Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Those aren't even spoilers actually, but won't explain that one either.

:biggrin:

Of course they're spoilers. I don't care about the fucking books.

Nothing beyond episode 1 of season 4 exists yet. How can you not see that very real fact?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Of course they're spoilers. I don't care about the fucking books.

Nothing beyond episode 1 of season 4 exists yet. How can you not see that very real fact?
He's one of the worst, he thinks he isn't spoiling anything so he probably tells everyone just the way he did here. What he doesn't realize is simple statements like "oh, that changes for so and so later in the books". Didn't really give a details but he did just say so and so lives for a while.
His little comment on Shae pretty much tells me she is about to die.

Shit like that.

Did anyone really think Arya was given a sword, named it, is going down a path where she could avenge her family, but wouldn't get the sword back? ;)

Mar 16, 2005
hope the plot with the dragon queen picks up. seems like she's been isolated, walking around, petting dragons, for what seeems like ages.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
hope the plot with the dragon queen picks up. seems like she's been isolated, walking around, petting dragons, for what seeems like ages.

The dragons have to be given time to grow up. She's not going to invade Westeros successfully with 3 babies. Her storyline is a lot of filler compared to what's going on everywhere else, but it's necessary. Danny has to grow up just like the dragons do, so this shows her maturing to someone who maybe could successfully rule the seven kingdoms.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah, it is slow, but I think part of it is necessary--she really can't do anything until those dragons are big enough to be useful.

from watching some of the promo HBO stuff, it seems like most of this season
will be her relegated to managing squabbles and rebellions in the slave cities that she has been conquering.
:\

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Hound: "I understand that if hear any more words come pouring out your c*nt mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room"

Polliver: "You lived your life for the king. You gonna die for some chickens?"

Hound: "Someone is." <table flip>

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hound: "I understand that if hear any more words come pouring out your c*nt mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room"

I really enjoyed their exchanges in that episode. One of the better scenes in the series so far.

Arya: So stealing is not honorable but you've no problem with killing a child?
Hound: A man has to have a code.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I really enjoyed their exchanges in that episode. One of the better scenes in the series so far.

Arya: So stealing is not honorable but you've no problem with killing a child?
Hound: A man has to have a code.

Yep, their scenes pretty much stole this episode. They make such and interesting couple. :biggrin:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
yeah, it is slow, but I think part of it is necessary--she really can't do anything until those dragons are big enough to be useful.

will be her relegated to managing squabbles and rebellions in the slave cities that she has been conquering.

Not sure how much of a spoiler my answer would be, so I went ahead and tagged it.

That all has a point though, as she understands that in order to be a good ruler of Westeros, she has to have some experience actually ruling more than a band of people willing to do anything she wants. That was the point of the exchance with Daarios in the first episode: being someone's salvation only really goes so far. She won't "save" everyone, and has to understand them to rule them. At least, rule them justly.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
It doesn't matter who plays the Mountain in the coming episodes anyway. Getting the cheapest "big man" they could will serve well enough, as I'm sure he will be unrecognizable.

that might be practical, but logic tells me they went with a newbie actor strongman to show off feats of strength. The first two actors were good enough if they just needed a big guy to fill out a costume.

It might be because of acting ability is now a consideration.
Events conspire to have him in a confrontation with a newly introduced character in season 4. A short snippet of that duel was in one of the season 4 trailers

The new Gregor has never acted before, and is shorter than the other two actors...his one redeeming attribute is that he's a legitimate strongman champion (the first Gregor was only a non-competitive bodybuilder). They could easily get one of many big and tall body builder types to do a great job of looking the part, and maybe even do better acting (not that a character like the Mountain is very deep or complex...), however I think its pretty clear (or at least it would be a total waste if they do not) that they're going to use his strongman background to try and emphasize that the Mountain really is supposed to be unequaled in strength throughout the realm.

Did anyone really think Arya was given a sword, named it, is going down a path where she could avenge her family, but wouldn't get the sword back? ;)

Did anyone really think they would go through with beheading Ned, the "main character" in season 1? Oh wait...they did.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The new Gregor has never acted before, and is shorter than the other two actors...his one redeeming attribute is that he's a legitimate strongman champion (the first Gregor was only a non-competitive bodybuilder).

