Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 356 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Maybe, just maybe, the uncertainty around Stannis' location isn't "bad writing", maybe it's intentional so that the audience won't know where or when he'll show up again.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
There are 3 main castles and a bunch of towers. The only castle actually manned anymore is Castle Black.

There is a sea, but wildings have no ships or experience on the sea.

This link is the map of the wall, it might have spoilers (I don't think so), but it does have places labeled. One such label is misleading, as it is referring to Brandon the Builder, who gave the Night's Watch a bunch of land to farm; not Bran Stark from the current story. http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110708124258/gameofthrones/images/c/ca/The_Wall_Map.PNG

That's a huge difference than

game_of_thrones_the_wall.png

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Does anyone else hear the theme song playing when they see this?

I hear that incredibly loud and obnoxious song from the trailer for "the Boxtrolls", because that is what that art style reminds me of, and the trailer for that movie is so incredibly loud it has been stamped forever in my brain.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
There are 3 main castles and a bunch of towers. The only castle actually manned anymore is Castle Black.

There is a sea, but wildings have no ships or experience on the sea.

Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower are also manned. Qhoran (from season 2, the guy Jon killed after he was captured) came from the shadow tower.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower are also manned. Qhoran (from season 2, the guy Jon killed after he was captured) came from the shadow tower.

so 100men at black castle and a few dozen at each tower?

eastwatch = port?
so little threat from wildings since they don't have ships nor do they plan on using the port to go south?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
so 100men at black castle and a few dozen at each tower?

eastwatch = port?
so little threat from wildings since they don't have ships nor do they plan on using the port to go south?

I don't know if the show ever details how many men are at the other 2 forts. I would suspect it is mentioned in Season 2 when Mormont decides to go out in force.

Yes, Eastwatch is a port.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Maybe, just maybe, the uncertainty around Stannis' location isn't "bad writing", maybe it's intentional so that the audience won't know where or when he'll show up again.

I imagine he's taking his newfound mercenaries to the Wall, so he can call himself the savior of Westeros and boost his claim to the throne.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Olenna already said she had no interest in marrying a Targaryen so she seduced Luthor Tyrell.
me thinks the lady protest too much

I don't know if the show ever details how many men are at the other 2 forts. I would suspect it is mentioned in Season 2 when Mormont decides to go out in force.

What this episode showed is the wall is a formidable defensive system. Realistically 5-10k men can stop 100k easy if they are spread across the wall manning all the towers and castles. Even 1k men will be enough for Mance though I doubt 1k or 10k could hold off the white walkers. So do giants and wooly mammoths turn into zombies? If they do Im heading south to Mereen and join Darios posse.

Had a funny thought if all of Crasters wives had been given a castle on the wall and how that would have made excellent reality television.

Last edited:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Well, they have been shown riding zombie horses...

Do you guys think Mances army took care of all the dead from that first day or would they leave them for the crows to take care of?

There should be hundreds of dead down there.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Came across this while Google-ing:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/09/game-of-thrones-showrunners-finale-4-tease/

Entertainment Weekly said:
'Game of Thrones' showrunners promise: Best finale yet

The Battle of Castle Black may have been the biggest action set-piece in Game of Thrones history (and probably TV history, too), but next Sunday’s hour of the HBO hit could be the show’s best episode ever.
Related
Game of Thrones: See Full Coverage 'Game of Thrones' team on [spoiler's] tragic death during Castle Black battle 'Game of Thrones' director Neil Marshall: How he pulled off that battle

Titled “The Children,” the 10th episode of the fourth season will break a narrative pattern that’s been set by the show in previous years. Usually the ninth episode contains a major character death or battle, and the finale is a quieter hour (by Thrones standards, at least) that wraps some storylines while launching other threads for next season. Expect “The Children” to check in with all the key characters and for some major drama to unfold.

“It’s the best finale we’ve ever done, bar none,” Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss said in a statement. “The performances from our cast, the direction from Alex Graves, the VFX work, the new [music] cues from Ramin Djawadi—all of it came together in perhaps the finest hour we’ve produced. We’re immensely proud of ‘The Children.’ And a little intimidated by the episode, because now we have to get back to the business of season five and figure out a way to top it.”

Of key interest is the fate of Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage), who was sentenced to death at the conclusion of the eighth episode. But there’s also Jon Snow (Kit Harington) marching off to assassinate Mance Rayder (Ciarán Hinds), Arya (Maisie Williams) setting a new course, and you cannot have a Thrones finale without at least one surprise involving the dragon queen (Emilia Clarke). Expect “The Children” to be a longer-than-usual episode, too — HBO’s schedule says the finale is 66 minutes.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

They stated in season 1 that there were less than a 1000 men in the Night's Watch. It seems that those are divided almost evenly since Castle Black only had a little over 300 men. 200 went with Mormont, and most were slain, leaving leaving only a little over 100 left.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Will anyone mind if we talk about the trailer for next week's episode?
The Hound vs. Brienne.
It did look like that's what's going to happen doesn't it?

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I want to say Jon is walking to his death. That's what "should" happen, sacrificing himself to save everyone else. Right? OK, so GRRM. What "should" happen is out the window, but possible. Love that about the writing.

I had Jon picked as a long term player, before last episode I thought he would escape or something. Night's watch falls but he survives. Well, going to fight the enemy 1v1 doesn't really allow that.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
It was almost dawn when the battle began. Jon said that the climbers wouldn't be able to reach the top of the wall before dawn.
Those who accuse the show of shitting the bead
Have achieved only the shitting of this thread