Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I don't know if you noticed the look from Selmy when she said she'd pay triple the price. It was basically, "Great, now every damn shepherd for miles around will be bringing you sheep bones."

Yeah, she wants to be a queen but she's still naive.

Mar 10, 2005
meh, this episode was kind of a bummer. among the best parts were our first look at braavos. yay.

the stannis and danerys scenes were as painful as ever, and now that the ironborn have FINALLY reached the dreadfort its resolution gives me no satisfaction whatsoever.

that leaves us with the 1st half of a trial that took forever to happen, followiing the wedding that took forever to happen. sure there was lots of outrageous accusations based on distorted realities and some flat out lies, but the whole thing felt unsubstantial.

shae, shae, shae.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
7OZA1f3.jpg

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Why are we complaining about the Stannis scene? I thought that was great. A contender for the Iron Throne made to wait 30 minutes for a bank. And then when they finally do see him? He gets dressed the fuck down and sent on his way. Only desperate Davos convinces them otherwise. How is this "filler"? I thought the scene after with the pirate was too long. That should have only been 1-2 minutes at most, but titties...

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Dont understand the hate for this episode at all. The pacing was good, the reveal of Bravos gave chills and Tyrion became the Lion. His performance was amazing.

I really liked all the Stannis stuff

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I liked the Stannis stuff this episode, was pretty important, plus we got to see Braavos which was cool.

Dany stuff was pretty blah as per usual.

The attempt save Theon was cool, but man, what a lacklustre conclusion to it. I will, however, be interested to see how this charade with Reek/Theon goes and what that plan is.

The trial was fine, until fucking Shea shows up. Really? Stupid ass Shea? Ugh. I was hoping someone would put a crossbow bolt in her back. By far my least favourite in the entire show and now they bring her back. :thumbsdown: I mean we all knew it would go to trial by combat eventually anyway and I am assuming he will pick Jaime?

I do have to say I think I would watch a whole series of just the small council meetings. So much awesome and hilarious stuff always happens at those meetings. So good.

Overall a decent episode that was completely ruined by Shea.

KT

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I liked the Stannis stuff this episode, was pretty important, plus we got to see Braavos which was cool.

Dany stuff was pretty blah as per usual.

The attempt save Theon was cool, but man, what a lacklustre conclusion to it. I will, however, be interested to see how this charade with Reek/Theon goes and what that plan is.

The trial was fine, until fucking Shea shows up. Really? Stupid ass Shea? Ugh. I was hoping someone would put a crossbow bolt in her back. By far my least favourite in the entire show and now they bring her back. :thumbsdown: I mean we all knew it would go to trial by combat eventually anyway and I am assuming he will pick Jaime?

I do have to say I think I would watch a whole series of just the small council meetings. So much awesome and hilarious stuff always happens at those meetings. So good.

Overall a decent episode that was completely ruined by Shea.

KT

I was actually fine with Shae in the beginning until she started the jealousy craze without any reason whatsoever towards Tyrion. It was clear that he was in love with her, and obviously she knew he was restricted in what he could do or could not do because of who he is and where they are, including him hiding her, his marriage to Sansa, etc. But instead of being patient and actually listened to the man, she had to go all crazy and suspicious, etc. so he had to send her away for her safety. Of course, she thanked him by betraying him like that. What a bitch :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I would like to discuss the trial by combat thing but book readers please kindly not participate on this one as this is something that's really hard to discuss when you already know what is going to happen. My first thought is of course Tyrion would choose Jaime again instead of fighting his own combat. But then again we don't know how far along Jaime is with his left-hand sword training, and/or how much Tyrion is aware about it. The looks on Jaime's face right after Tyrion said it though, to me is showing like he's "Oh well, I'm just going to have to fight for my brother then". Not sure if that's really what that look is supposed to be.

On the other hand, where is Bronn? Is he even around at all or did Tyrion send him away for something (or he got an assignment somewhere?), I can't remember what his current status is. If he's around, is it possible that he'll fight for Tyrion again? Or is it pretty much a done deal that it would be Jaime vs. The Mountain (?) for the trial by combat?

