Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 359 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
A lot of characters were completely left out this season. I thought we'd at least get a glimpse of some of them. Yara get a scene that went nowhere, just so we wouldn't forget about her. They even got Hot Pie in there.

Missing this season:
Rickon and Osha
Freys, and their prisoner Edmure Tully (how's the honeymoon working out?)
Brynden Tully (he escaped last season)
Gendry (still paddling?)
The Brotherhood without Banners
Balon Greyjoy (what about Melisandre's leeches?)

Feb 6, 2007
Say "whore" again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say "whore" one more goddamn time! :p

This made me laugh harder than I've laughed in a long time. Literally to the point my wife wanted to stab me to shut me up.

Great episode. I was glad they didn't show Sandor actually die; leaves me hope. Technically they didn't show Tywin die either, which leaves me even more hope. In fact, if the next season is just a 10-hour rendition of Tywin and Sandor go to White Castle, that's the best thing that's ever happened in human history, and it's not even close.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A lot of characters were completely left out this season. I thought we'd at least get a glimpse of some of them. Yara get a scene that went nowhere, just so we wouldn't forget about her. They even got Hot Pie in there.

Missing this season:
Rickon and Osha
meh. no one cares
Freys, and their prisoner Edmure Tully (how's the honeymoon working out?)
meh, no one really cares. he had 4 lines, was a foil in 3 scenes throughout season 3. he's useless.
Brynden Tully (he escaped last season)
Who? is that the Blackfish guy? maybe he's relevant, but not in the world of the TV show. The Starks are annhilated. the Bird people are annhiliated. Any relation to those people is nothing more than a distraction at this point. Seems like meandering book stuff that would go nowhere.

Gendry (still paddling?)
lol. very good point. I've been wondering this myself, considering the 3 seasons and many episodes that have been devoted to him.

Hey! Maybe the boat that Arya is now on, heading to Bravos, will knock up against poor Gendry's dingy, adrift on the sea. :D

The Brotherhood without Banners
True, again. Something was going on there, but now there is other magic in the world...I guess these guys, with their god of light, will have something to do with the tree people and fire crotch (did you see how Fire Crotch was eyeing John Snow and his sexy King's Blood? you can just tell she wants to burn that dude...)

Balon Greyjoy (what about Melisandre's leeches?)

Father of Dickless? whatever. those guys are creeps, and not in an entertaining way--like the old perv dude at The Twins. I wanted more of HIM. He was fucking entertaining.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hound is dead

there's no reason to continue his story without Arya

not so sure if Tywin is dead. I think he'll still be alive next season.

Shae was just a whore in the end. glad Tyrion got closure with that.

wonder what is going to change about the Mountain

assumed Children of the Forest were going to end up being involved because of the HBO produced YT videos about them and the trees with faces

I assume White Walkers are corrupted Children of the Forest. no idea if that is true or not.

I seriously hope Bran does not actually start being able to fly unless it involves warging birds

Last edited:

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
good finale, I enjoyed it

not sure I understand exactly why stannis would have risked sending a newly acquired army up north when he could have used it to siege kings landing and achieve his primary goal. By relieving the pressure on the wall from the wildlings he did the Boltons a favor, since the Boltons would be the ones who would have had to deal with it after they got through the wall. That would have ensured they wouldnt be able to help resist Stannis taking Kings Landing.

But I'm sure it will all work out in the end, otherwise there would not be any story.

Stannis believes what the Red Lady tells him to do

Red Lady told him to help the Night's Watch

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
good finale, I enjoyed it

not sure I understand exactly why stannis would have risked sending a newly acquired army up north when he could have used it to siege kings landing and achieve his primary goal. By relieving the pressure on the wall from the wildlings he did the Boltons a favor, since the Boltons would be the ones who would have had to deal with it after they got through the wall. That would have ensured they wouldnt be able to help resist Stannis taking Kings Landing.

But I'm sure it will all work out in the end, otherwise there would not be any story.

looks like you could use some episode reviews, as we know the Night's Watch sent pleas for help to anyone who would listen, and we know Davos got that letter and brought it to Stannis' attention. Plus we also know Melisandra had visions that they need to be in the north, so both of Stannis' most trusted advisers want him to be there.

Also, don't forget its not just the Boltons in the north, there are other houses/people that are there.

so we lose the best character of the series, and one of the best of the season, so that Ser RobotWalk lady may survive? fuck you, GRRM!

we've been over this before and you still haven't caught on; you can't jump on the "Fuck you GRRM" bandwagon in a thread about the show unless you're talking about an episode he wrote. The only episode he wrote this season was episode 2.

It should be needless to say, but the fight between Ser Milady and the Hound book material spoiler deleted

It should be needless to say, but "People need to have the common courtesy to not post spoilers or ANY material from the books. We have a separate book thread for that thread. So if you feel the need to post about the book material, go to that thread."

admin allisolm

not so sure if Tywin is dead. I think he'll still be alive next season.

He's dead. They rang the bells for Robert and Joffrey. And when Varys heard the bells he turned around and went back to the ship, looking dejected as if he had no other choice but to flee with Tyrion as if that hadn't been the plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 6, 2007
It should be needless to say, but the fight between Ser Milady and the Hound
Nothing.

It should be needless to say, but fuck off this thread. Have you read the books? Are you drawing on knowledge from the books in your post? THEN IT DOESN'T FUCKING BELONG HERE. Literally no one in this thread wants book spoilers. Not one single person. Fuck off. Just stick to the show. If you post anything in this thread that starts with the phrase "well in the books..." then you are the Joffrey of this thread, and people will cheer when you die. Don't be that person.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It should be needless to say, but fuck off this thread. Have you read the books? Are you drawing on knowledge from the books in your post? THEN IT DOESN'T FUCKING BELONG HERE. Literally no one in this thread wants book spoilers. Not one single person. Fuck off. Just stick to the show. If you post anything in this thread that starts with the phrase "well in the books..." then you are the Joffrey of this thread, and people will cheer when you die. Don't be that person.

hBC224B3F

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Lastly I want to say if we wanted spoilers we would use fucking google or the spoiler thread.

