Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 302 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
That would be pretty cool. I like this idea.

KT
Good call. Tyrion respects Oberyn as a fighter so this makes sense. Tywin calling the Mountain to give Oberyn a chance at revenge makes sense. Hell Tyrion picking Oberyn knowing Tywin will use the situation to gain favor with house Martell makes sense.

The theory Jaimie doesn't hold as much water, imo. Jaimie is lame, Tyrion knows this (despite recent training). Tyrion might pick Jamie knowing his father would pick someone who couldn't (or wouldn't) kill Jamie, but that seems risky. If you go with this theory, who would Tywin select as the opponent?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Not sure if serious... The keep they are going to is occupied by Iron Born. Reek has to "play" the part of Theon. The plan should be pretty easy to spot.

Fuck! People who have read the books should just stfu about what is going to happen!
Post reported.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Fuck! People who have read the books should just stfu about what is going to happen!
Post reported.

wtf are you on about? Roose told Ramsey to take Moat Cailan, which was occupied by Iron Born. Ramsey tells Reek has needs him to take a castle filled with bad people by playing the role of Theon. What on Earth could that possible have meant? He was going to play the part of Theon to go to King's Landing and file a petition to the king for tax breaks?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
wtf are you on about? Roose told Ramsey to take Moat Cailan, which was occupied by Iron Born. Ramsey tells Reek has needs him to take a castle filled with bad people by playing the role of Theon. What on Earth could that possible have meant? He was going to play the part of Theon to go to King's Landing and file a petition to the king for tax breaks?
:awe::thumbsup::D

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
As was previously speculated, Tyrion choosing Jaime is the smartest move by him, since Tywin will not want to risk his son being killed and would choose someone Jaime can defeat.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

You just keep elaborating on your spoiler. This post also reported.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
As was previously speculated, Tyrion choosing Jaime is the smartest move by him, since Tywin will not want to risk his son being killed and would choose someone Jaime can defeat.

Yeah, particularly now that Jaime has agreed to stop being the King's Guard and take his proper place as heir, though not sure what happens with their agreement now that the trial went off the rails. :hmm:

KT

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
I agree that Installment TV is an outdated model and needs to go away, will go away eventually. There was this Kevin Spacey speech that became very popular on this topic.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Does no one remember that tyrion was going to have to fight for himself in season one unless someone volunteered for him? He can't just pick someone to be his champion. They have to volunteer or you fight on your own.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Does no one remember that tyrion was going to have to fight for himself in season one unless someone volunteered for him? He can't just pick someone to be his champion. They have to volunteer or you fight on your own.

I don't think that's the rule. Tyrion chose Jaime when he was on trial at the Eyrie and Jaime clearly did not volunteer as he's half way across the continent at that time. Bronn volunteered because Jaime was unavailable.

I am not sure about the exact rule of someone who was 'chosen for trial by combat' though. Can that someone refuse? I'm guessing yes. Tyrion was just absolutely sure that there's no way his brother would say no to him. Which is why this time around I immediately thought it was going to be Jaime as well.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Bronn only "volunteered" when Tyrion coaxed him with a whole bunch of money. It's tantamount to picking your guy because there are several people who do it, given the right motivation and/or payment.

KT

Edit: I do wonder if The Crown has to name their champion first or not. If so, and they Tywin chooses The Mountain, then that would definitely bring Oberyn into play.

Last edited:

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
That would be pretty cool. I like this idea.

KT

I think it would be a bit too convenient, bordering on lazy writing. In the small council meeting they mentioned that they just found out where the mountain was... he is a wanted criminal and hasn't be able to be found so I doubt they would name him as their champion.

It will probably be Jaime volunteering to fight for Tyrion, hopefully against Meryn fucking Trant.

Also does anyone think it's dumb how you can demand a "trial by combat" after your normal trial is basically over and you're about to lose?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think it would be a bit too convenient, bordering on lazy writing. In the small council meeting they mentioned that they just found out where the mountain was... he is a wanted criminal and hasn't be able to be found so I doubt they would name him as their champion.

It will probably be Jaime volunteering to fight for Tyrion, hopefully against Meryn fucking Trant.

Also does anyone think it's dumb how you can demand a "trial by combat" after your normal trial is basically over and you're about to lose?

Yeah, I do think that is dumb. Sit there and watch it all play out, then call for trial by combat? Kind of silly.

You may be right about it being lazy, but I am fine with it. All he has talked about since being in King's Landing was getting revenge, so it would make sense to me.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I am pretty sure the small council was talking about Sandor Clegane (the Hound), not Gregor (the Mountain that Rides).

Also, I just can't look at Sandor without thinking about Hot Fuzz. =( He was the big, half wit. I am just waiting for him to say "Yarp".

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I am pretty sure the small council was talking about Sandor Clegane (the Hound), not Gregor (the Mountain that Rides).

Yep, they were putting a bounty out on The Hound since he killed some of their dudes.

KT

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

that was the Hound, aka Sandor, AKA the Brother of the Mountain they were talking about

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000

That was the Hound, not the Mountain I thought?

Mountain v Oberyn makes sense though..

Edit: Damn. I'm a few minutes late to the party. :p Takes a while to catch up.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
You just keep elaborating on your spoiler. This post also reported.

that was not a spolier you fucking moron

Hes either sending him to Moat Cailan or back to the Iron isles to kill his father, its the only 2 things that make logical sense, And seeing as he was tasked to take Moat Cailan like 3 eps ago its a good guess thats what gonna happen

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The recently posted and reported "spoiler" is not a spoiler. Roose Bolton told Ramsay to drive the Ironborn out of Moat Cailan and he would make him legitimate and give him his last name. Connecting the dots from there is easy.

Tyrion demanding trial by combat when the trial was effectively over (not technically over, since the defense hadn't started yet) isn't that absurd; even modern US justice systems allow defendants to cop a plea pretty much any time before the verdict is entered. Not quite the same thing, but similar.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The recently posted and reported "spoiler" is not a spoiler. Roose Bolton told Ramsay to drive the Ironborn out of Moat Cailan and he would make him legitimate and give him his last name. Connecting the dots from there is easy.

Tyrion demanding trial by combat when the trial was effectively over (not technically over, since the defense hadn't started yet) isn't that absurd; even modern US justice systems allow defendants to cop a plea pretty much any time before the verdict is entered. Not quite the same thing, but similar.

I think a trial by combat is "letting the gods decide". Which is why the request is always granted.