which was her job, and she was fucking amazing at it. (or perhaps the emptiness of whoring and drinking just got Tyrion to a point where he was willing to blind himself)

When I could tell it was Shae in the bed I thought... wow... she's the best courtesan in the 7 kingdoms: I get the sense, though, that Tyrion didn't come to that same conclusion. I get the sense he still loved her, and thought she was still that women she sold as herself early on (Again, he was still blinded by loneliness, desperate for a woman smart enough and worldly enough for him...)

Which is why he shot his dad when he continued to call her a whore: Tywin had enjoyed that she played at being what he wanted, but when they met at the chamber-pot Tywin showed that he must have known Shae couldn't have been the same seductrice she implied with him as she had implied with Tyrion.

In the end I think the Tywin was going to send Tyrion to the wall, just as he agreed with Jaimie, and needed Tyrion to wake up to the mind-trick the whore played on him so Tyrion would be willing to go... (thus Tywin was playing Shae) but Tyrion escaping short-circuited Tywin's process.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005

yep yep yep. i really liked her character at first, but at some point they said "aw screw it" and then shae became a waste of oxygen.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I think that is what we are supposed to get from this... I liked her when that was implied to, but in the end she was just giving the man the kind of woman he wanted: which was her job, and she was fucking amazing at it.

When I could tell it was Shae in the bed I realized... wow... she's the best courtesan in the 7 kingdoms: I get the sense, though, that Tyrion didn't come to that same conclusion. I get the sense he still loved her, and thought she was still that women she sold herself early on as...

Which is why he shot his dad when he continued to call her a whore: Tywin had enjoyed that she played at being what he wanted, but he must have knew she couldn't have been the same séductrice she implied with him as she had implied with Tyrion.

In the end I think the Tywin was going to send Tyrion to the wall, just as he agreed with Jaimie, and needed his son to wake up to the mind-trick the whore played on him... (thus he was playing her) but escaping short-circuited Tywin's process.

My only question about Shae was how long was she in Tywin's pocket. Was she really his all along, and Tywin was playing a game with Tyrion, or did she see where the money/power was and flip.

I also think Tywin was going to kill Tyrion. He said he'd been trying for years to kill him. This would have not only finally done that, but also put Joffery's death to rest publicly. I only think he would have sent Tyrion to the wall to secure Jamie fathering children.. fathering Lannister legit children.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
My only question about Shae was how long was she in Tywin's pocket. Was she really his all along, and Tywin was playing a game with Tyrion, or did she see where the money/power was and flip.

I also think Tywin was going to kill Tyrion. He said he'd been trying for years to kill him. This would have not only finally done that, but also put Joffery's death to rest publicly. I only think he would have sent Tyrion to the wall to secure Jamie fathering children.. fathering Lannister legit children.

At least to me, it doesn't seem like they made her play a long con with Tyrion. The love between her and Tyrion appeared to be real up until Tyrion broke her heart on purpose to drive her out of King's Landing. I assume Tywin/Cersei was able to bribe enough people to track her down to get her to testify. After/during the trial, I'm sure she was pissed enough at Tyrion to do anything to hurt him including fall back to her "old ways" and be Tywin's whore. I'm sure the books go into it deeper, but this is how I interpret how the show made it play out.

I'm not sure Tywin would have had that option realistically anymore. It would have worked had Tyrion played nicely but he went dirty and pissed everyone off.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
PSSST..... bullshit!

Whose ass did you pull that nonsense out of?
Yeah that doesn't make sense at all.

If Shae was in Tywin's pocket the whole time why the hell did she care Tyrion called her a whore? Because she did.

Both characters legitimately had feelings for each other. That's why the betrayal hurt both ways. It hurt Shae when he dismissed her and called her a whore. It hurt Tyrion when she lied to the court.