Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 369 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
not sure if we will hear much from Pycell--Cersei demoted him down to creepy old man; no longer creepy old man with influence.

BTW--I really like Pycell and especially the actor portraying him. I still think of that scene in season 2? where he's finished bedding the whore, goes on rambling about nonsense as he usually does, and as soon as she leaves, he drops his eternal old man act for a few moments to stretch and get ready. Then he puts on his robe and wizard hat, reintroduces the hunch, and saunters out of his chambers. Epic.

Ever see the delete scene with Tywin and Pycelle? More of the same stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6m4V4D_ba8&feature=kp

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Okay, thanks guys, I think I might just start from book 3 to make it simple.

I'd start with book 1. You have plenty of time to finish them before the next season and when you get to the end of book 5 you'll be right back to wondering what happens next.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
If one wanted to find out what happens next in the series where should he start reading the books? I understand the many differences and I should start from the beginning (book 1) but If I wanted to start somewhere close to the end of season 4 where would that be? Just start book 4 fresh?

Sansa and Petyr's story has already caught up to the books. Brann has almost caught up. You won't find out much more about the Hound either.

Anything more about those characters next season will be the work of the show writers or from Martin's unpublished material.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Someone already linked the appropriate reference to children riding dragons. None of this new fangled cartoon shit. :colbert:

Now get off my lawn. :mad:

6611879-M.jpg

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I will accept this as an alternative.

Honestly I didn't think How to Train your Dragon was bad, I just couldn't resist and opportunity to be an old man. If I'm going to have the odd hair grow out of where ever the hell it wants to I might as well be able to shake my cane occasionally.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Sansa and Petyr's story has already caught up to the books. Brann has almost caught up. You won't find out much more about the Hound either.

Anything more about those characters next season will be the work of the show writers or from Martin's unpublished material.

wow this saddens me, but thanks for the info :(

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

wha?
so next season is all about arya, john snow, tyrion, and dragon mom?

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
wha?
so next season is all about arya, john snow, tyrion, and dragon mom?

The directors of the show know the general idea of where the story's going from GRRM, so maybe they'll continue the storyline(s) from that information when they run out of book material. No faster than Martin's getting the books written, the show will probably be over and in syndication before he finishes the books........

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
I think the Vegas odds are that he'll die before it's finished, ala. R. Jordan.

The quote below is from the book thread. Don't worry, no spoilers in my post.

Edit: I should mention there are very likely spoilers in the link, there just aren't any in my post, so don't click it if you don't want to know. I haven't actually read the interview, so I don't know what's there, just be forewarned. :)

Q&A with GRR Martin's editor.
"I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013"

That's not too promising as far as getting the books finished any time soon......

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

the tv show still is in Book3 right?
book 4+5 have little/no LF+Sansa, Bran, or Hound?!

Mar 10, 2005
the tv show still is in Book3 right?
book 4+5 have little/no LF+Sansa, Bran, or Hound?!

Season 5 will consist of material from both the fourth and fifth novels of the A Song of Ice and Fire book series, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.[2] The two novels take place simultaneously alongside one another.

are you asking for spoilers?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
are you asking for spoilers?
I think he basically wants to know what seasons correspond to what books.

I think it goes like this:
Season:Books
1:1
2:2
3:3
4:3
5:4/5
6:4/5

Which is why some of us are confused how we hit a story's end so soon. That shouldn't happen until season 6, since things are happening chronologically. Unless some of the story arcs end in book 3 and aren't in 4/5, which seems really odd.

You don't have to mention story arcs by name, that's spoilers stuff obviously. I kind of want to know because I want to start reading the books, but I started with the show so I don't want to outpace the show reading the books.

edit: obviously the story arcs won't end where they are, if they need to they will push them on ahead of the books. It's bound to happen, just didn't expect it to happen for almost 2 years.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Which is why some of us are confused how we hit a story's end so soon. That shouldn't happen until season 6, since things are happening chronologically. Unless some of the story arcs end in book 3 and aren't in 4/5, which seems really odd.

You don't have to mention story arcs by name, that's spoilers stuff obviously. I kind of want to know because I want to start reading the books, but I started with the show so I don't want to outpace the show reading the books.

edit: obviously the story arcs won't end where they are, if they need to they will push them on ahead of the books. It's bound to happen, just didn't expect it to happen for almost 2 years.

You're mostly correct, except some stuff from book 3 wasn't finished in season 4. Likely, there will be 3 season of books 4 and 5, which seems about right, as far as pacing goes. Both were like 1000 pages each and each was centered on each side of the narrow sea.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

yes thx!

it does seem strange that grmm have written off Sansa/LF, Bran, and the HOund for 2 books.

I can understand the Hound. He's dead like Synrio.
but a dead stop in the sansa/lf + bran plot lines for 2 books?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
You're mostly correct, except some stuff from book 3 wasn't finished in season 4. Likely, there will be 3 season of books 4 and 5, which seems about right, as far as pacing goes. Both were like 1000 pages each and each was centered on each side of the narrow sea.

Unlikely. The plan for the show is 7-8 seasons. There are 3-4 seasons left of the entire show. Book 4 & 5 will be mostly complete next season IMO.

Some of the storylines are already nearly out of material.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Unlikely. The plan for the show is 7-8 seasons. There are 3-4 seasons left of the entire show. Book 4 & 5 will be mostly complete next season IMO.

Some of the storylines are already nearly out of material.

Not even close. Have you read books 4 and 5? There is plenty, especially more than 10 hours worth of TV.

They plan the show for 7-8 seasons is stupid, considering there are two unfinished books, which could expand a lot more on stuff.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Not even close. Have you read books 4 and 5? There is plenty, especially more than 10 hours worth of TV.

They plan the show for 7-8 seasons is stupid, considering there are two unfinished books, which could expand a lot more on stuff.

Yes I have read them, have you? Most of those books are atmosphere and backstory completely unnecessary for the story.

7-8 seasons might sound stupid to you, but that is the plan. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons/

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Cool you guys have taken over the TV thread with book discussion. Good stuff. :rolleyes:

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yes I have read them, have you? Most of those books are atmosphere and backstory completely unnecessary for the story.

7-8 seasons might sound stupid to you, but that is the plan. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons/

Yes, I have. And there is far more than 10 hours worth of content.

Cool you guys have taken over the TV thread with book discussion. Good stuff. :rolleyes:

KT

What thread is appropriate to talk about the show and the book in terms of length of story and possibly episode counts?

Nobody is talking about specific content, just the amount and the effects on the show it is having.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
What thread is appropriate to talk about the show and the book in terms of length of story and possibly episode counts?

Nobody is talking about specific content, just the amount and the effects on the show it is having.

The book thread since it is about the books...seems pretty obvious.

KT