Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 347 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
We don't actually know if Kevin Spacey was Keyser Soze. The only thing we know is their initials match.

What? Have you seen the movie. The artists rendering of Soze is Kevin Spacey. Plus, it is revealed he isn't the cripple and made up the entire story using elements from the office.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
You might want to use spoiler tags. They haven't revealed that in the show yet.

The dagger used in the attempt on Bran was Tyrion's, but he'd lost it to Balish in a wager and that was the last anyone else had seen it. All that was revealed in the show.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
What? Have you seen the movie. The artists rendering of Soze is Kevin Spacey. Plus, it is revealed he isn't the cripple and made up the entire story using elements from the office.

I'm thinking the person thought they saw Keyser Soze, but really was looking at Kobayashi the entire time. And every interaction that the usual suspects had with Kobayashi, they were actually talking to the real Keyser Soze.

In short. Kevin Spacey is Kobayashi, and Pete Postlethwaite is Keyser Soze.

The "assistant" actually being the leader is quite often how these things go.

Mar 10, 2005
The dagger used in the attempt on Bran was Tyrion's, but he'd lost it to Balish in a wager and that was the last anyone else had seen it. All that was revealed in the show.

baelish claimed he lost it to tyrion. varys knew this and said something like "what if the lannisters found out you helped them reach that conclusion?" implying baelish's story can't be taken at face value (surprise!).

i've found the knife issue was spelled out and concluded in the books, but is left ambiguous in the show. what i want to know is how can tywin not get a valeryan steel sword for the family, yet at least 1 joker is running around with a valeryan knife? and everyone in westeros is like "ooooh, valeryan steel" when most would never have heard of it, never mind recognize it.

at least they got over their "send a raven" kick. all day - raven this, raven that. put down the raven and pay attention! hey, is that a monthy plan, or am i paying per raven? holy crap! if you raven the wall 1 more time, i'll send you there in person!

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
No, what's so great about the forum is that now it seems to be controlled by a bunch of screaming children who think everyone else should accede to their whims. While the post might have sounded like a spoiler to those who are not paying attention it was in fact NOT a spoiler and that fact seems to have escaped the vocal minority who keep whining about it. Nobody here is responsible for keeping track of what a few idiots miss because they're so busy screaming "SPOILER!!" at the top of their lungs that they forget to pay attention to the show. Something either is a spoiler or it is not and if it's not a spoiler it is not magically transformed into one because one petulant child happened to miss the scene where it took place. What this thread is now is nothing more than the boy who cried wolf, the anti-spoiler crowd loses the moral highground when they shout "SPOILER!!" at people who are NOT posting spoilers.

My point was, and still is, that what was posted did sound like a spoiler. As there are/were a bunch of people that lord the books over the rest of us it wouldn't be too far to think it was a spoiler. Rather than say "OK that wasn't a spoiler but it wasn't nor was I intending to spoil anything" people starting thinking they were funny and mocking the whole point of the spoiler free rule. I agree that if it's been shown it should be up for grabs. I also think that some posters should also understand that a lot of people have issues because of the asshats before.

The Hound was never bitten in the books. He never even ran into Biter and Rorge.

Unless you read the books, and that's kind of the point on the no spoilers in this thread rule, you wouldn't know that.

the spoiler-free zone was made a mockery by claiming something that aired a year ago was a spoiler. i am mocking that mockery. also, i am now mocking you, sir.

how is it that i, without gazing upon scrolls of martin, nor motion picture of future tense, may divine such fatal knowledge? is my dark secret tea leaves? chicken's blood? backwards rock and roll? nay! it happened to be the punchline of an awesome scene, in possibly the most talked-about episode of any tv show, ever.

what is so difficult to understand? the moment something airs, it's fair game to discuss. you don't see me in here on sunday nights because i don't get to watch the show until monday - i don't tell everyone else to shut up until i can catch up to the rest of the universe. now i'm getting bullshit for a line of dialogue that aired 368 days ago. if somebody can't pay attention, or can't remember, or just doesn't understand, must this discussion thread grind to a halt? if so, then lock the fucking thing up.

Here is what you posted that caused people to think you spoiled something..

stupid me, we already know how the hound gets it, and it isn't the bite.

As the Hound has a bite that he was actively poking at in the last episode, a lot of us non-book readers could take that as a spoiler. It's really not that hard to see how we could. Rather than just accept the fact that it could be seen as a spoiler, point out it wasn't and move on, you'd rather lamely mock the whole thing. It's amazing to me that someone as obviously
as intellegent as you appear to be could be saying "what is so difficult to understand?" when you can't seem to understand that what you posted could be seen as a spoiler. Instead you'd rather post a bunch of crap.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
thank you for the compliment, and congrats on qualifying the statement with "appear to be" :p

Wasn't a dig, I'm just accepting the fact that I don't in fact really know you. Based upon your posts you are obviously intelligent, but for all I know you're an idiot savant in real life who has a talent for making articulate posts. Joys of only "speaking" to someone via a computer forum.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Can't we all just drink a beer and move on. :beer;

OK, so I'm going to stick to me idea that Tyrion is a longer term player. He'll somehow survive the sentence. The only way I really see is the wall, even when guilty you can still ask to be sent there.

