Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 351 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i am kind of glad we don't have to hear that terrible accent from the red head anymore though.

Fie on you, Fie!

hammer to the head. you could just feel that skull crack like an egg.

speaking of, I thought it odd how, a few seconds before that, Jon sustained his head being smashed into that anvil with nary a scratch. Considering what would have been less force for him to plant that hammer in that dude's head. ...much less after watching that big dude smash horny prince's face in with his hands last week.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I was totally expecting Stannis's army to show up at the end of the show to save the day. Glad they didnt do that would have been too predictable.

Really? That would make no sense... for one they have no idea what is going on at the wall and two he's got a tiny army which he needs to take over the iron throne with. Even if he knew about the attack on the wall he'd have to get off his island(s) and march across the entire North.

Maybe you were thinking of Bolton's army?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Really? That would make no sense... for one they have no idea what is going on at the wall and two he's got a tiny army which he needs to take over the iron throne with. Even if he knew about the attack on the wall he'd have to get off his island(s) and march across the entire North.

Maybe you were thinking of Bolton's army?

recall that Onion knight received that letter from Castle Black--at the end of season 3--and convinced Stannis, via Fire Crotch, to march on the wall to fight the zombie and wildling threat. Still, not sure what is going on with him this season, because it seems they forgot about that plan and have only been talking about getting the army to re-attack King's Landing (I suppose the death of Joffs changed their minds)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
recall that Onion knight received that letter from Castle Black--at the end of season 3--and convinced Stannis, via Fire Crotch, to march on the wall to fight the zombie and wildling threat. Still, not sure what is going on with him this season, because it seems they forgot about that plan and have only been talking about getting the army to re-attack King's Landing (I suppose the death of Joffs changed their minds)

Stannis doesn't have an army to march and had to go to the Iron Bank for funds. Unless it wasn't shown, they haven't changed the plan to march north to the wall and help.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
recall that Onion knight received that letter from Castle Black--at the end of season 3--and convinced Stannis, via Fire Crotch, to march on the wall to fight the zombie and wildling threat.

Really? My memory fails me yet again

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Stannis has an army. Not a large army, but he does have some troops. That's also why they went to Braavos for a loan. To hire ships and mercenaries.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Nooooooo the sexy wildlings lady died. :'( She was supposed to end up with Snow and find a love so sweet it transcends factions and blood. :(

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I really do not get John Snow's plan at the end. Trudge across the snowy wasteland, through the entire army, by himself, without a weapon, hoping to find Mans and kill him so the wildlings all stop fighting? Makes no sense to me.

For some reason I keep thinking they are all going to unite against the White Walkers. Maybe Snow will somehow make that happen when he is North of the wall.

KT

Edit: I will miss Rose Leslie. She was super hot. :(

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I really do not get John Snow's plan at the end. Trudge across the snowy wasteland, through the entire army, by himself, without a weapon, hoping to find Mans and kill him so the wildlings all stop fighting? Makes no sense to me.

For some reason I keep thinking they are all going to unite against the White Walkers. Maybe Snow will somehow make that happen when he is North of the wall.

KT

Edit: I will miss Rose Leslie. She was super hot. :(

Jon is attempting to Parley with the hopes of getting close enough to Mance to kill him, thus scattering the wildlings. He seems to just not care anymore (having lost his wild women) and is being all "I don't care if I die!" mode. This is basically a last ditch effort to stop Mance, as he can continue to attack for days. Even if they lose 1000 wildings per attempt, they can outlast the Night's Watch. Mance just has to pull a Zapp Brannigan and continue to send wave after wave until they've hit their kill limit.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Jon is attempting to Parley with the hopes of getting close enough to Mance to kill him, thus scattering the wildlings. He seems to just not care anymore (having lost his wild women) and is being all "I don't care if I die!" mode. This is basically a last ditch effort to stop Mance, as he can continue to attack for days. Even if they lose 1000 wildings per attempt, they can outlast the Night's Watch. Mance just has to pull a Zapp Brannigan and continue to send wave after wave until they've hit their kill limit.

Yeah, I sort of got that feeling of helplessness, but it still seemed a bit strange as a "plan".

I did also find it weird that in the finale of last season (I believe) there was a big thing about sending ravens out everywhere to make people aware of the oncoming threat, yet not a single person or group of people were available to help fight at the wall. Could be some crazy time shifting going on, but if you believe the amount of ground covered by all of the other stories is occurring at the same time, then somebody should have received word and come to help. True, they only showed the red witch as really recognizing the threat (at least as far as I can recall), but still.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, I sort of got that feeling of helplessness, but it still seemed a bit strange as a "plan".

