Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 212 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
This is not a spoiler but just an observation about differences between the books.

If I remember correctly joffrey was an even bigger prick to tyrion at the wedding and tyrion was far more mouthy because he was completely wasted. I wish they would have put that in the show. Also, oberyn was not as mega gay as he is in the show. I find it super annoying that he is because it just seems like a play at being controversial and appealing to gay viewers. It comes off as over the top and offensive to gay viewers if you ask me. Maybe a gay person would disagree with me, but that's my opinion. He's like this stereotype of a gay rapist and it just doesn't gel with his character in the book. He's also older than I imagined from the book.

I think they mostly get Tyrion's wittiness spot on in the show, but he might have said in the show what was in the books verbatim, about one of the dwarves being mad with lust which landed him the role as the cupbearer, I don't think much was off.

Gay rapist? I don't see that from the scene in the brothel, but yea, I don't think it was the best way to portray his sex drive.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
It comes off as over the top and offensive to gay viewers if you ask me. Maybe a gay person would disagree with me, but that's my opinion. He's like this stereotype of a gay rapist and it just doesn't gel with his character in the book. He's also older than I imagined from the book. VulgarDisplay is online now Report Post

Yeah, they overplay what is more of a rumor or open secret in the books. However, the actor probably isn't too old for the role but may be at the upper age range of the character.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
what happened to the 700 seated guests and more surrounding them? it was closer to 70.

The financial reality of limited budgets for a television show. Also I was rather disappointed by Joffrey's dwarf show because
the absence of one character in the show that Tyrion encounters later in the books

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, they overplay what is more of a rumor or open secret in the books. However, the actor probably isn't too old for the role but may be at the upper age range of the character.

The eldest daughter is pushing 30, so he has to be in his low- to mid-40s.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The financial reality of limited budgets for a television show. Also I was rather disappointed by Joffrey's dwarf show because
the absence of one character in the show that Tyrion encounters later in the books

You don't know that character wasn't there, there were some masked dwarves and I think they would have a very difficult time cutting her out.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Weird hypothesis:

Stannis's daughter is part Targaryn, hence the scales. Either Stannis or his wife has some dragon in them. Which is why most of thier children died (they showed them in the jars for some reason), and the one that survived is slightly freakish.

Remember when Drago/Daenrys child was born, dead, described as lizard-like and scaley?

Also.. when Daenrys crosses over into Westeros, isn't the first spot she is going to hit be Stannis' place?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Weird hypothesis:

Stannis's daughter is part Targaryn, hence the scales. Either Stannis or his wife has some dragon in them. Which is why most of thier children died (they showed them in the jars for some reason), and the one that survived is slightly freakish.

Remember when Drago/Daenrys child was born, dead, described as lizard-like and scaley?

Also.. when Daenrys crosses over into Westeros, isn't the first spot she is going to hit be Stannis' place?

I was thinking that as well. The scales on her face seem quite obvious.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Shireen's face is marred by a disease called greyscale, she wasn't born that way.

Dany's child was a monster because she went into a tent full of demons/black magic (during the "saving" of Drogo) while she was pregnant.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I thought it was a birth defect as well, but looking at the GoT Wiki (tv series only, free of book spoilers) she apparently got it from a disease called 'Greyscale'.

Edit: Oh and the reason the viewers missed this is because it was never explained in the show, as per wiki:

While Shireen Baratheon was introduced in Season 3, no direct explanation was provided for the cause of her disfigurement in on-screen dialogue. It was mentioned in the updated HBO Viewer's Guide.[1]

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
IIRC greyscale was something like a permanent chicken pox in that if contracted as a child it was disfiguring but otherwise harmless but if contracted as an adult it could be deadly.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Sansa also held the goblet when it rolled under the table if it does turn out to be by poison wine. Its possible she had it for herself. She just lost Shae as well so she might have been doubly suicidey.

Every time I write Sansa I think of a small early mp3 device...

I watched that scene again and Tyrion looked directly into the cup after Sansa handed it to him. I doubt that she put anything in it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I watched that scene again and Tyrion looked directly into the cup after Sansa handed it to him. I doubt that she put anything in it.

it would be awesome if they were in on it together. remember they were both trying to get out of there before he keeled over and died.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

I thought it also had wings. I think she was going to give birth to a dragon not a human, and the process just stole the life in her womb, not disfiguring it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the lannisters - main story no. 1. cersei's act is wearing a bit thin, everyone else is great. it's clear qyburn (had to look that up) performs an abortion, but that's immediately followed by her telling jamie "you took too long!" without any context. is she now barren? menopausal? upset she had to screw someone only indirectly related? heading into a rabbit hole?

wait what? where the hell did you infer that from

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Wait, was the wine/goblet poisoned? I thought it was the pigeon pie since the camera focused on the contents for slightly longer than I thought necessary.

Mar 10, 2005
Weird hypothesis:

i saw on a wiki of ice and fire
1 of robert and stannis boratheon's grandparents was targaryen

wait what? where the hell did you infer that from

what other womanly symptoms in need of a discrete solution would be relevant to the story?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wait, was the wine/goblet poisoned? I thought it was the pigeon pie since the camera focused on the contents for slightly longer than I thought necessary.

I thought they were just showing that he killed some birds when he was hacking at the pie.

KT

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Poisoned goblet from the jewel (formerly) in Sansa's necklace, not the pie.

I totally missed that. Did the mother-in-law take the jewel out of Sansa's necklace and put it in the goblet? I don't know how I missed all this. It's possible it happened when my wife came in and started asking questions unrelated to the show.