Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 300 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
I'm psyched for all the Watch Game of Thrones Episode blah blah blah Free! links
which never work

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
It's more like he said "oh, throw a tournament? SURE!!!" and ran up the debt. Tyrion said of LF "he waves his hands and gold appears". Run up the debt on the crown, then move out as the bank takes the king out. More chaos, more chance for power.

Perhaps, LF was going to pull a Stannis and go to the Iron Bank with his new army and say "we can get your gold back! back me on the crown."

I like this weeks episode. The Stannis part wasn't really boring. The Greyjoy part was decent enough. And, the trial was masterful! Can't wait for next week.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Don't even joke about it.
Though, there is one week in this years run where there will be no episode due to the Memorial Day holiday.

I don't get why they do that. They show the show several times during the week, plus it's available on HBO GO. So even with the holiday nobody is going to miss the show.

Sure it might take a small hit in the ratings, but since HBO doesn't rely on advertisements, it shouldn't matter.

What it does do is annoy/confuse their foreign audience. They all have to wait a week because of on an American holiday.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm psyched for all the Watch Game of Thrones Episode blah blah blah Free! links
which never work

You clearly aren't looking at the right sites, I know one aggregator that had dozens of working links within 45 minutes of the episode ending.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Remember what Tyrion had to say to get her to leave? She doesn't understand why he said that.

Yeah, which makes her a lot dumber than her character has been portrayed up to this point. It's one of the few issues I have with the show.

Glad to see Tyrion back in the saddle though. That speech was pure badass. He spent an entire trial getting shat on and condemned and still intimidated the entire room. :D

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I don't know how they'll play out this trial by combat, but Jaime fighting for Tyrion would be perfect - either way it ends Tywin loses, whether it be his leadership or it be his family name :)

But dang I'm so tired and done with the Theon storyline. Just push it to the side so we can get the rest of the show moving, like, I don't know, the Hound finally making it to Eyrie from the Twins after 7 episodes and counting.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
THey could have edited out all the other trash in that episode and just focused on the trial.

The speech at the end is the only thing that saved that one. Bad episode.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
THey could have edited out all the other trash in that episode and just focused on the trial.

The speech at the end is the only thing that saved that one. Bad episode.

I'll admit it was fairly flat by comparison to other episodes, but it laid important groundwork. Staanis apparently got a big fat loan to buy an army, so he'll be a major player soon; and the Onion guy has enlisted his old pirate friend. Dany is keeping to her word and being a benevolent queen (though one wonders how long she can keep it up), and is now the target of assassination again. Theon is so far gone he won't try to escape even when it lands in his lap, dashing any hopes most had of an instant redemption.

If they had done as you suggest and edited out that "other trash" you'd be complaining about stuff coming out of nowhere next week or the week after that.

Game of Thrones is proving how outdated the traditional TV model is. It's far more suited to binge consumption than a weekly episode. No one would complain about this episode if they could immediately go to the next one and see the payoff.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Dany is keeping to her word and being a benevolent queen (though one wonders how long she can keep it up), and is now the target of assassination again.

I don't know if you noticed the look from Selmy when she said she'd pay triple the price. It was basically, "Great, now every damn shepherd for miles around will be bringing you sheep bones."

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
\
Game of Thrones is proving how outdated the traditional TV model is. It's far more suited to binge consumption than a weekly episode. No one would complain about this episode if they could immediately go to the next one and see the payoff.

No whats wrong with TV is the viewers are so jaded they cant even enjoy the show anymore. Whats wrong is the internet is a magnet for people who want to complain and have the delusion that their feeble mind could do better than people who have trained and lived a lifetime to make a show like GOT. GOT has the best there is in tv talent wise.

The phenomena your actually describing is the average viewer is so fucking spoiled rotten by society and their parents that they dont have the fucking patience to wait a week and find out without acting like children.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
No whats wrong with TV is the viewers are so jaded they cant even enjoy the show anymore. Whats wrong is the internet is a magnet for people who want to complain and have the delusion that their feeble mind could do better than people who have trained and lived a lifetime to make a show like GOT. GOT has the best there is in tv talent wise.

The phenomena your actually describing is the average viewer is so fucking spoiled rotten by society and their parents that they dont have the fucking patience to wait a week and find out without acting like children.

No.

We're used to watching movies that finish the story at the end of the movie.

And most tv shows begin their story and end it by the end of the episode.

Even the Sopranos largely was that way, they had the plot of the week that started up and finished.

TV shows of the past were all "plot of the week" type shows, and recent series are you have a long drawn out plot that lasts for the current season (wraps up in the season finale with maybe a twist to set up the next season), and a separate "plot of the week" in each episode.

Game of Thrones does not fit that at all. It's more like a soap opera that continues on forever without a beginning, middle, or end. Soap operas you get five episodes per week, versus one with Game of Thrones.

Also, sounds like you have some anger issues too to work out :) Wishing you the best in seeking help.

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
...... Dany is keeping to her word and being a benevolent queen (though one wonders how long she can keep it up), and is now the target of assassination again. Theon is so far gone he won't try to escape even when it lands in his lap, dashing any hopes most had of an instant redemption.

Target of assassination? When was she threatened by it (in season 4 I mean)?

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I'll admit it was fairly flat by comparison to other episodes, but it laid important groundwork. Staanis apparently got a big fat loan to buy an army, so he'll be a major player soon; and the Onion guy has enlisted his old pirate friend. Dany is keeping to her word and being a benevolent queen (though one wonders how long she can keep it up), and is now the target of assassination again. Theon is so far gone he won't try to escape even when it lands in his lap, dashing any hopes most had of an instant redemption.

If they had done as you suggest and edited out that "other trash" you'd be complaining about stuff coming out of nowhere next week or the week after that.

By other trash I meant how all the other scenes were strung out for far to long. Stannis pacing for 30 seconds? Please... In fact the entire Iron bank sequence seemed to be some sort of contest in which each actor tried to out do the others in moving and speaking in slow motion.

Dany perched like a god up on a dais making people walk slowly to her. Seems like everyone's mother to me? Horrible decision there.

The Theon stuff also dragged on for far too long. the entire bath scene other than 4 seconds of dialog was to serve the purpose of saying, "look how shocking, he has no dick and the crazy guy is staring at his stump."

There was just so much more filler in this episode than I have seen so far in the show.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

So should those of us enjoying the advances in technology get off your lawn?

TV channels were a function of limited spectrum. TV shows were a function of broadcast time. The internet has largely destroyed both limits, but we've spent 70 some-odd years building a massive economy around obsolete limitations, so the "channels" and "shows" stick around. It has nothing to do with being "spoiled" anymore than owning a car is being "spoiled" over a horse and buggy.

Game of thrones is one long continuous plot, even between seasons. Imagine a book where you were forbidden from turning the page to the next chapter for a week.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Target of assassination? When was she threatened by it (in season 4 I mean)?

Just this last episode, at least it was heavily implied. Tywin asked Varys if his little birds could get into Myreen, after saying Dany had to be "dealt with". Given that they were planning to kill her back in season 1 when she was much less of a threat...