I did also find it weird that in the finale of last season (I believe) there was a big thing about sending ravens out everywhere to make people aware of the oncoming threat, yet not a single person or group of people were available to help fight at the wall. Could be some crazy time shifting going on, but if you believe the amount of ground covered by all of the other stories is occurring at the same time, then somebody should have received word and come to help. True, they only showed the red witch as really recognizing the threat (at least as far as I can recall), but still.

KT

Pretty much anyone not on the Wall thinks the Wall's problems are just that of the Wall. The belief in the supernatural (white walkers, giants, etc) is something that only people who have seen it believe. Plus, the wildling threat is something they also don't care about. Getting a raven from Castle Black that says "please send help. wildling forces gather and white walkers raise the dead!" isn't going to get much of a response. Davos knows the supernatural exists (he saw the shadow baby thing), so he reports it to Stannis and the red priest confirms it is real and Stannis has to fight it.

As far as Jon's plan, yeah, there is no motivation for him to really do that. It was handled much better in a medium we are not allowed to speak of. It just feels very forced. They are trying to make Jon the hero, and he has to take on the insurmountable odds with a fool's plan! I will give the writers credit for being clever on one thing though: they certainly can set up the generic, overused fantasy tropes and leave viewers wondering if it will work out.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007

KT

Remember back to season 1, Tyrion kept commenting about "grumkins and snarks." He was making light of the claims that things live north of the wall that would terrify men. Nobody has seen a giant or a direwolf or a whitewalker. They're the stuff of old wives' stories. Even after he visited the wall he didn't believe in all of the stories but he did realize that the Watch was dying. He went back to King's Landing and got laughed at.

Nobody cares. Nobody believes the stories so nobody cares. They think the Night's Watch does nothing but sit there. It's an alternative punishment for thieves and rapists, not a legitimate fighting force keeping everybody else safe.

The Starks are dead. The Northmen were the only ones that still believed. Bolton is too busy to do anything even if he cared. The Tullys are all dead. The Arryns and the Vale are too chicken. The Lannisters don't care. The Tyrells don't care. The Martells don't care and are too far away. What house with any capabilities believes the "dire warnings?"

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The disbelief in all things supernatural north of the wall was displayed by Slynt's discussion with Jon on top of the wall before he was "summoned" to the fight below in castle black.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The disbelief in all things supernatural north of the wall was displayed by Slynt's discussion with Jon on top of the wall before he was "summoned" to the fight below in castle black.

That is what I mean. Saying "an army of 100,000 plus some giants is attacking our force of 100" is going to read as "we are making shit up!" to everyone who hasn't seen a giant or a white walker or something else. People who have seen it (almost entirely those on the wall) are the only ones that believe in that stuff. Even Ned Stark wasn't convinced there were white walkers. He believed the deserter was not lying, just that he might not have seen what the believes he has seen.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
While the show definitly goes out of it's way to tell us that most people do not believe in the dangers beyond the wall, it still seems weird that everyone is like 'Giants and White Walkers, don't be foolish!' while at the same time discussing the dangers of dragons and dire wolves.

Feb 19, 2001
Ygritte's a camper. She got what AWP whores deserve in Counter-Strike. Shot in the back.

The wildlings that were trying to climb up... They should have scaled up a section further out which is undefended (pretty easy to tell... No torches on top) and then flanked the defenders on top

I think the issue is even if you scale the wall like the raiding party, you have to still hit the castle and open the tunnel. Even if you got 1000 climbers over the top, it means nothing. You need to open the gates to let the floodwaters in.

Remember back to season 1, Tyrion kept commenting about "grumkins and snarks." He was making light of the claims that things live north of the wall that would terrify men. Nobody has seen a giant or a direwolf or a whitewalker. They're the stuff of old wives' stories. Even after he visited the wall he didn't believe in all of the stories but he did realize that the Watch was dying. He went back to King's Landing and got laughed at.

Nobody cares. Nobody believes the stories so nobody cares. They think the Night's Watch does nothing but sit there. It's an alternative punishment for thieves and rapists, not a legitimate fighting force keeping everybody else safe.

The Starks are dead. The Northmen were the only ones that still believed. Bolton is too busy to do anything even if he cared. The Tullys are all dead. The Arryns and the Vale are too chicken. The Lannisters don't care. The Tyrells don't care. The Martells don't care and are too far away. What house with any capabilities believes the "dire warnings?"

Were the Ravens sent from the Wall all ignored? All anyone really has to do (Bolton's the closest) is send 1000 men to garrison the forts on the Wall and they should be OK, no? I suppose its too late to help at this stage. Plus, haven't the bald men and Ygritte made too much noise down south anyway? A small force should've been dispatched long ago.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
While the show definitly goes out of it's way to tell us that most people do not believe in the dangers beyond the wall, it still seems weird that everyone is like 'Giants and White Walkers, don't be foolish!' while at the same time discussing the dangers of dragons and dire wolves.

