Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 350 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
ultimate troll from GRR Martin: the only person to return after a promise to return...is Sam. for fucks sake.
As soon as he said that, I was like, "this fucking fuck is actually going to survive! FML! The author hates us all!:("

...actually, I liked Sam, and even Gilly in this episode, fwiw.

this thread is about the show, not the book, and the only episode GRRM wrote this season was Ep.2, and you're inferring the two are one in the same. They are not.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Meh.

I would have been fine with an entire episode dedicated to a battle if it completely finished, but it was an entire episode of a 10 episodes/season show dedicated to a battle that still leaves them outnumbered 1000:1. Granted, Jon Snow may have magical persuasion, but I doubt it.

Episode 8: Tyrion is declared guilty and sentenced to death at the end of one of the biggest scenes of the entire series.
Episode 9: Not a single mention of these events.

In other news I went and saw "Tyrion" in Xmen last night. I just can't see him as any character other than Tyrion.

Talking about the next episode's promo has been declared a "spoiler" for those who's spoiler senses are too dainty for even hints, so...
If I heard correctly, Mansraider tells Jon "they'll kill everyone in Castle Black", and he looked wounded. Implies he's no longer in charge or is somehow convinced to alter his plans. Would make sense, being a former member of the knight's watch he would have known about the scythe among other defenses and wouldn't have had his men climb straight into it.

I'm also wondering why the wildlings didn't swarm the tunnel or bring up more giants. Would make sense given that stuff from the promo I can't discuss openly,
They don't know what they're doing without Mans in charge.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Where in the episode did it suggest Jon was going to "talk" with Mance?

when he decided to leave behind his sword? I'd say that's a pretty safe bet to make, that he's going to try diplomacy first and foremost. We saw it in previous exchanges before, and everyone is obviously aware there's a greater threat to both the wildlings and westerosi than each other.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Where in the episode did it suggest Jon was going to "talk" with Mance?

Jon & Sam discussed at lengths his plan to locate and kill Mance. It's not logical to think he is going across the wall and approach the army of 100,000 men asking "Can you point me to Mance so I can kill him?" He is most likely heading towards the army under the pretense of talking/negotiating a peaceful end to the war, otherwise how would he locate their leader let along get close enough to take him out?

Mar 10, 2005
hmmm, kinda mixed feelings on that episode. blackwater was a much more well-rounded episode, and the fighting was not so over-the-top (notwithstanding wildfire). it looked like 10 crows were killed for every wildling - i'd like to see an official score. what was excellent was the pan around the entire courtyard. highlight of the entire episode!

ygritte dies in jon snow's arms
- i called it

janus slynt is a vagina
- i called it

giants shooting telephone poles through people
- i did not call that

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
For a place that's supposed to be an impenetrable fortress, Castle Black is so easily breached. Took almost no efforts at all.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
For a place that's supposed to be an impenetrable fortress, Castle Black is so easily breached. Took almost no efforts at all.

They only had a little over 100 people to defend it (typical garrison is in the thousands), and in the olden days the entire wall would have been manned, making a southern wildling attack all but impossible.

Note the southern attackers were the only ones that actually got into the castle. While they were doing their thing about 30 people held the wall against 100,000 + giants.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005

the wall should be impossible head-on. almost pointless to attack and very easy to defend, although the night's watch would be blinded by their own torches as they look out north :p. as for the rest of the "castle" it seems to be just the back of the wall and a fence around some medieval condos.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Remember the castle was never meant or built to be defended heavily from the south and it was intentional that way.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
"I got one."

"Is it over?"

:biggrin:

They are sure trying to make people like sam after all the hate.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
this thread is about the show, not the book, and the only episode GRRM wrote this season was Ep.2, and you're inferring the two are one in the same. They are not.

Benioff and Weiss wrote this episode.

Uh, so? are you implying that Sam living or dying is somehow different from what GRRM wrote?

or just his comment "I promise to return! boohohoohoo!" That, I can concede.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
"I got one."

"Is it over?"

:biggrin:

They are sure trying to make people like sam after all the hate.