My guess is he will be sent there. But........ Given what's going on up at the wall I don't think it'll be there (or worth defending) by the time he travels to it.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Can't we all just drink a beer and move on. :beer;

OK, so I'm going to stick to me idea that Tyrion is a longer term player. He'll somehow survive the sentence. The only way I really see is the wall, even when guilty you can still ask to be sent there.

My guess is he will be sent there. But........ Given what's going on up at the wall I don't think it'll be there (or worth defending) by the time he travels to it.

Or, as we've seen quite a few times... a lot of people who head to the wall never get there. It's a loooooong way up there.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
how about people just not talk about the books in this thread and go in the other one?

Well that is exactly what should be happening. Why people who read the books feel he need to post in here at all bewilders me. There is a thread for those people where they can talk about the show and how it all relates to the book, yet they want to come here and post and get pissed at us show watchers when we call out what seems like a spoiler. /sigh

KT

Mar 10, 2005
anyway, it's already friday and we have 2 more shows to plow through.

do you think the sisters will meet up in the vale, or will it be a near miss? could go either way, as neither knows of the other being there. will brienne stumble into either of them?

if they do hook up, i expect a tearful reunion, followed by both of them "WTF are you doing with HIM? oooohh mmyyyy goooooooddddd"

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I think Jaime is going to help Tyrion escape death, just the way no-one did for Ned... where, how, that's something to speculate about. But Jamie was definitely happy when he thought his bother had gotten off; and honestly would have stood for his brother had his hand been functional.

Perhaps Varys had already been working on something since before the trial, and thats why he was so unhappy that he remembered how Tyrian saved them all? Perhaps in a way that explains Shae's betrayal?

You know Ron, I think that's a great point. Maybe the people surrounding Tyrion have been preparing for him to lose and he screwed the whole thing up when he freaked out. Maybe they know that a smart man is more valuable than land and title? No one is good in in the Martin-verse; but perhaps, just this once, he doesn't stick his shriveled fat dick in our eye and rewards us, instead of punishes us, for watching the show!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Well that is exactly what should be happening. Why people who read the books feel he need to post in here at all bewilders me. There is a thread for those people where they can talk about the show and how it all relates to the book, yet they want to come here and post and get pissed at us show watchers when we call out what seems like a spoiler. /sigh

KT

That thread consists of 3 people: me, momeNt, and Mongrel. People who have read the books are able to have discussions about the show without giving away stuff.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
All I've done was educate people on Usual Suspects... completely unrelated to GoT.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
anyway, it's already friday and we have 2 more shows to plow through.

do you think the sisters will meet up in the vale, or will it be a near miss? could go either way, as neither knows of the other being there. will brienne stumble into either of them?

if they do hook up, i expect a tearful reunion, followed by both of them "WTF are you doing with HIM? oooohh mmyyyy goooooooddddd"

I'm convinced that it'll be a near miss. The Hound seems stuck with Arya, which isn't a bad thing. I'm also convinced she'll become a fighter and a player in the series as time goes on.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Ya it's hard to imagine Jamie just standing by while his bro gets executed.

I think he will smuggle him out somehow. They could use his smaller size to the smugglers advantage.

EDIT: Jamie is still in charge of the King's guard, is he not? All he needs is a couple of loyal gold coats to help him out.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I'm convinced that it'll be a near miss. The Hound seems stuck with Arya, which isn't a bad thing. I'm also convinced she'll become a fighter and a player in the series as time goes on.

A near miss would seem like an overused device at this point, with Bran and John missing each other twice.

I can see Arya entering the vale, and becoming a power player... and keeping the Hound around ala Bron/Tyrion

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

I think it definitely will be. I may be crazy, but the guy that greeted them at the gates was in the room when Sansa said who she was and I would expect him to say something to Arya if Sansa was still around. Maybe not though.

KT

Mar 10, 2005

KT

just so you know,
1. i haven't read the books, and won't until the tv show concludes.
2. moving on

Mar 10, 2005
Ya it's hard to imagine Jamie just standing by while his bro gets executed.

I think he will smuggle him out somehow. They could use his smaller size to the smugglers advantage.

EDIT: Jamie is still in charge of the King's guard, is he not? All he needs is a couple of loyal gold coats to help him out.

that is very practical thinking! :biggrin:

i expect tyrion to walk, but it will obviously take something huge now. episode 9 is where they like to climax (ned stark, blackwater, red wedding) so watch out for the meteor strike, falling pianos, something major.

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
I think it definitely will be. I may be crazy, but the guy that greeted them at the gates was in the room when Sansa said who she was and I would expect him to say something to Arya if Sansa was still around. Maybe not though.

KT

I didn't catch that when I watched that episode. You would think he would say "Hey, your sister was just here!" but who knows. He might think the Hound is a threat to Sansa and won't say anything...........

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
They put Tyrion is a barrel and he floats down a river, only to be found by a fisherman and taken to Laketown.

Oops! Spoiler alert.