Are people this stupid ?

Yes is obviously the answer

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
Stannis' army didnt ride through the wall at Castle Black, they landed at Eastwatch By The Sea and road west along the Wall until they ran into the wildlings.

Sorry if that is spoilery... actually, no I am not, because it isn't.

It's clear they didn't go through Castle Black, they came from the East. Which lines up to what you're saying about an amphibious landing.

OK, so that means they had longer to go and more time for alarm to be sounded. Plus, and i know it's just television, it appeared that both thrusts of the cavalry, separated by a forest, conducted a classic pincer attack to the same point- Mance's HQ. Unless they had satellites and radios, just not buying it.

I thought the way John Snow handled the situation was good, reminding Stannis his dad died for him...

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
OK, so that means they had longer to go and more time for alarm to be sounded. Plus, and i know it's just television, it appeared that both thrusts of the cavalry, separated by a forest, conducted a classic pincer attack to the same point- Mance's HQ. Unless they had satellites and radios, just not buying it.
Yeah, maybe alarms could be sounded... But I highly doubt Mance's army was the least bit prepared for an invasion, let alone on the alert for one. As for the pincer attack, hasn't that tactic been used for centuries long before satellites and radios? They managed it then, so it's certainly plausible in this situation. Also keep in mind, as they've said more than a few times, that Stannis' mind for war strategy is second to none.
I thought the way John Snow handled the situation was good, reminding Stannis his dad died for him...
Absolutely. Also interesting how Stannis asked Jon how Ned would've handled the capture of Mance.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
As much as the Hound in concept is really an asshole who should be hated, there's a certain depth in his character that I thought Arya would have figured out by now and have learned to appreciate and sympathize with since he cared for, mentored, and respected her in an asshole way... the most figurative display of a savage dog with a master :p

So I thought it was a bit cold on her part to leave him like that which leads me to believe he's going to live.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Yeah, maybe alarms could be sounded... But I highly doubt Mance's army was the least bit prepared for an invasion, let alone on the alert for one. As for the pincer attack, hasn't that tactic been used for centuries long before satellites and radios? They managed it then, so it's certainly plausible in this situation. Also keep in mind, as they've said more than a few times, that Stannis' mind for war strategy is second to none.

To add to this:

A. They didn't believe there were many Crows left in Castle Black so by extension, much backup for that matter. The conversation between Mance and Jon shows that. They were caught with their pants down.

B. Mance said he had several hundred scaling the wall for another attempt to attack Castle Black a 2nd time. Also a pincer move... twice in a row for which no one would have sounded horns either so...

C. Stannis approach didn't need to be surprise attack, they charged in with Calvary. Horns don't travel long distances I don't think. It wouldn't matter much anyway, it would have been a slaughter.

Last edited:

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
So I thought it was a bit cold on her part to leave him like that which leads me to believe he's going to live.

No way. Arya hated the Hound for killing Micah in S1 and he was on her list. She didn't kill him because that was what he wanted - a quick death. She wasn't going to give him that.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
No way. Arya hated the Hound for killing Micah in S1 and he was on her list. She didn't kill him because that was what he wanted - a quick death. She wasn't going to give him that.

Well yea, she hated him but it seemed like she was beginning to understand his mentality. In the end, I felt he did enough to have earned a quick death from her.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
yah. Jaq'an Daderp gave her that when they parted, and he changed his face at the end of season 3. Said "this will be the most valuable coin you have" or something like that. Vallar Margulis. blah blah.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
we've been over this before and you still haven't caught on; you can't jump on the "Fuck you GRRM" bandwagon in a thread about the show unless you're talking about an episode he wrote. The only episode he wrote this season was episode 2.

errant spoiler text removed

It should be needless to say, but the fight between Ser Milady and the Hound

I can, and I'm going to, and I don't care what your omnipotent book knowledge does for you, because you lack the perspective of those of us who don't have that knowledge when approaching the material.

If a character is dead, that is on GRRM, and I don't give a turd if my internet projections towards an author offend you.

Oh, nice with the book spoilers there. good one. Again, no one cares about what you know is going to happen.

I apologize. when I removed the spoiler text, a piece wound up in another location in his post. Don't know how that happened and, again, I'm sorry that it did. He should not have posted the info and I inadvertently made it worse while trying to make it better.:oops: :( Hopefully the book info is all deleted now.

admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I can, and I'm going to, and I don't care what your omnipotent book knowledge does for you, because you lack the perspective of those of us who don't have that knowledge when approaching the material.

If a character is dead, that is on GRRM, and I don't give a turd if my internet projections towards an author offend you.

Oh, nice with the book spoilers there. good one. Again, no one cares about what you know is going to happen.

I think I may be done with this thread. This is why we cant have nice things on ATOT. fucking trolls.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Scared to read above Manimal's last post, but just wanted to say I thought it was an awesome episode.

The Jason and the Argonauts moment was badass.
The whole scene with Stannis, Snow, and Mans was great.
Finally Shae dies and so fittingly by Tyrion's hand; fantastic.
Loved the fight with the Hound and Brienne, though I have to say I'm going to miss that wise and beautiful woman. :(

I think this was the best season so far, I just hope Tywin is not dead because I would love to see him raging and trying to track down Tyrion. Hvae to say I was kind of shocked to see Varis leave the city since I thought he was all about the realm, but maybe he is off to find Stannis and advise him.

KT