Dire wolves aren't magical in nature. They are just big ass wolves. Dragons also have evidence they exist. There are skulls, and the last dragon was only a few hundred years ago. Nobody had seen a white walker for a thousand years. It is rather easy for people to simply say "never seen one nor knew anyone that had" and simply not believe in them.

Mar 10, 2005
speaking of, I thought it odd how, a few seconds before that, Jon sustained his head being smashed into that anvil with nary a scratch. Considering what would have been less force for him to plant that hammer in that dude's head. ...much less after watching that big dude smash horny prince's face in with his hands last week.

i think that's one of the biggest "problems" with this show.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
it still seems weird that everyone is like 'Giants and White Walkers, don't be foolish!' while at the same time discussing the dangers of dragons and dire wolves.

People know that dragons existed, they've seen their bones. Nobody who hasn't seen Danaerys actually believes she still has dragons.

The direwolf that was killed in s01e01 was the first direwolf seen south of the Wall in a century. Nobody believed they existed until they saw this one. Even people who see the kids' wolves don't know they're direwolves, they think they're just really big.

Were the Ravens sent from the Wall all ignored? All anyone really has to do (Bolton's the closest) is send 1000 men to garrison the forts on the Wall and they should be OK, no? I suppose its too late to help at this stage. Plus, haven't the bald men and Ygritte made too much noise down south anyway? A small force should've been dispatched long ago.

Yes, they were all ignored. Bolton wouldn't send any men: he has the ironborn to deal with, has to ensure the North doesn't rise up against him for his part in the Red Wedding, etc. The Wildlings and Thenns south of the Wall have killed everyone they encountered; nobody else even knows they're there.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
The red woman specifically said in the booby tub scene that it would be a long time till she had a hot bath. Stannis is a very focused guy and would have the sense to rebuild the empire from the north since the boltons will attack his back the second he makes ground.

From a strategic standpoint sending half your troops north to recapture Winterfell and work your way south works since I think Stannis has enough ships to sail all the way north to the castle by the sea leaving his troops only march across the wall in haste.

When those troops garrison the wall and work south they could regroup with the main army somewhere like Moat Cailin or the neck.

Pip and Sam should have been with Aemon and the damn wolf should have been released the second they saw mances fire. Why the hell dont they have more of those spear harp things? One in the tunnel would be pretty damn handy. The tunnel should also have a bunch of oil. Soak the floor with it it will burn nicely and collapse when it rages. I am not advocating a rick grimes shoot the ceiling action but hey its ice!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The red woman specifically said in the booby tub scene that it would be a long time till she had a hot bath. Stannis is a very focused guy and would have the sense to rebuild the empire from the north since the boltons will attack his back the second he makes ground.

From a strategic standpoint sending half your troops north to recapture Winterfell and work your way south works since I think Stannis has enough ships to sail all the way north to the castle by the sea leaving his troops only march across the wall in haste.

When those troops garrison the wall and work south they could regroup with the main army somewhere like Moat Cailin or the neck.

Pip and Sam should have been with Aemon and the damn wolf should have been released the second they saw mances fire. Why the hell dont they have more of those spear harp things? One in the tunnel would be pretty damn handy. The tunnel should also have a bunch of oil. Soak the floor with it it will burn nicely and collapse when it rages. I am not advocating a rick grimes shoot the ceiling action but hey its ice!

The oil thing was weird. I was surprised they let so much happen before releasing the oil. Agreed on the tunnel part for sure; I thought they could do something more to make it a bit of a trap or at least close it off. I will say I loved the mini-speech to Jon Snow from the watch captain, basically admitting he was wrong, but then digging right back at snow at the end of it. Was hilarious.

I freaking loved the scythe thing too; that was awesome. :thumbsup:

KT

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
The oil thing was weird. I was surprised they let so much happen before releasing the oil. Agreed on the tunnel part for sure; I thought they could do something more to make it a bit of a trap or at least close it off. I will say I loved the mini-speech to Jon Snow from the watch captain, basically admitting he was wrong, but then digging right back at snow at the end of it. Was hilarious.

I freaking loved the scythe thing too; that was awesome. :thumbsup:

KT

Ya the speech was great and so was Aemons chat with Sam. I have to say the writing this season has been top notch. I may not have liked or seen some of the directions of the show but in the end thats what makes this show special. Between Tyrions best TV actor performance ever this season and the production values of this show its the best thing on TV right now since we lost motorhome of speed.

They pulled back Sir Allister or w/e his name is and didnt show him dying. While he did have a cut to the stomach he may still be around now that I think of it.

When Aemon was talking about a girls I totally expected him to say it was Lady Olenna.