Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 298 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
so why did Littlefinger have Arryn poisoned by Lysa?
what would it have mattered to him if Arryn found out the kids were Jamies?

as for framing Tyrion of trying to kill Bran back in season 1:
Why didn't Tyrion say to Catelyn "what jewel encrusted dagger?" or "I never lost a dagger to Littlefinger in a card game"

heck, does Tyrion even know about the dagger that caused this whole mess?

Yes, he did. I'd have to watch a lot of episodes again to find the exact place and quote, I think it's the scene after Catelyn takes him captive just before they are ambushed on the way to the Eyre, Tyrion is talking with someone that if he were to assassinate someone it would make no sense to give him an item that can pin the blame on him.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
so arya crosses the ocean into Mother of Dragons territory.
if that happens, I would think a better plotline would be her being a dragonrider
Possible.

Bravos is in the north-west tip of Essos, she's in slavers bay in the south. If she keeps heading west, she's likely to go to Pentos, the city she was originally in at the start of the show. That would put the two close together.

Speaking of dragon riders, there has to be some right? Who does everyone think they will be? I assume at least 2 have been introduced to us already.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
but why poison him at that point in time? why not a year before? why not shortly after the son was born because there's now a heir?

just coincidence that he was poisoned just as he discovered the 3kids were Jamies?

as for the dagger, I guess tyrion doesn't know that it was LF that pointed to him as the owner?

Because that was the most opportune time. Just like the dagger, LF saw the time for deception and treachery and took it.

Here's the theory:
Faceless men are recruiting/training Arya.

Syrio was a faceless man, taking the form of the first sword of Braavos. He may have kept this face for a long time earning the title. He may have killed the real first sword and used his face. He may not have been a first sword at all and lied.

He could have been hired by the faceless to train her. The key here is there is a connection between the faceless men and Syrio.

Syrio dies, or lives. Possibly Syrio = Jaqen or he was just working with him. The knight still being alive pokes a decent hole in Syrio being alive, but it doesn't sink it.

It's a wild theory for sure, but it's fun.

Where is the connection between Syrio and the Faceless Men outside of them both having something to do with Braavos?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Where is the connection between Syrio and the Faceless Men outside of them both having something to do with Braavos?
Both from Bravos, helping/training Arya, skilled killers. They even had some similar mannerisms, but I can't recall exactly what they were now.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
This is what you say about every single episode. Seriously, just stop watching the show. It is comprised of books that are a thousand pages in length. There is a lot of dialog. If LF revealing he is the mastermind behind pretty much everything isn't exciting, GoT isn't for you. 24 just came back, I'm sure that has tons of exciting explosions to hold you over.

Pretty sure you have me mistaken for someone else. I think I've complained once about the Sam storyline, which is almost universally disliked, but I've never said the show is boring.

Maybe you should make sure you know who you're talking to before you go on an insult-ridden tirade.

<3

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Pretty sure you have me mistaken for someone else. I think I've complained once about the Sam storyline, which is almost universally disliked, but I've never said the show is boring.

Maybe you should make sure you know who you're talking to before you go on an insult-ridden tirade.

<3

Maybe I have. But still, how exactly was Robb boring? The isn't a show about the war itself, merely to interactions around it.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Both from Bravos, helping/training Arya, skilled killers. They even had some similar mannerisms, but I can't recall exactly what they were now.

So, similar mannerisms would be common if both were from the same place, right? Besides them both being Braavosi, they shared very little in common. They didn't even have similar body types. "I've met a man who can change his face like one changes clothes." Nothing mentioning body type. And when Jaqen changed his face, he didn't get shorter or taller or fatter.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
but why poison him at that point in time? why not a year before? why not shortly after the son was born because there's now a heir?

just coincidence that he was poisoned just as he discovered the 3kids were Jamies?

as for the dagger, I guess tyrion doesn't know that it was LF that pointed to him as the owner?

thats prob WHY it happened, LF was prob plotting something for years and this was his opening

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
So, similar mannerisms would be common if both were from the same place, right? Besides them both being Braavosi, they shared very little in common. They didn't even have similar body types. "I've met a man who can change his face like one changes clothes." Nothing mentioning body type. And when Jaqen changed his face, he didn't get shorter or taller or fatter.
The mannerisms could have been regional for sure. Body types? Did you see the face Jaqen changed into?
250px-Jaqen_H%27ghar.png

180px-Jaqen_Faceless_Man_Valar.png

The jaw, the nose... This isn't a quick change artist at play. The time for the change alone should explain there's more to it.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

It was Lord Baelish who guided Ned the whole way to discovering the truth behind Cersei's children, wouldn't surprise me if Baelish was leading on Jon Arryn in the same way just before he orchestrated his death.

Doing it this way puts the Baratheons against the Lannisters, and the Starks against the Lannisters, leaving Baelish to sweep up power and control as the large families fight against each other.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

Jaqen said he was Lorathi. Although about the only thing we know about Lorath is that it's the nearest major city to Braavos. I'm assuming the Lorathi sound like the Braavosi, otherwise it's a poor disguise.

The faceless men are from Braavos, so who knows if he's originally from Braavos or Lorath, or someplace else.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It was Lord Baelish who guided Ned the whole way to discovering the truth behind Cersei's children, wouldn't surprise me if Baelish was leading on Jon Arryn in the same way just before he orchestrated his death.

Doing it this way puts the Baratheons against the Lannisters, and the Starks against the Lannisters, leaving Baelish to sweep up power and control as the large families fight against each other.

Plus he had, by that point, seduced Kate's crazy sister into loving him; so he could guarantee that the Vale would stay out of the resulting civil war, meaning he's now lord of arguably the most powerful Kingdom in the North, the only one that hasn't been torn up by civil war.

