Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 352 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
There is an explanation for that but, while not a spoiler, it is verboten to speak of it.

Cool, lets leave it that way. I'd rather not know.

Ya the speech was great and so was Aemons chat with Sam. I have to say the writing this season has been top notch. I may not have liked or seen some of the directions of the show but in the end thats what makes this show special. Between Tyrions best TV actor performance ever this season and the production values of this show its the best thing on TV right now since we lost motorhome of speed.

They pulled back Sir Allister or w/e his name is and didnt show him dying. While he did have a cut to the stomach he may still be around now that I think of it.

When Aemon was talking about a girls I totally expected him to say it was Lady Olenna.

Haha, I totally kept expecting him to say Olenna too.

Agree on the writing and acting this season, overall it has been quite excellent. Probably the best season overall from a pure quality standpoint.

KT

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I think the issue is even if you scale the wall like the raiding party, you have to still hit the castle and open the tunnel. Even if you got 1000 climbers over the top, it means nothing. You need to open the gates to let the floodwaters in.

Once you control the top of the wall, they could sit there at the gate below at their leisure prying it open. No oil barrels or arrows or rocks raining down on you.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Stannis doesn't have an army to march and had to go to the Iron Bank for funds. Unless it wasn't shown, they haven't changed the plan to march north to the wall and help.

yeah, I'm not sure if they specifically changed their plans, but conversations earlier in the season--before going to Braavos, I believe--was what to do now that Jeff's was dead, Stannis saying that now is the time to strike, if he doesn't continue to press his claim then he will lose whatever advantage he thinks he has. But, I don't think any specific direction for his lack-of-army has been laid out.

I do know that season 3 ended on a very clear plan to march towards the wall (it was Fire Crotch who told Stannis not to execute Onion, because she agreed with Onion and said that Stannis would need Onion for that assault). But since that scene, I don't recall any of them mentioning anything about the march towards the wall, throughout this season. Unless I missed it.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
WTF, I went to TV.com for the episode guide and the 1st line of the the last episode pretty much gave away a lot... I know I should not have read it, but it was right there... very hard not to glance..

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I just want to know what's stopping them from tunneling through the wall?

Sure it's thick but it's still made of only ice and easy enough to break not to mention hard to defend from above once you get a ways in.

Also you can do this at any section of the wall instead of the only place with a tunnel as we saw.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Sure it's thick but it's still made of only ice and easy enough to break not to mention hard to defend from above once you get a ways in.

Also you can do this at any section of the wall instead of the only place with a tunnel as we saw.

If they destroy the wall, what they are running from has an easier time following them.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007

As primitive as they are they wouldnt have the engineering discipline to do it right. They would hack at it and it would fall on top of them like bad miners.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
yeah, I'm not sure if they specifically changed their plans, but conversations earlier in the season--before going to Braavos, I believe--was what to do now that Jeff's was dead, Stannis saying that now is the time to strike, if he doesn't continue to press his claim then he will lose whatever advantage he thinks he has. But, I don't think any specific direction for his lack-of-army has been laid out.

I do know that season 3 ended on a very clear plan to march towards the wall (it was Fire Crotch who told Stannis not to execute Onion, because she agreed with Onion and said that Stannis would need Onion for that assault). But since that scene, I don't recall any of them mentioning anything about the march towards the wall, throughout this season. Unless I missed it.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at above. I thought there was a chance he could show up at the wall with his new army, but I guess not, unless it happens next week.

KT

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If they destroy the wall, what they are running from has an easier time following them.

The problem is they have had thousands of years to do this and it's only recent the white walkers are around although when the watch was at full strength it would had been a lot harder.

Even though the watch has been at a greatly weakened state for a long time.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The problem is they have had thousands of years to do this and it's only recent the white walkers are around.

They were never this organized before. They kept saying Mans Raider was the only one who got them to band together. Prior to now they were just wildly running around like a bunch of wild people.

KT

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
They were never this organized before. They kept saying Mans Raider was the only one who got them to band together. Prior to now they were just wildly running around like a bunch of wild people.

KT

They always have raiding party's that get past the wall so just get some of those on the job of diggy diggy. :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dire wolves aren't magical in nature. They are just big ass wolves. Dragons also have evidence they exist. There are skulls, and the last dragon was only a few hundred years ago. Nobody had seen a white walker for a thousand years. It is rather easy for people to simply say "never seen one nor knew anyone that had" and simply not believe in them.

still, there are plenty that doubt the existence of dragons for the very same reason--I think it was Bronn and or a few others early in the series, saying something like: "Have you seen one? I haven't. Why should I worry about it?"

I think they fall in the same category for most people: we accept that they existed, that they can exist, but there really is no reliable evidence that they still exist, so whatever. Even when reports first started coming in of Daenerys and her dragons, it took many of these reports to actually convince people like Robert and Tywin that they were not only true, but an actual threat (though I think Robert was the only one to not brush it aside as easily as everyone else). I agree that there is a time issue with people's ability to believe in these things--100 or so years vs a few thousand, but even with dragons, the last few generations of dragons were said to have been puny little things that couldnt' possibly threaten anyone.

Not sure if that was something Tywin was talking about, or even Daeany's brother early on, but I rememebr a lengthy history lesson about how the dragons kept shrinking in size over the final known generations, and were even born deformed or something like that.

Further, as you say, it is just easy for everyone to dismiss the claims of whitewalkers because the come from the Crows, and no one really cares about the claims of petty criminals

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
why wasn't there an archer with Grenn's group to hold the Gate, especially since there's a 2nd gate to delay them if they get past the first?

hell, why not give all 5 men bows + arrows? u don't even have to aim. the enemy will be confined in a tunnel. just shoot straight.
take a few more down b4 the 2nd gate falls?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
If I were Mance I would had sent the raiders over the wall to capture ships, and have leftover forces to build ships (primitive shit) just to bypass the wall at the edges of the landmass - far away from Castle Black!

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Cool, lets leave it that way. I'd rather not know.

Haha, I totally kept expecting him to say Olenna too.

Agree on the writing and acting this season, overall it has been quite excellent. Probably the best season overall from a pure quality standpoint.

KT

Olenna is probable in her 70's, while Aemon is well north of 100. I don't think she'd have been chasing someone that much older back in the day.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Olenna is probable in her 70's, while Aemon is well north of 100. I don't think she'd have been chasing someone that much older back in the day.

Well, no idea how I was supposed to know that...

KT

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If I were Mance I would had sent the raiders over the wall to capture ships, and have leftover forces to build ships (primitive shit) just to bypass the wall at the edges of the landmass - far away from Castle Black!

Problem with that is they, wildlings, have no experiance of sailing and you would assume the castle at eastwatch where they could do this would have ships since it's a port and could slaughter them on the sea.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
why wasn't there an archer with Grenn's group to hold the Gate, especially since there's a 2nd gate to delay them if they get past the first?

hell, why not give all 5 men bows + arrows? u don't even have to aim. the enemy will be confined in a tunnel. just shoot straight.
take a few more down b4 the 2nd gate falls?

Didn't the guy in charge in the tunnel say that the giant had already been shot several times?