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Not sure if serious... The keep they are going to is occupied by Iron Born. Reek has to "play" the part of Theon. The plan should be pretty easy to spot.

Ramsay said 'the castle', and it wasn't pretty clear which castle he's talking about. I thought about Castle Black at first just because of the word 'castle', but then I realized it doesn't make sense, so no, it is not clear at all to me what the plan is.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Could have sworn that Jon Snow killed Ramsay north of the wall in last weeks episode, and here he is this week kicking butt and taking names with Reek?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not sure if serious... The keep they are going to is occupied by Iron Born. Reek has to "play" the part of Theon. The plan should be pretty easy to spot.

So they're not going to find the mystical tree from the kids' visions? Damn it. :D I honestly have no idea what castle he is talking about, so I guess I'm dumb.

I was actually fine with Shae in the beginning until she started the jealousy craze without any reason whatsoever towards Tyrion. It was clear that he was in love with her, and obviously she knew he was restricted in what he could do or could not do because of who he is and where they are, including him hiding her, his marriage to Sansa, etc. But instead of being patient and actually listened to the man, she had to go all crazy and suspicious, etc. so he had to send her away for her safety. Of course, she thanked him by betraying him like that. What a bitch :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I would like to discuss the trial by combat thing but book readers please kindly not participate on this one as this is something that's really hard to discuss when you already know what is going to happen. My first thought is of course Tyrion would choose Jaime again instead of fighting his own combat. But then again we don't know how far along Jaime is with his left-hand sword training, and/or how much Tyrion is aware about it. The looks on Jaime's face right after Tyrion said it though, to me is showing like he's "Oh well, I'm just going to have to fight for my brother then". Not sure if that's really what that look is supposed to be.

On the other hand, where is Bronn? Is he even around at all or did Tyrion send him away for something (or he got an assignment somewhere?), I can't remember what his current status is. If he's around, is it possible that he'll fight for Tyrion again? Or is it a pretty much a done deal that it would be Jaime vs. The Mountain (?) for the trial by combat?

Yep, totally with you on Shea. That part just made me so angry. I guess that was the point since it made Tyrion angry too.

It seems to me like the training between Bronn and Jaime was leading right to this moment; Bronn fought for him last time and now Jaime, trained by Bronn, will fight for him this time. Who knows though, could be too obvious. My guess is The Mountain for the Crown's champion as well which would partially explain the need for the re-casting this year too.

KT

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I think he should call the dornish prince since Tywin will call the mountain . He wants revenge bad

What in the what?

I'm assuming they are going to try and chop down the magic tree before Bran finds it?

KT

Roose told Ramsay he'd reconsider his legitimacy as his heir if he got rid of the Iron Born in the North. Now we see Ramsay telling "Reek" that he's going to play the part of Theon Greyjoy. We know he's thoroughly broken him so that he's completely loyal and won't even follow his own sister when she tries to rescue him. I can only think of one thing he means to do...

Stannis still has one blood slug left unfulfilled.

Could have sworn that Jon Snow killed Ramsay north of the wall in last weeks episode, and here he is this week kicking butt and taking names with Reek?

That was Locke, one of Roose's bannermen.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Roose Bolton sent 2 guys out, Locke to kill the Stark boys and the Ramsay to take Moat Calin.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

You are thinking of Karl Tanner, played by Burn Gorman. They are somewhat similar in their weirdness and their look, but Tanner is way older.

KT

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Roose Bolton sent 2 guys out, Locke to kill the Stark boys and the Ramsay to take Moat Calin.

Ah that's it! He was tasked by Roose to do something which I completely forgot. That must be 'the castle' he was talking about.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ah that's it! He was tasked by Roose to do something which I completely forgot. That must be 'the castle' he was talking about.

Yep, same here; I remember now. Thanks for the reminder gents.

KT