Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 358 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
2ahxp8o.png

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I sometimes wonder why boobs watch GoT, if all they want to do is bitch about it. Apparently they'd be happier with fantasy that's more "conventional" and dumbed-down. I believe Legend of the Seeker is still available on Netflix, I'm sure it would be more to their liking. :p

For those griping about Stannis...
the Red Woman said that was the last warm bath she'd have for a while, that's plenty of insight into what's potentially on the horizon and about as much foreshadowing the writers and producers of the show generally give. If you can't contribute at least a fraction of your attention to the plot and what's said and then add 2+2 together, it's no one's fault but your own. It isn't that difficult to guess what's around the corner most of the time.
Hey, I like GoT AND Legend of the Seeker

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
the Red Woman said that was the last warm bath she'd have for a while, that's plenty of insight into what's potentially on the horizon ...

I am pretty sure they heard of fire at the wall

In fact they used quite a bit of it during the last episode...

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
I miss The Hound already )-:

Good wrap up.

really good fight between briane and the hound. She did a terrible job explaining the situation to Aria. But it moves the plot along.

Why would Varis risk his life and livelyhood for Tyrion?

My son just wished me a happy fathers day and said, "I promise not to shoot you with a crossbow".

I don't believe that an army that big could get through the wall and surprise attack the wildling army. Plus, if the army was 100,000 strong, with giants and god knows what other creepy creatures, the few thousand cavalry Stannis brought could route them so quickly. Just not buying it.

Plus, Stannis bround the red witch? Needy SOB.

The thread with Bran is interesting but just doesn't have the connection with me that Aria's, Tyrion's, the dragon lady, etc. Kinda too wierd.

The Lanisters are in deep do do is Stannis makes a deal with Manse.

now we gotta wait 9 months!

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Stannis' army didnt ride through the wall at Castle Black, they landed at Eastwatch By The Sea and road west along the Wall until they ran into the wildlings.

Sorry if that is spoilery... actually, no I am not, because it isn't.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I miss The Hound already )-:

Good wrap up.

really good fight between briane and the hound. She did a terrible job explaining the situation to Aria. But it moves the plot along.

My son just wished me a happy fathers day and said, "I promise not to shoot you with a crossbow".

I don't believe that an army that big could get through the wall and surprise attack the wildling army. Plus, if the army was 100,000 strong, with giants and god knows what other creepy creatures, the few thousand cavalry Stannis brought could route them so quickly. Just not buying it.

Plus, Stannis bround the red witch? Needy SOB.

The thread with Bran is interesting but just doesn't have the connection with me that Aria's, Tyrion's, the dragon lady, etc. Kinda too wierd.

The Lanisters are in deep do do is Stannis makes a deal with Manse.

now we gotta wait 9 months!

Thermopylae?

Mance has a hundred tribes of people that are myriad of races, tribes, with family and fighters and they speak different languages, most aren't warriors and almost none are on horse, few have armor. Some hate each other but only band for a common cause. Meanwhile Stannis has a well trained army on horse, with full armor.

There are numerous examples in history where a smaller and better trained army has either won against, or did a lot of damage to, a worse trained army.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
for the same reason he worked against Ned - his loyalty appears to be for the realm (and he wasn't happy with Robert's rule, and Ned was actually helping to fix things enough to keep Robert in power...), and we saw him conspiring with Illyrio from Pentos early in the series

illyrio-105.jpg

and Illyrio has been helping the Targaryans the most, but considering how shady the two have been, who knows what their true motives are, or if they even have the same ends in mind and are just working together for the time being

they came by sea; Stannis was able to acquire men and ships thanks to the loan from the Iron Bank

while there might have been 100,000 wildlings, they're not professional soldiers (many, if not most, are women/children/elderly), and they're using inferior materials, the book basically describes them as stone/bronze-age at best, with the only iron and steel they have being stolen.

So, heavy horse + superior weapons + coordination/discipline + element of surprise = ownage

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
good finale, I enjoyed it

not sure I understand exactly why stannis would have risked sending a newly acquired army up north when he could have used it to siege kings landing and achieve his primary goal. By relieving the pressure on the wall from the wildlings he did the Boltons a favor, since the Boltons would be the ones who would have had to deal with it after they got through the wall. That would have ensured they wouldnt be able to help resist Stannis taking Kings Landing.

But I'm sure it will all work out in the end, otherwise there would not be any story.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
refresh my memory of why the iron coin Arya gave the ship capt was so valuable that his eyes bulged out and she got passage with a cabin?

LOL @ Varius.... bells ringing, "im getting the fuck out!!!"

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

so we lose the best character of the series, and one of the best of the season, so that Ser RobotWalk lady may survive? fuck you, GRRM!

anyway, fantastick episode, overall! :D

the Bran and Children stuff...seems way too long, too many seasons, to actually see magic. slow burn, but whatever, interesting. --I think it was only from Bran's Maester in Winterfell, the only one to have that fancy link on his chain, that we got real hints that magic "may exist."

...so Bran will "learn to fly" ...he be a dragon?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It was the coin from the shapeshifter

yah. Jaq'an Daderp gave her that when they parted, and he changed his face at the end of season 3. Said "this will be the most valuable coin you have" or something like that. Vallar Margulis. blah blah.