Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 341 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
Ever heard of Andre the Giant? 7'4, billed at 520lbs. That guy was a monster. I would imagine the Mountain was probably someone similar to that, had he been a real person. And the average person is a foot and a half shorter than that.

Yep, Andre the Giant was who I first thought of. Would have been weird to have essentially been seeing Inigo Montoya vs. Fezzik in that fight though. :hmm:

KT

I thought of Andre the Giant (and The Big Show), but neither one of them has an impressive physique; they're just large, not ripped. And either way, both are still significantly shorter than 8' tall, so they still don't fit the character profile. Given that this is a fictional tale set in a magical world with dragons and smoke monsters and actual giants, I don't think it strains credulity that there's a character who is larger than any actual human in recorded history. It makes it a tough ask to find a suitable actor to portray that character without digital trickery though.

A pro wrestler would have been a great cast for that role: size, agility, and typically very good acting chops. The Rock would have been great, but probably too much baggage for that role (he's well-known, the audience expects something from him). What about a guy like The Undertaker? Dude is a freak. ....he's still alive, isn't he?

The Undertaker is smaller than the two wrestlers I mentioned (Great Khali and Nathan Jones), and both of them are about a foot shorter than ideal. The Rock is tiny by comparison; 6'5", 260 lbs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought of Andre the Giant (and The Big Show), but neither one of them has an impressive physique; they're just large, not ripped. And either way, both are still significantly shorter than 8' tall, so they still don't fit the character profile. Given that this is a fictional tale set in a magical world with dragons and smoke monsters and actual giants, I don't think it strains credulity that there's a character who is larger than any actual human in recorded history. It makes it a tough ask to find a suitable actor to portray that character without digital trickery though.

The Undertaker is smaller than the two wrestlers I mentioned (Great Khali and Nathan Jones), and both of them are about a foot shorter than ideal. The Rock is tiny by comparison; 6'5", 260 lbs.

But that's my point. Any of those could be made to appear 8 or 9 feet tall without too much effort (not for a professional crew, anyway). Added, you're starting off with a better quality actor. The original actor was pretty cool. He looked like a freak and actually resembled The Hound

Feb 6, 2007
But that's my point. Any of those could be made to appear 8 or 9 feet tall without too much effort (not for a professional crew, anyway). Added, you're starting off with a better quality actor. The original actor was pretty cool. He looked like a freak and actually resembled The Hound

Yeah, Conan Stevens was perfect for the role. Too bad it paid less than The Hobbit and whatever else he was doing.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Watching the fight again, while the Mountain's choreography was a little disappointing, Oberon was really good.

Mar 10, 2005
ok...8 down, 2 to go.

s04e09 "the watchers on the wall" - sounds like the night's watch finally get what's coming to them.

s04e10 "the children" - could refer to the children of the forest? not likely. sansa and arya? maybe, but that would mean they have nothing in e09. the white walker babies? yeah, right. my guess is it's a danerys-centric show, since s03 ended with "mhysa" (mother). slaves? dragon rampage? the triumphant return of friendzone? anything goes!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Gah, I don't even watch the fucking "next time on" definitely do not want to read the synopses for the next two episodes. :(

KT

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Did anyone mention how impressive Bravos was in the previous episode?

Kinda explains how the Iron Bank exists outside of the forces of Westeros.

Also... doesn't Dany have to basically pass through/near Bravos on her way to Westeros? What implications does that have?

Why does it seem the free cities of Essos (outside of the Iron bank willing to finance people) have no interest in influencing the politics of Westeros?

Given the state of most of the kingdoms, and Kings Landing, you would think there would be several Essos actors willing to capitalize on the power vacuum.

Mar 10, 2005
Gah, I don't even watch the fucking "next time on" definitely do not want to read the synopses for the next two episodes. :(

KT

there's no synopsis, just the titles and my babbling

Did anyone mention how impressive Bravos was in the previous episode?

Kinda explains how the Iron Bank exists outside of the forces of Westeros.

Also... doesn't Dany have to basically pass through/near Bravos on her way to Westeros? What implications does that have?

Why does it seem the free cities of Essos (outside of the Iron bank willing to finance people) have no interest in influencing the politics of Westeros?

Given the state of most of the kingdoms, and Kings Landing, you would think there would be several Essos actors willing to capitalize on the power vacuum.

essos is much older and wealthier. they don't perceive the potential vaccuum of westeros to be very strong. it sounded like the iron bank was ready to write it off and wash their hands of westeros once and for all.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
ok...8 down, 2 to go.

s04e09 "the watchers on the wall" - sounds like the night's watch finally get what's coming to them.

s04e10 "the children" - could refer to the children of the forest? not likely. sansa and arya? maybe, but that would mean they have nothing in e09. the white walker babies? yeah, right. my guess is it's a danerys-centric show, since s03 ended with "mhysa" (mother). slaves? dragon rampage? the triumphant return of friendzone? anything goes!

09 is all Nights Watch from what I heard. 10 could be children of the forest, but I suspect dragon rampage. Since they foreshadowed it with the mutton barbecue. They'll probably throw in some Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Rickon (lol just kidding).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
09 is all Nights Watch from what I heard. 10 could be children of the forest, but I suspect dragon rampage. Since they foreshadowed it with the mutton barbecue. They'll probably throw in some Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Rickon (lol just kidding).

Ser Pounce makes a triumphant return!

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Was on a vaca so just watching the episode.

Really sucks about Oberyn. He quickly became a favorite character right next to Tyrion. Leading up to the fight I would have bet he would win but then when the fight was about to start and he did his little show-off dancing to the crowd before the Mountain showed up I had a bad feeling to my stomach. That was the first moment I suspected I was wrong about him winning.

I hope the Mountain is dead now though from those wounds. He was stabbed right through the chest enough that blood came flying out of his mouth so that looks like a mortal wound to me.

Why didn't Sansa call out Littlefinger during that little trial thing? She could have had him killed right then and there... I guess she never found out his role in her father's death? I hate Sansa's character she is so obtuse it is painful to watch her scenes. I wish she died instead of Rob or her mother even!

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Really sucks about Oberyn. He quickly became a favorite character right next to Tyrion. Leading up to the fight I would have bet he would win but then when the fight was about to start and he did his little show-off dancing to the crowd before the Mountain showed up I had a bad feeling to my stomach. That was the first moment I suspected I was wrong about him winning.

I hope the Mountain is dead now though from those wounds. He was stabbed right through the chest enough that blood came flying out of his mouth so that looks like a mortal wound to me.

Why didn't Sansa call out Littlefinger during that little trial thing? She could have had him killed right then and there... I guess she never found out his role in her father's death? I hate Sansa's character she is so obtuse it is painful to watch her scenes. I wish she died instead of Rob or her mother even!

I havent read the books.

RE Sansa; Think about it. She knew LF. She didn't know the other people, but she did know her aunt was batshit. And she knew that throughout everything, LF did keep her safe.

RE Oberyn: His spears were tipped with poison. I suspected it and the HBO episode review vid they posted mentioned it. He got his man the first time he stuck him.

Last edited:

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
q84LECl.png

tumblr_n6j5jt95P51tpapcfo1_500.gif

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007

Sansa herself answered your question: better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Sansa herself answered your question: better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Plus, if she had half a brain she could've laid odds on anyone else turning her back over to the Lannisters for a nice reward. She's probably pretty sure Littlefinger won't do that since he just smuggled her away from them.