Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 208 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I just rewatched the episode and it's the pie that was poisoned, not the wine. Oberyn wouldn't mind a bit of collateral damage for a chance to poison all the Lannisters. However, with such a fast-acting poison, chances are that only the first person or maybe a couple will die and the king would definitely be the first to eat.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
I just rewatched the episode and it's the pie that was poisoned, not the wine. Oberyn wouldn't mind a bit of collateral damage for a chance to poison all the Lannisters. However, with such a fast-acting poison, chances are that only the first person or maybe a couple will die and the king would definitely be the first to eat.

You sure? Sure looked like a little flask of something was dropped in the wine right before based on the nod given to Loras right before Jaime talks to him.

My guess is Oberyn poisoned Joffrey. Vengeance against the Lannisters.

That is my thought too.

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
marriage isn't binding until its consummated (part of why the wedding ceremony included the "bedding" so that people got to see for themselves that marriage was consummated), which is a big reason why Tywin has put so much pressure on Tyrion to knock up Sansa and secure the north, as Tyrion refused the bedding.

So yeah, Cersei would have the highest official legal title right now (although whether she has the power is a different argument)

the Lannisters don't have the debt, the Throne does (King Joffrey Baratheon, not Lannister). If the Tyrells took control, Tywin could easily side with the Iron Bank by saying that he would have been able manage the kingdom to a point where the Iron Bank could be repaid, but that the Tyrells messed that all up...

I don't think the Tyrells are dumb enough to take that on, not with Lady Olenna still alive (and Margaery also appears to be rather cunning)

sounds like you just made a solid case for it being a fitting death

Westeros seems to follow the rule of male-preference primogeniture, so it wouldn't be Cersei but her younger son as he is the next in line by virtue of being (officially) a direct legitimate son of Robert Baratheon.

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
You sure? Sure looked like a little flask of something was dropped in the wine right before based on the nod given to Loras right before Jaime talks to him.

That is my thought too.

Loras is just picking a grape or olive that he eats just before Jaime bumps into him. He nods to Oberyn because he fancies him for le butt sex.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

I rewatched the episode and you can see how it happens. Lady Olenna plays with Sansa's hair a bit over halfway through the episode and ends up pulling a gem on of Sansa's neck. They show a clear shot of the necklace missing a gem.

Then right before Joffrey goes to cut the pie, he hands his cup to Margaery and she puts her hand over the top of the cup for a split second covering it as she takes it from him and puts it on the table. Then when Joffrey comes back, he makes Tyrion hand him the cup of wine.

BergeLSU

Apr 6, 2011
This is exactly that way I started these threads, but nobody ever uses the book thread.

Book discussion has slowed down since it has been almost 3 years since the last book was released.

I very much enjoy reading these threads, but I don't get the obsession of book readers to post and 'hint' of future events. The same people are going to be PISSED when the show finishes the story before the books are completed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's called the " Game of Thrones - HBO TV Series thread" for fucks sake. Why all the gd book talk?

it is because all of the book people think they are a special flower because they read the books and want to let the whole world know. same thing happened in the walking dead thread.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Book discussion has slowed down since it has been almost 3 years since the last book was released.

I think its more a case of people who have read the books are being arseholes. They know they are ruining it for people who haven't read the books and that's why. Just to be arseholes.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I don't understand the bitching about spoilers about characters dying, the way the story is going, it safe to say that every main character will die, its just a matter of when and how and who's next. These deaths and killings have lost the awe factor for me, after the death of the Straks at the wedding last season. It was fun to see the "twists" in the beginning but now the dying and killing is getting boring. You know, it was a huge twist in the story if nobody else does this season :D

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
This.

I don't think he's intentionally trolling though. He just simply doesn't have a clue how to post without showing off about how he already knows the story. He just couldn’t help himself.

:thumbsup:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I don't understand the bitching about spoilers about characters dying

Actually, it's not just specific spoilers about a character's death that people are irritated about. It's the dropping of not so subtle hints like responding to a post with something like "oh, if you liked that, just wait until <this event>, it's going to be really good..." and "you think <a character> is going to get what he wants? just you wait!", and about death "oh yeah, he's going to die later. his death will be really satisfying" (the latter being paraphrased from an actual post in this thread).

Even if it has absolutely nothing specific (or even if it's absolutely inaccurate and a complete lie), it took away the enjoyment and elements of surprise about how the story progresses. Some people just don't get that and couldn't help themselves and always feel the need to show off.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Re: Sansa leaving with Dontos at the end of the Wedding.

The Littlefinger/Sansa storyline that should be starting up this season will be exciting, I just felt like it was really epic knowing that Littlefinger had so much going on in King's Landing while he was away.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
After re-watching the wedding I have my money on the old lady.

I would think that if the Tyrells had done it that Olenna at least would be smart enough to wait until after the wedding had been consummated in order to secure their claim on the throne. Then Margaery could claim that she is carrying the heir and at least give the Tyrells a few months to shore up power in Kingslanding and maybe with some work actually get pregnant in a reasonable time frame. If they knew that they were doing this she should have been working on that already.

I don't understand the bitching about spoilers about characters dying, the way the story is going, it safe to say that every main character will die, its just a matter of when and how and who's next. These deaths and killings have lost the awe factor for me, after the death of the Straks at the wedding last season. It was fun to see the "twists" in the beginning but now the dying and killing is getting boring. You know, it was a huge twist in the story if nobody else does this season :D

This is not really just about the shock factor. This is just not the kind of show where the main characters are safe just because they are main characters. If the king is too much of an asshole he will be assassinated just like in real life. Start up a rebellion and the opposition will pay to have you killed. It is shocking only because we are used to a fantasy were everyone but the bad guy gets a happy ending. This show is willing to show us that life is dirty and good guys often are murdered in their sleep.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I would think that if the Tyrells had done it that Olenna at least would be smart enough to wait until after the wedding had been consummated in order to secure their claim on the throne. Then Margaery could claim that she is carrying the heir and at least give the Tyrells a few months to shore up power in Kingslanding and maybe with some work actually get pregnant in a reasonable time frame. If they knew that they were doing this she should have been working on that already.

This is not really just about the shock factor. This is just not the kind of show where the main characters are safe just because they are main characters. If the king is too much of an asshole he will be assassinated just like in real life. Start up a rebellion and the opposition will pay to have you killed. It is shocking only because we are used to a fantasy were everyone but the bad guy gets a happy ending. This show is willing to show us that life is dirty and good guys often are murdered in their sleep.

Hmm... I can't speak to the show, but reading the books was exciting, not boring, because I was so worried for my favorite characters once I picked up on what was going on after Stark and Drogo.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, I agree with the guy that said that Brand and Theon storylines are dumb. They're the least enjoyable parts and always annoy me. Brand is not a likable character at all...he's a sniveling little piece of crap. And, interestingly, so is Theon Daddy-issues.

Osha I like...she was the only thing to make the Brand scenes bearable, but she's gone now.

More focus on Daenerys and the Kings Landing intricacies, plz.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Any talk about the book should result in a Permaban. Even with spoiler tags. Some people here are too stupid to even know when one is needed. So just gtfo

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
So far it seems this season is sticking longer with each storyline longer, which was my main complaint with last season. I would rather not see a storyline for one or even two episodes and then get more of it when its shown.