Interesting, but the Mountain being the character he isn't likely to have too many lines but maybe the writers picked the strongest man with the best delivery of those lines in a reading.

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Yep, their scenes pretty much stole this episode. They make such and interesting couple. :biggrin:
For sure, even last season had some wonderful exchanges.

The whole "I know fear" back and forth ending with Arya saying she would run a sword through his eye and out the back of his head. :D

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Did anyone really think they would go through with beheading Ned, the "main character" in season 1? Oh wait...they did.
I did! I was randomly watching TV and thought I'd give the show a spin. It was Season 1 Balor episode, I caught the last 20 minutes. :p

Basically I was introduced to the show with his beheading.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
He was in Season 2, we see him at Harrenhal (the giant, ruined castle) where he is in charge of all the Lannister men until Tywin shows up

it was originally Conan Stevens (7' tall) who played Ser Gregor (the Mountain) in Season 1, then they recast to Ian Whyte (7'1" tall), but now we have Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (only 6'9" tall) in the role, and I can only assume they decided to go this direction (ie a shorter actor for the role of a character that is supposed to be closer to 8 feet tall :p ... although he weighs nearly as much as the Mountain is supposed to...) because he's an Icelandic 'strongman' and likely is a better choice for any action he may or may not be involved in :sneaky:

People speak of height too much. On a movie set they can easily make Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson look 8' tall. The previous actors I doubt weighed anywhere near 420lbs (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is 419lbs since the original is in Stones, it's the same). I bet this dude can use a 2H Sword single handedly.

Most people have no understanding how big a guy like this is. I am sure there are some 150-170lb bro's that are really cut saying they'd have such a 'slow ass' dude in a choke in no time. Keep in mind The Rock is like 6'5" and only 260lbs. This guy only has 4" on him and weighs in at 419lbs. I would assume his 'cut' equal to The Rock would come in at still around 360-375lbs. Fucker is packing some major muscle. The only risk is it's his first acting role.

tumblr_muffdxeoXF1qis07wo1_500.jpg

1656326_482345388536741_1716940932_n.jpg

9801.imgcache.jpg

468px-Game_of_thrones_season_4_mountain_gregor_clegane.png

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

It's a spoiler bro.

However; it was much slower than that. He gave that tool an option to just bring them some chicken.

Chicken is serious business when you have major muscle to feed. Don't forget the ale.

Ultimately, the most brutal in that situation was not the Hound. Little Arya with her Needle and some other steel proves, don't always judge a book by it's cover.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
It's a spoiler bro.

However; it was much slower than that. He gave that tool an option to just bring them some chicken.

Chicken is serious business when you have major muscle to feed. Don't forget the ale.

Ultimately, the most brutal in that situation was not the Hound. Little Arya with her Needle and some other steel proves, don't always judge a book by it's cover.

It's not a spoiler sis. :colbert:

The show already aired.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
This. Discussing events in the show that have already aired is fine IMO. If you didn't watch the most recent episode, you shouldn't be in the thread the day after.

Agreed.

I loved the discussion of naming her sword. "Lot's of people name their sword". "Only cunts". :D

KT

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
This. Discussing events in the show that have already aired is fine IMO. If you didn't watch the most recent episode, you shouldn't be in the thread the day after.

subscriptions, you dolts...

Personally, I don't care I know the story; but you idiots like to play bad ass online.

I watch like 2 hours of TV each week: The Black List and now Game of Thrones.

Were you those fuckers that spammed the Social Media sites that "Dumbledore Dies!"

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010

The dragons have to be given time to grow up. She's not going to invade Westeros successfully with 3 babies. Her storyline is a lot of filler compared to what's going on everywhere else, but it's necessary. Danny has to grow up just like the dragons do, so this shows her maturing to someone who maybe could successfully rule the seven kingdoms.

I've read the books, but I'm answering as if I haven't (in other words, my thoughts halfway through the third book). I don't believe there are any spoilers below, but I've tagged it just in case anyone feels especially paranoid:

You have to remember that GRRM loves upsetting the normal fantasy stereotypes. There's no way that she could just be a messiah, have everyone follow her, and smoothly bring her giant ex-slave army in to conquer Westeros. Some part of the trope must, almost by definition of being a Game of Thrones character, be turned completely on its head.

Last edited: