Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 220 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Very well thought out post, these are what I want to see.

+1

yes but Tommen isn't of age, and until then Cersei has authority over him and the realm as Queen Regent

and she would hold that position until Tommen comes of age on his 16th nameday

I was under the impression that you poison someone at a wedding that way and it could easily be mistaken for an accidental choking and thus no suspicion would arise for any assassination attempt in the first place. The poisoner clearly miscalculated (or failed to calculate it at all) the Cersei/Tyrion dynamic.

Doing it before the consummation assures Joffrey doesn't get to spread his evil seed, and it also keeps Margaery pure and just as elligible to be wed again. If she could go from Renley to Joffrey, why not to Tommen as well ? Granted, its not a flattering trend to be widowed from 2 kings before moving on to your 3rd...

Oberyn is super Bi, not just gay. I took his portrayal on the show to emphasize his boldness, taking whatever he wants if he so desires it, and becomes something of a microcosm of Dornish nature, because the books otherwise tell us very little about him or the Dornish
and thus when he volunteers to fight as Tyrion's champion, it doesn't seem as out of the blue
. And if you didn't read him as being as old as he is, you should probably go back and reread, as he's definitely of the same generation as Ned/Robert/Jaime, and seems to fit that perfectly...

yeah, makes me wonder if they thought or cared to check parentage of auditioning younger actors; Sansa (Sophie Turner) and Arya (Maisie Williams) are actually pretty close in age (closer than their characters are supposed to be) but Sansa is turning out to be more of a Brienne when she's supposed to be much more of a dainty girl

at any rate, Hodor was never fit enough to begin with to fulfill our MasterBlaster type setup with carrying Bran in a basket on his back, so not too big a loss.

Iron Bank of Bravos, one of the free cities across the sea. Just have to picture Westeros as sort of analogous to Great Britain, while mainland 'Europe' (known as Essos) is where Danny has been trouncing around, currently sacking slave cities in the south. Basically, Westeros isn't all that powerful in the grand scheme of things, and the Iron Bank has major weight the greater known world.

Last edited:

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Iron Bank of Bravos, one of the free cities across the sea. Just have to picture Westeros as sort of analogous to Great Britain, while mainland 'Europe' (known as Essos) is where Danny has been trouncing around, currently sacking slave cities in the south. Basically, Westeros isn't all that powerful in the grand scheme of things, and the Iron Bank has major weight the greater known world.

I never gleamed that from watching the show. The writing feels quite cheap sometimes by just leaving out major pieces of info that should be sort of obvious to include.

Feb 6, 2007
I never gleamed that from watching the show. The writing feels quite cheap sometimes by just leaving out major pieces of info that should be sort of obvious to include.

That is one of the things that's included in the Blu-ray sets (and I'm assuming the DVDs); you get maps and all sorts of background info. I haven't waded through any of the background stuff (if a story is told right, I shouldn't need an encyclopedia to piece it together), but the maps are great. They certainly focus on Westeros since that's where 95% of the show takes place, but the fact that Daenerys has moved from the Dothraki lands through the Red Waste to Qarth, then to Astapor and Yunkai, and now she's marching towards Meereen, shows just how vast the area is outside of Westeros. It's definitely analogous to the UK and continental Europe; a lot happens in the UK, but it's very small in comparison to the rest of Europe.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
It's definitely analogous to the UK and continental Europe; a lot happens in the UK, but it's very small in comparison to the rest of Europe.

2973937-westeros-01.jpg

Westeros is smaller than Essos, but hardly UK to mainland Europe.

Feb 6, 2007
2973937-westeros-01.jpg

Westeros is smaller than Essos, but hardly UK to mainland Europe.

OK, it's not quite the difference between the UK and continental Europe, but the show has shown us very little of the Vale and absolutely nothing of Dorne, not to mention little of the Western Reach (such as Casterly Rock), so the story we follow in Westeros takes place in a relatively compact area (compared to Daenerys who's basically done the equivalent of circling Westeros, ignoring the area North of the wall).

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Quick question. I've been rewatching season 1 and I was wondering; Did the witch deliberately infect Drogo's wound after he got knicked in a duel to make him sick in the first place? I can't be sure if the Witch only sabotaged his "recovery", or if she poisoned the wound in the first place.