Going back to what Varys said about him a couple of seasons ago: "he was born with no money, no lands, no armies. Now he has the first two, how long do you think before he gets his hands on the third?"

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Plus he had, by that point, seduced Kate's crazy sister into loving him; so he could guarantee that the Vale would stay out of the resulting civil war, meaning he's now lord of arguably the most powerful Kingdom in the North, the only one that hasn't been torn up by civil war.

Going back to what Varys said about him a couple of seasons ago: "he was born with no money, no lands, no armies. Now he has the first two, how long do you think before he gets his hands on the third?"
Dorne.

Little did Varys know he already had all three at the time.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Dorne.

Little did Varys know he already had all three at the time.

True but I don't see Dorne coming to the defense of King's Landing if Baelish tried to take over. They married into the 7 Kingdoms out of convenience, and they have a history of successfully resisting dragons, let alone regular armies. Likewise since the former queen's death at the hands of the Mountain they have no real involvement in the politics of King's Landing. They'd have nothing to lose under Little Finger's rule.

By contrast, every other house has a vested interest in keeping him off the throne, and aside from the Tyrells they're all pretty torn up at the moment.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
True but I don't see Dorne coming to the defense of King's Landing if Baelish tried to take over. They married into the 7 Kingdoms out of convenience, and they have a history of successfully resisting dragons, let alone regular armies. Likewise since the former queen's death at the hands of the Mountain they have no real involvement in the politics of King's Landing. They'd have nothing to lose under Little Finger's rule.

By contrast, every other house has a vested interest in keeping him off the throne, and aside from the Tyrells they're all pretty torn up at the moment.
Defend LF? Nah. Conquer, maybe. Just have to consider the pieces on the table. I get the feeling they will be important in the late game.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Possible.

Bravos is in the north-west tip of Essos, she's in slavers bay in the south. If she keeps heading west, she's likely to go to Pentos, the city she was originally in at the start of the show. That would put the two close together.

Speaking of dragon riders, there has to be some right? Who does everyone think they will be? I assume at least 2 have been introduced to us already.

I assume dragon riding requires the skills or assistance of a warg.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I assume dragon riding requires the skills or assistance of a warg.

Since Danaerys doesn't have access to her family's copy of How to Train Your Dragon, she's probably going to mess it up. We're already seeing the dragons' nature come out against her.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
I'm going to call it now. Daenerys comes over to take over westeros, bran wargs into the dragons and wipes out her army, and becomes the new king.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I look at Syrio having one chance of being alive and that is being a faceless man as well. If we think of the Iron Bank of Bravos as being incredibly powerful they would have spies within the midst of the royals. I could see any opportunity to embed with a ruler or important person and spending time every day with the family of the second most powerful guy in the kingdom isnt a bad idea.

that's my entire theory about Syrio being alive, as well. He would have to be one of the faceless for it to be true. Either he sneaked away never to be seen until whenever, is actually the Jaqun Huguerre dude, or--this is nuts--actually killed Meryn Trent and just decided to walk in his shoes this whole time.

I don't give a dick about Syrio, honestly. His character was nothing special to me and I'd be fine if he were dead. I just happen to think that he could very well be alive.

Hey, I was right about the Lannisters actually being in debt--based soley on my hunch that most of the wealthiest people are actually either in debt, or flat out bankrupt; and that would actually be a real reason to ally with the Tyrells. People chided me for suggesting that because "the show has spent innumerable amounts of time telling us that the Lannisters are the wealthiest in all of Westeros!" So, it takes a 1 minute scene from Tywin to inform us all of that, and suddenly all of the rest of you are like "Of course!"

I bite my thumb at these people! :colbert:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe I have. But still, how exactly was Robb boring? The isn't a show about the war itself, merely to interactions around it.

I liked Robb, but in this story, he is pretty boring when compared to other characters. Like Ned, he was the "always just and noble" beloved by all protagonist. Still, I was pulling for his march towards justice.

hey, look, both of those character types were unjustly murdered!

:hmm:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
that's my entire theory about Syrio being alive, as well. He would have to be one of the faceless for it to be true. Either he sneaked away never to be seen until whenever, is actually the Jaqun Huguerre dude, or--this is nuts--actually killed Meryn Trent and just decided to walk in his shoes this whole time.

I don't give a dick about Syrio, honestly. His character was nothing special to me and I'd be fine if he were dead. I just happen to think that he could very well be alive.

Hey, I was right about the Lannisters actually being in debt--based soley on my hunch that most of the wealthiest people are actually either in debt, or flat out bankrupt; and that would actually be a real reason to ally with the Tyrells. People chided me for suggesting that because "the show has spent innumerable amounts of time telling us that the Lannisters are the wealthiest in all of Westeros!" So, it takes a 1 minute scene from Tywin to inform us all of that, and suddenly all of the rest of you are like "Of course!"

I bite my thumb at these people! :colbert:

But of course! The only way you could ever have "guessed" that were if you had read the books, made your prediction, then came back to gloat about how right you are!

I'm just kidding :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
But of course! The only way you could ever have "guessed" that were if you had read the books, made your prediction, then came back to gloat about how right you are!

I'm just kidding :)

lol. A couple of bookreaders pm'ed me about some of my predictions, several times--along with posting in this thread, I think--accusing me of being a closet bookreader. It was really aggravating...when you consider they were essentially spoiling all of that for me. :mad:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
lol. A couple of bookreaders pm'ed me about some of my predictions, several times--along with posting in this thread, I think--accusing me of being a closet bookreader. It was really aggravating...when you consider they were essentially spoiling all of that for me. :mad:

Yea I read that crap from them a few weeks ago in this thread :)

Pretty much all my predictions were wrong, I'm in the clear!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

It's hard to imagine some one accusing you of reading.