Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 330 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
What's the torrent tracker numbers on GoT? Are you able to see approximately how many are downloading the show? I know private trackers you wouldn't be able to get the data unless you had the file.

Just curious.

Mar 10, 2005
What's the torrent tracker numbers on GoT? Are you able to see approximately how many are downloading the show? I know private trackers you wouldn't be able to get the data unless you had the file.

Just curious.

i'll describe it the same way rolls royce used to describe its horsepower:

sufficient

Feb 6, 2007
1.4million for how many episodes? There were 40 episodes at that time. Each episode may only be downloaded less than 50k times.

Per the article:
Game of Thrones has been the most pirated TV programme for several years. Site TorrentFreak announced it was the number one download of 2013, with bloody series finale The Red Wedding alone receiving around 5.9 million downloads.

The Red Wedding wasn't actually the series finale, of course, nor was the episode actually called "The Red Wedding," but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Per the article:

The Red Wedding wasn't actually the series finale, of course, nor was the episode actually called "The Red Wedding," but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Damn so HBO is watched more for free than for pay.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Bear in mind those official numbers posted here only include U.S. Does not include the quite significant worldwide audience in various other markets. Torrent numbers (most probably exaggerated) are world wide.

The overwhelming majority of people either watch something legally or they are not interested enough. Movies, tv shows and all. The torrent audience is a very small, tech savvy minority.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Bear in mind those official numbers posted here only include U.S. Does not include the quite significant worldwide audience in various other markets. Torrent numbers (most probably exaggerated) are world wide.

The overwhelming majority of people either watch something legally or they are not interested enough. Movies, tv shows and all. The torrent audience is a very small, tech savvy minority.

Many non-tech savvy people are turning to illegal streaming websites though, and these do not get counted with the torrents. A friend of mine literally just asked on Facebook the other day where she could stream GoT because her previous site stopped working...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Many non-tech savvy people are turning to illegal streaming websites though, and these do not get counted with the torrents. A friend of mine literally just asked on Facebook the other day where she could stream GoT because her previous site stopped working...

Yeah, my tattoo artist knows nothing about tech, but he streams Thrones randomly form somewhere and he, his family, and all of his buddies watch it on his laptop each Sunday night. :rolleyes:

KT

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Ha...this is funny and interesting :)

Until HBO offers their subscription standalone, I guess people will continue to turn to other sources

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Agreed. GoT does not have stupidity the way so many shows and movies do...written by 12 year olds by the looks of it.

Boardwalk is a far deeper work for sure. To me, far more entertaining. I'm surprised how good shows like Breaking Bad and Boardwalk have been.

The problem I have with BE is that it's a show that I have to be in the mood for. I can't really explain it, but it's sort of like Mad Men in that regard. I can't watch either unless I'm in the right mood. As a result, I haven't really made it past S1 of BE.

GoT (or Breaking Bad too) I can watch whenever, wherever.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
The problem I have with BE is that it's a show that I have to be in the mood for. I can't really explain it, but it's sort of like Mad Men in that regard. I can't watch either unless I'm in the right mood. As a result, I haven't really made it past S1 of BE.

I do not have that problem but can see where you are coming from.

BE is not instant entertainment. Something like that has to grow on you. ..it takes time to appreciate the finer points. Sometimes something is said in one line which in other cases may take lots of dialogues and exaggerated facial expressions.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004

I have that problem with the Wire

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah, my tattoo artist knows nothing about tech, but he streams Thrones randomly form somewhere and he, his family, and all of his buddies watch it on his laptop each Sunday night. :rolleyes:

KT

Thanks, I'll pay $15/mo to watch it on my 55 inch tv instead of my laptop. Lol.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

KT

Well it's safer than torrents (no redistribution component), and if you know where to look you can usually find 480p. Plus with a show as popular as GoT it's usually available at dozens of sites within an hour of the episode ending.

/irishScott totally doesn't do this every Sunday night.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Well it's safer than torrents (no redistribution component), and if you know where to look you can usually find 480p. Plus with a show as popular as GoT it's usually available at dozens of sites within an hour of the episode ending.

/irishScott totally doesn't do this every Sunday night.

Yeah that is true. Usenet is where it is at in my opinion with 720p and 1080p.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Thanks, I'll pay $15/mo to watch it on my 55 inch tv instead of my laptop. Lol.

That's assuming you have a cable subscription in the first place. Even back when I lived in the dorms and the University gave us 60 channels I never watched any of them aside from live/breaking news and events. No way in hell I'm going to blow hundreds a year for a service that I'll use once a week at best.