I always had the impression that the poultice was at least a half hearted attempt to heal Drogo. The witch didn't purposely deceive Danaerys until she implied that the horse would fuel the blood magic when she intended the kid to be sacrificed all along.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
OK, it's not quite the difference between the UK and continental Europe, but the show has shown us very little of the Vale and absolutely nothing of Dorne, not to mention little of the Western Reach (such as Casterly Rock), so the story we follow in Westeros takes place in a relatively compact area (compared to Daenerys who's basically done the equivalent of circling Westeros, ignoring the area North of the wall).
Funny I saw Dorne on there.

Oh you mean in the show, that would be a spoiler.

Last edited:

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
This is not a spoiler but just an observation about differences between the books.

If I remember correctly joffrey was an even bigger prick to tyrion at the wedding and tyrion was far more mouthy because he was completely wasted. I wish they would have put that in the show. Also, oberyn was not as mega gay as he is in the show. I find it super annoying that he is because it just seems like a play at being controversial and appealing to gay viewers. It comes off as over the top and offensive to gay viewers if you ask me. Maybe a gay person would disagree with me, but that's my opinion. He's like this stereotype of a gay rapist and it just doesn't gel with his character in the book. He's also older than I imagined from the book.

They've changed a lot. An incredible lot. The wedding needed to be changed though since what happens in the book would have either required lame CGI or a huge problem with PETA. :D

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
I don't recall how much they have mentioned it but it's ran from Braavos in another part of the GoT world.

OMG PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS! YOU HAVE RUINED THE WHOLE SHOW!

Sorry, but I'm still trying to catch up and so far I have had to sort through like 90 posts of a few people yelling at each other about non-existent spoilers, them reading spoiler tags, spoiler tags being edited, talking about the previews, how snobby people are who read books, etc. It's getting old...

Joffrey dies in book 3, written in 14 years ago. So here's some real spoilers: Dracula is a vampire and Darth Vadar is Luke's father. Now calm down.

We have this happen in EVERY TV show thread. How about we have two? One for people who have read the books and one for those who haven't? Using the discussion about the books is not appropriate.

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Here's an idea. If you like the show, RTFB. Its even better and actually makes the show better. If reading is too much for you...then stop reading the forum

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Here's an idea. If you like the show, RTFB. Its even better and actually makes the show better. If reading is too much for you...then stop reading the forum

How about you go post in the book thread and leave the TV thread alone. If I wanted to read the fucking books, I would, but I have no desire to do so and that does not give you, or anyone else, the right be an asshole and ruin the show in A THREAD ABOUT THE SHOW for the rest of us. I really do not get why this is so hard for some people to understand.

KT

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I was under the impression that you poison someone at a wedding that way and it could easily be mistaken for an accidental choking and thus no suspicion would arise for any assassination attempt in the first place. The poisoner clearly miscalculated (or failed to calculate it at all) the Cersei/Tyrion dynamic.

Yeah I originally thought that was what was happening, but then it went from a simple choking to looking like a poisoning; I thought there were more subtle poisons around than that. :hmm:

Oberyn is super Bi, not just gay. I took his portrayal on the show to emphasize his boldness, taking whatever he wants if he so desires it, and becomes something of a microcosm of Dornish nature, because the books otherwise tell us very little about him or the Dornish
and thus when he volunteers to fight as Tyrion's champion, it doesn't seem as out of the blue
. And if you didn't read him as being as old as he is, you should probably go back and reread, as he's definitely of the same generation as Ned/Robert/Jaime, and seems to fit that perfectly...

From the show alone I take Oberyn as bi and just sexually adventurous not leaning one way or the other. The way they are portraying his character works for me.

KT

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
How about you go post in the book thread and leave the TV thread alone. If I wanted to read the fucking books, I would, but I have no desire to do so and that does not give you, or anyone else, the right be an asshole and ruin the show in A THREAD ABOUT THE SHOW for the rest of us. I really do not get why this is so hard for some people to understand.

KT

x100. If you want to talk about the books, join the book thread and talk about it there. Stop comparing and discussing the books here though as this is not the appropriate place and asshats keep spoiling the suspense.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Quick question. I've been rewatching season 1 and I was wondering; Did the witch deliberately infect Drogo's wound after he got knicked in a duel to make him sick in the first place? I can't be sure if the Witch only sabotaged his "recovery", or if she poisoned the wound in the first place.

yes it was all deliberate. She had a rather long confrontation with Daenaerys explaining how Drogo murdered her family, burned and raped her village, etc etc...so it was her way of payback.

This is why Daeanaeraerys tied her to the funeral pyre that she used to burn Drogo's body--which she then walked into and hatched her dragons.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I absolutely agree with you about King and whatever little I have read in this genre.

