Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 308 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Oh great thanks for the spoilers!!! Secret bookreader!!! Scumbag!!!

/sarcasm

<Techs mode one>NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know that was a spoiler until you said it was a spoiler. It's all your fault!!! </Techs mode off>

This is exactly the problem. People keep leaving the thread over spoilers, and there is a group of people who continually criticize, make fun, make light of the people who complain about spoilers, so more people leave.

And then those very same people decry what has become of this thread.

The answer is easy. People are leaving because of spoilers just like they say they are.

You can put someone on an ignore list for complaining about spoilers, but even when you put someone who is making spoilers on your ignore list, other people quote them and so you get spoiled.

Heck, probably a third of the people left in this thread are people who have read the books. And that should say something, since they have a thread where they can discuss anything they like, but still come into this thread.

Obviously, some people are mentally challenged and get some sort of perverse pleasure in showing off how much they know about the show. Probably people with inferiority complexes, etc.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In Tech's defense: He is, indeed, on some serious cancer meds right now. I watched my brother go through this a few years ago, and it seriously screws you over.

You feel like shit 70% of the day--nausea and general confusion, the rest of the day you're trying to sleep. Your skin crawls and itches, and simple things like typing on a keyboard is difficult.

He's missing a lot of things from earlier episodes because it can be very difficult to keep a lot of this stuff clear when your mind is racked in this way. (Hell, I missed some important scenes from season 1 just from falling asleep, and not having re-watched those episodes dozens of times in the background, like I can do now with the current season.)

You're put in a situation where you cling to a few distractions that keep your mind occupied elsewhere--GoT for Techs.

That being said, I think it would behoove everyone to just simmer down, maybe Techs reflecting on some posts and whether or not they really are spoilers, before immediately posting and accusing people of such things.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
This is exactly the problem. People keep leaving the thread over spoilers, and there is a group of people who continually criticize, make fun, make light of the people who complain about spoilers, so more people leave.

And then those very same people decry what has become of this thread.

The answer is easy. People are leaving because of spoilers just like they say they are.

You can put someone on an ignore list for complaining about spoilers, but even when you put someone who is making spoilers on your ignore list, other people quote them and so you get spoiled.

Heck, probably a third of the people left in this thread are people who have read the books. And that should say something, since they have a thread where they can discuss anything they like, but still come into this thread.

Obviously, some people are mentally challenged and get some sort of perverse pleasure in showing off how much they know about the show. Probably people with inferiority complexes, etc.

For what it's worth.. I do appreciate your work in helping to keep this thread free of spoilers. I don't know what it is with this series that makes the chunk of the book readers feel the burning need to ruin things. I have never seen it to this level. The only issue I take with it, is you aren't consistent with what was agreed upon. My understanding, and I could be wrong was if it aired it was fair game. We have no pity for the west coast as talks start the moment the east coast gets the feed. Things like upcoming previews would seem fair game, maybe with spoiler tags and marked as such. Plot points that haven't aired shouldn't be spoiled ever.

Just my thoughts on it... and sorry about the cancer. That's a hell of a thing that's cost me some very close and dear loved ones. You have my sympathies and respect for being able to deal with that and police this thread.. even if you are a bit heavy handed ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's not like the previews show anything significant. knowing that character X (who is known to be alive, well, and out and about) is in the next episode isn't really a spoiler.

when the previews show zombie Ned Stark flying around on a dragon, maybe we should mark that as a spoiler... ;)

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
it's not like the previews show anything significant. knowing that character X (who is known to be alive, well, and out and about) is in the next episode isn't really a spoiler.

when the previews show zombie Ned Stark flying around on a dragon, maybe we should mark that as a spoiler... ;)
Not only that but the teasers often intentionally mislead you, see: Arya stabbing the Hound.

At worse, the Mountain, who we knew to be alive, can still swing a sword (only now, without his shirt). At best, it wasn't even the Mountain, looked at the preview again and there's nothing that says it's him. The only way you'd know for sure is if you looked at the actor playing the character.

Spoiler from the preview:
Sansa is in the Eyrie with her crazy Aunt.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
That Ironborn rescue team with their best fighters
forgot to display their colours when attacking
We7pLgs.jpg