I've never understood the hate really. Sam was the sweet, weak, clueless sheltered nerd; I have a theory that a lot of Game of Thrones fans only got pissed when they started unintentionally relating to him. :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Jon & Sam discussed at lengths his plan to locate and kill Mance. It's not logical to think he is going across the wall and approach the army of 100,000 men asking "Can you point me to Mance so I can kill him?" He is most likely heading towards the army under the pretense of talking/negotiating a peaceful end to the war, otherwise how would he locate their leader let along get close enough to take him out?

afaik, Mance and those on the other side of the wall wouldn't really be aware of Jon's betrayal, no?

Seems to me that Jon could approach Mance as a surviving member of the wildling raid (though--yeah. very unlikely. but whatever)

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just in case it hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZbzBw1ZLI

That reminds me... the theme played at the end (and during the battle). Was that a sort of Hans Zimmer-ized Game of Thrones theme? It sounded like the same theme, but a bit slower and more melancholy... almost like it belonged in Pacific Rim. Actually, after thinking about that for a second... that makes sense because Pacific Rim's soundtrack was done by none other than Ramin Djawadi, the composer for the Game of Thrones soundtrack.

You'd think I would have remembered that given this being taken from my iTunes library :p
XScCfLt.jpg

does anyone else think the bearded red-haired wildling guy looks like a muppet?

You mean this muppet?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
your link is busted

i was thinking generally, especially with the fur outfit, but yeah dr teeth is a good match :D

tumblr_m74ez92BRB1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

20110707_mayhem_190x190.jpg

Last edited:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Remember the castle was never meant or built to be defended heavily from the south and it was intentional that way.

Isn't castle black just one of many strongholds along this vast northern wall? And most if not all the others are abandoned?

Why did this army of 100,000 just concentrate on attacking the one defended part? Couldn't they have tried scaling the wall in the outer reaches of the wall, spreading their forces out along the length of it?

Surely the raiding party ygrette was part of was there to scout the defenses and clearly see the rest of the wall is unguarded...

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Isn't castle black just one of many strongholds along this vast northern wall? And most if not all the others are abandoned?

Why did this army of 100,000 just concentrate on attacking the one defended part? Couldn't they have tried scaling the wall in the outer reaches of the wall, spreading their forces out along the length of it?

Surely the raiding party ygrette was part of was there to scout the defenses and clearly see the rest of the wall is unguarded...

Its pretty hard to get 100,000 people scaled over the wall. They need a tunnel to march the majority of their host through.

I would assume the Night's Watch had the sense to fill in any tunnels for abandoned castles.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Its pretty hard to get 100,000 people scaled over the wall. They need a tunnel to march the majority of their host through.

I would assume the Night's Watch had the sense to fill in any tunnels for abandoned castles.

The wildlings that were trying to climb up... They should have scaled up a section further out which is undefended (pretty easy to tell... No torches on top) and then flanked the defenders on top

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i was not a huge fan of last night's episode. i didn't like how it was just 1 story the entire episode. i felt they could have easily shown less of that battle and still gotten the point across. i also felt the episode was so dark that it was hard to make out exactly what was going on during some of the fighting.

i am kind of glad we don't have to hear that terrible accent from the red head anymore though.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Mance seems like a rational guy. Just offer him the other really big empty castle for the winter.

I really liked the episode and like most of you knew they wouldnt show any kings landings for a resolution. I had a feeling red bush would be killed off. Was sad to see the death of pip and the beard guy. Would have loved to see the Giant Go down in the tunnel.

If Vagina Slynt is in charge after this fight Jon is gonna go back to Mances army...

I was totally expecting Stannis's army to show up at the end of the show to save the day. Glad they didnt do that would have been too predictable.

I have a feeling that Bran is gonna do something crazy when he gets to the tree with the Reeds. If he networks into the trees and the trees are everywhere as the dreams are alluding to he should be able to warg into a TON of animals in the north. Imagine him controlling the giants and the dinosaurs and a pack of wolves! If he can control hodor how far is he from controlling giants and weak men?