Please feel free to recommend books you have liked ... like you. ..I love writing style...

my favorites are writers like DeLillo, Nabokov, Beckett. especially DeLillo. Anyone with that type of command makes me wet.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Very different.

Game of Thrones takes 4 years to tell the story of 1 year.

Vikings let the passage of 4 years take place with the snap of a finger early on in the 2nd season.

Vikings don't take the time to tell a story, they do a quick presentation of what is happening, then they move on to something new. To me it comes across as very disjointed.

I watch Game of Thrones because I want to see how the different characters move forward and deal with their situations and how they interact with everyone else. I watch Vikings in the hope that the show will eventually provide something engaging to follow from one week to the next.

Are you sure GoT is 1 year? even within the first couple of episodes of season 1, they talk about the months-long journey to King's Landing. Robert and Ned are actually on the road for that time, or so we are to think (even though there is some Jack Bauer 24esque time travel when he hops back to Winterfell after Bran falls or whatever it was that brought him back briefly)

Have the dragons really grown that quickly? Is Daeaarnyeis really marching and saccing all of those cities within the span of one year?

I don't think so...

Oh--I like the Vikings show, well 5 episodes so far, anyway. It's quite a bit different, but also more or less historical, so it has that going for it.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
Are you sure GoT is 1 year? even within the first couple of episodes of season 1, they talk about the months-long journey to King's Landing. Robert and Ned are actually on the road for that time, or so we are to think (even though there is some Jack Bauer 24esque time travel when he hops back to Winterfell after Bran falls or whatever it was that brought him back briefly)

Have the dragons really grown that quickly? Is Daeaarnyeis really marching and saccing all of those cities within the span of one year?

I don't think so...

they're pretty loosey-goosey with time, but jamie clearly says in s04e02 he's been gone a year, as does jon snow in a s04 preview. that's about as clear as time gets on this show.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

horseshit. I like the show. I don't give a rats ass about the books. The writing is shit anyway and I'd rather not waste my time on such drivel.

books and film adaptations are different things. one should never preclude the other.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
they're pretty loosey-goosey with time, but jamie clearly says in s04e02 he's been gone a year, as does jon snow in a s04 preview. that's about as clear as time gets on this show.

that's really weird. When Snow leaves for the Wall it's "months journey." When they march from (Robert) and to (Robert and Ned) King's Landing, its "months journey."

When Bran starts heading for Castle Black, it is some months away, no? ANd Snow has already been at The Wall, Ned at KL, well before shit hits the fan at Winterfell.

Considering Rob Stark's movements around the North, it seems like quite some time has passed. At the wedding and most recent episodes this "long war" really couldn't have lasted only 3 or 4 months, could it? That doesn't sound very long....

The only way I can see some validity to this being a short time period, is the drawn out parts of season 3, where for 4-5 episodes Rob convenes the same discussion of invading Casterly Rock over and over and over again....and then sits on his ass and does nothing. If they just decided to drag out that one moment for 5 episodes and show it over, well...fuck the writers for being boring. Otherwise...fuck Rob for waffling and he deserved what he got. :D

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

KT

You're an admin, don't you weild the banhammer? Can you ban people from a specific thread?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Why do you even have to be obscure? Why can't you book nerds just shut the fuck up about things that haven't happened yet?

it is just some kind of complex they have, i'll never get it. the same thing happened in the walking dead thread. and then someone created a thread specifically to discuss the book version, and that didn't get much traffic (very similar to the GoT book thread) so they all came back to the thread about the show and continued to spoil/troll it.

i think they think they are cool or something because they know what is going to happen in the story before us, and they feel powerful when they know they can ruin it for us by telling us what will happen and it gives them a hard on. that is the only thing i can come up with, although i will simply never get it.

EDIT:

i do remember when i was like 15 and Scream came out, i went into aol lobbies and spammed who the killer was. then i would get kicked out and do it again in other lobbies. such an asshole thing to do, but i was 15 at the time and thought it was funny. so maybe they are just 15 year old douchebags who are still on AOL.

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
See what I mean you can be obscure and they still freak out.

I've read the books probably 4-5 times and no, you're not being obscure. You're either not very intelligent and think you're being subtle, or just a douche. Your obscure references are enough for anyone with half a brain to figure out the implications.

The books have been out for fricking ages and there are dedicated GOT forums - why would you even want to discuss it now and here?