Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 312 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I was commenting about the fact the trial of combat thing even exists in the story world at all. It's such a convenient thing that as you said it, we should have seen it coming a mile away. Pretty much every single accused in the story world that is losing their trial would be dumb if they don't invoke it. I mean, what do they have to lose?

a trial by combat request can be denied, though it happens rarely... you'd also run the risk of two people dying instead of one (you and your champion, rather than just you), assuming you can find a champion at all.

and sometimes, you can just get screwed over.

funny non-spoilery backstory:

Prior to the start of Robert's Rebellion, Lord Rickard Stark, demanded a trial by combat when called to answer for his son Brandon Stark's alleged crimes. King Aerys II Targaryen declared that the Targaryen champion was fire and to prove his innocence, all Rickard had to do was not burn.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I was commenting about the fact the trial of combat thing even exists in the story world at all. It's such a convenient thing that as you said it, we should have seen it coming a mile away. Pretty much every single accused in the story world that is losing their trial would be dumb if they don't invoke it. I mean, what do they have to lose?

I think for most people, life at the wall > being dead.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
If anything, I'm almost questioning my own intelligence by not seeing the trial by combat coming - after the fact, it's an obvious conclusion that Tyrion should call for it.

well, i immediately thought trial by combat when they accuessed tyrion. then as i heard the witnesses, i thought maybe not.

up until shae's testimony, all witnesses were telling the truth, more or less.
but they were just painting a circumstancial case again tyrion.
nothing to suggest it was a kangaroo court.

there was no smoking gun that linked him directly to Jeff's murder.

then shae opened her mouth. that's when i knew he was going to call for trail by combat.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
no way he asks bronn to be his champion, assuming he can even be found - bronn swore up and down shae was on the boat to pentos, yet there she is in king's landing. bronn has been bought out by cersei and tywin.

based on the trial in the eyrie s01e06, the court selects their champion first, if at all. if this court names the mountain, i bet ser humpsalot would immediately offer to champion tyrion.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
no way he asks bronn to be his champion, assuming he can even be found - bronn swore up and down shae was on the boat to pentos, yet there she is in king's landing. bronn has been bought out by cersei and tywin.

based on the trial in the eyrie s01e06, the court selects their champion first, if at all. if this court names the mountain, i bet ser humpsalot would immediately offer to champion tyrion.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I'd have a really hard time with them turning Bronn. It just wouldn't make any sense with anything we know about him at this point, but it's tech possible. I will say, just because she got on a boat to Pentos doesn't mean she stayed on a boat to Pentos. It's very likely that she either got off after Bronn left, or more likely she returned. If I had to guess I'd say that Cersei or Tywin brought her back.

Sep 29, 2007
Guys it's obvious.

1) Loras defeated The Mountain that Rides in the Tourney.
This is 100% a valid way to determine who is better. I mean he's named "The Mountain that Rides." If "The Mountain that Rides" loses a jousting match, he didn't ride very well did he.
2) The Hound and Sandor are tied in battle prowess.
3) Bronn and Sandor are tied (Bronn is faster, Sandor is Stronger)
4) Renly is a sword swallower, so he's tied with Loras.
5) Brienne easily defeated Loras
6) Vagina Monster defeated Renly
7) Brienne couldn't save Renly from Vagina Monster
8) Locke captured Brienne and cut off Kingslayer's hand
9) Hodor defeats Locke

Hodor > Locke > Brienne > Loras > The Mountain that Rides = Hound = Bronn.

Hodor is going to be Tyrion's Champion.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I'd have a really hard time with them turning Bronn. It just wouldn't make any sense with anything we know about him at this point, but it's tech possible.

Why wouldn't it make sense that Bronn turns? Bronn has made it clear that he's a mercenary who follows the money and while he and Tyrion struck up a friendship Bronn like the Lannister gold even more. He might have enough honor to not do anything directly to Tyrion, but it would be completely in character for him to take a big payday to tell a few lies about Shae and then disappear to leave Tyrion to fend for himself. Bronn isn't stupid, he can see which way the wind blows and being too loyal to Tyrion at this point would be a good way to wind up dead. Take the money and run.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Guys it's obvious.

1) Loras defeated The Mountain that Rides in the Tourney.
This is 100% a valid way to determine who is better. I mean he's named "The Mountain that Rides." If "The Mountain that Rides" loses a jousting match, he didn't ride very well did he.
2) The Hound and Sandor are tied in battle prowess.
3) Bronn and Sandor are tied (Bronn is faster, Sandor is Stronger)
4) Renly is a sword swallower, so he's tied with Loras.
5) Brienne easily defeated Loras
6) Vagina Monster defeated Renly
7) Brienne couldn't save Renly from Vagina Monster
8) Locke captured Brienne and cut off Kingslayer's hand
9) Hodor defeats Locke

Hodor > Locke > Brienne > Loras > The Mountain that Rides = Hound = Bronn.

Hodor is going to be Tyrion's Champion.

That's pretty funny but I do think your #2 above is incorrect unless he has a split personality.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

That's my guess on how it goes down.

Bronn didn't necessarily betray Tyrion, although that's the more obvious answer. The boat could have sailed away only to turn around, giving Tyrion "proof" Shae left.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Littlefinger is already married to Lysa and Jaime cannot marry as a Kingsguard.

Tommen and margery still need to be married.

Jamie just agreed to step down from the Kingsguard and start filling some lucky lady with Lannister heirs. All in the most recent episode.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Jamie just agreed to step down from the Kingsguard and start filling some lucky lady with Lannister heirs. All in the most recent episode.

agreed to, but hasn't yet. the whole thing was predicated on Tyrion's life being spared, which is a bit up in the air right now.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
agreed to, but hasn't yet. the whole thing was predicated on Tyrion's life being spared, which is a bit up in the air right now.

This. Jaime agreed to step down, if Tyrion is allowed to live his days out after taking the Black, which, has a particular ex gold cloak who probably isn't entirely happy Tyrion sent him away to die on the Wall. Jaime stepping down is and taking Casterly Rock is hinging on Tyrion losing and being sentenced to "mercy".

And finally! Talking about something other than speculation of what is to come! I can participate!