Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 361 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Me too.

In fact, it makes me wonder why anyone EVER rode dragons. Why not just warg them into battle instead and not risk yourself?

Dragon riding seems like a luxury and unneeded risk.
I assume because the dragons can't be controlled unless ridden. Not everyone is a warg, and the people you WANT to ride the dragon's (trustworthy/loyal/capable) most certainly aren't.

Dragon riding seem necessary to actually use them in combat.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I assume because the dragons can't be controlled unless ridden. Not everyone is a warg, and the people you WANT to ride the dragon's (trustworthy/loyal/capable) most certainly aren't.

I'm guessing being able to warg into dragons is extremely rare and maybe never has happened before and that is why Bran is so special.

KT

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Me too.

In fact, it makes me wonder why anyone EVER rode dragons. Why not just warg them into battle instead and not risk yourself?

aren't wargs only ever heard of in the north?

was there ever any reason for dragons to fight in the north?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Me too.

Maybe they didn't. Perhaps 'ride a dragon' means warging into them, and since it has been so long since anyone had done it they just all think it is literal.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Okay so Tywin Lannister did not seem to upset about his son and daughter boinking each other. Not that it matters now.
I took that as he always knew but never wanted anyone to say anything about it ever. Kind of like the wife who knows the husband drinks but never says anything about it because he hides it.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
So I'm taking it that the black dragon that is missing is gonna be Bran's play toy or something?

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I personally don't think the hound is dead because he never got to resolve anything with his brother. This isnt a book spoiler either because book readers don't know either.

Then again maybe he is because grrm likes shitting on any sane writing style.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
I personally don't think the hound is dead because he never got to resolve anything with his brother. This isnt a book spoiler either because book readers don't know either.

Then again maybe he is because grrm likes shitting on any sane writing style.

I agree with you, imo If the mountain is alive next season we will also see the hound alive.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Was anyone paying close enough attention to know if the crossbow Tyrion used was the same one Joffery used in a previous season?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
for the same reason he worked against Ned - his loyalty appears to be for the realm (and he wasn't happy with Robert's rule, and Ned was actually helping to fix things enough to keep Robert in power...), and we saw him conspiring with Illyrio from Pentos early in the series

Not so much Robert's rule, Verys wasn't trying to sabotage that, rather it was Stanos he was firmly opposed to being the successor and his advisor Melisandre. And Ned was trying to make Stanos the successor.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

IIRC, Wargs only come from the north, and north of the wall, really. Bran and that nerdy guy seem only capable of it because of Stark/First Men blood, no?

Targaryans and their dragons are southern folk, no?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
IIRC, Wargs only come from the north, and north of the wall, really. Bran and that nerdy guy seem only capable of it because of Stark/First Men blood, no?

Targaryans are from Valaria, which is in Essos (really everyone, but the Children, are from Essos).

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Me too.

Dragons are magical so I'm going to assume warging doesn't work on them. Otherwise the North wouldn't have needed to surrender to the Targaryens 300 years ago. They could have just taken over the dragons.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Someone needs to make a image of that wise and beautiful woman kick like there is of the wise and beautiful woman punch one.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

That's my take on it. People keep saying Brandon will warg into a dragon, and I'm sure that'll happen, but I bet he's also one of the 3 dragon riders.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Dragons are magical so I'm going to assume warging doesn't work on them. Otherwise the North wouldn't have needed to surrender to the Targaryens 300 years ago. They could have just taken over the dragons.
No one could do it to a person (until Hodor got warg'd), probably couldn't do it to dragons either.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
So, is it just me or is Stannis the good guy now? I don't like him, but at the very least he's not ignoring the army of the undead out to kill them all.

Tyrion lost a whole bunch of karma points for killing his own father on the toilet, even if Tywin was a dick.
And I fully expect a "Is that what I saved you for? So you could murder my father?" out of Jaime if ever they meet again.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
dang, if only Geoffry had gone out the way Tywin did. Except he would have panicked and we would have had an extremely satisfying time watching that snot be on the other side of that crossbow. :p It was over far too quick for that kid. His death should have been well savored.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
dang, if only Geoffry had gone out the way Tywin did. Except he would have panicked and we would have had an extremely satisfying time watching that snot be on the other side of that crossbow. :p It was over far too quick for that kid. His death should have been well savored.

Really? Jeoffrey was killed at the height of his power. The war was basically won, he had found a wife he actually seemed to like (at least in the show), his wealth and opulence was on display vis-a-via that ridiculous wedding with all its courses, plus he was murdered in front of all of his peers/subjects/family. His death was pretty satisfying IMO.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
That's my take on it. People keep saying Brandon will warg into a dragon, and I'm sure that'll happen, but I bet he's also one of the 3 dragon riders.

The-NeverEnding-Story-the-neverending-story-6220015-852-480.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So, is it just me or is Stannis the good guy now? I don't like him, but at the very least he's not ignoring the army of the undead out to kill them all.

Tyrion lost a whole bunch of karma points for killing his own father on the toilet, even if Tywin was a dick.
And I fully expect a "Is that what I saved you for? So you could murder my father?" out of Jaime if ever they meet again.

Jaime and Tywin had quite a falling out earlier in the season, I doubt there will be many hard feelings there.