Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 172 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Don't think anything much was changed, just that people who read the book would understand the significance of the food being offered to Robb and Catelyn. I don't think GOT needs a primer about westerosi customs for the audience to understand that murdering guests during a wedding is a highly treacherous act.
Yeah, they dropped the ball a little on that one, what's the point in including the scene but not explaining the significance?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Everyone isn't in an episode, until they are. :hmm:

They were basically going through all the plot arcs and her's was last, someone had to be last.

edit: Her plot arcs are often towards the end of the show unless that episode is centered on her.

er, yeah... I guess it's just that she seems to set apart from everything else that's going on in the show, it seems weird to end on that note instead of something more Westeros-centric like Stannis setting off for the Wall or something.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Frey saw that the south was winning the war and made a deal to join the winning side before it was too late.

By appearances then, he'd have chosen the North since they had won every battle. He knew, however, that betting against Tywin Lannister is a terrible idea.

Yeah, they dropped the ball a little on that one, what's the point in including the scene but not explaining the significance?

book spoilers:
There's foreshadowing in that story, particularly the bits about karma for mistreating guests and pie....tasty tasty....pie.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
By appearances then, he'd have chosen the North since they had won every battle. He knew, however, that betting against Tywin Lannister is a terrible idea.

That and the Lannisters promised him money and increased rank, whereas the North had betrayed its oath to him and offered him a consolation prize at best.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
er, yeah... I guess it's just that she seems to set apart from everything else that's going on in the show, it seems weird to end on that note instead of something more Westeros-centric like Stannis setting off for the Wall or something.
I think that's the very reason she's usually last.

book spoilers:
There's foreshadowing in that story, particularly the bits about karma for mistreating guests and pie....tasty tasty....pie.
That was in last night's episode.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Just finished watching season 3...
I though Joffrey was killed at the of 3rd, no? was it 4th? or maybe beginning of 4th?

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008

stealing this from another thread

GoT S1 started with ice, ended with fire

GoT S2 started with fire, ended with ice

GoT S3 started with ice, ended with fire

book name is A Song of Fire and Ice

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I though Joffrey was killed at the of 3rd, no? was it 4th? or maybe beginning of 4th?

Season 3 only covered ~ 1/2 of book 3. Expect the Purple Wedding to happen somewhere towards the beginning of season 4.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I had no idea about any importance of killing them as guests more than any other time until seeing the 'salt' book spoiler here and then the later scene about how bad it was.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Someone has to have a mash-up / overdub of the "dick in a box" song with that scene from last night...

So disappointed that no one in this thread delivered. #sadpanda

Here's a pretty pathetic effort:

tumblr_mo725bzYBI1r3xo1qo1_r1_500.gif

Clearly the theme of the episode was to set the stage for next season. For many of the characters it was about the choices they made.

Shae decided to stick with Tyrion. Arya decided to seek revenge. Bran decided to continue his journey. Threons sister decided to go get him back. Stannis decided to go to war against the Walkers, etc, etc.

Ooh, and nary a naked boobie in sight.

Yep. Thatw as actually well done, with one exception...

The finale overall was decent, but I thought it had a weak ending scene. A shot of danny being admired by he people she freed doesn't really leave me wanting to see what happens next season.

IMO as a non-reader, a more effective end would have been the Stannis scene. Have it cut to all the other lords reading the same message while Stannis is reading it, then end the show with Melisandre burning the note and starring speechlessly into the fire and Stannis asking "what do you see?" In the background.

That wouldve made me want to watch season 4.

Yes. I thought the same thing as well, though what I expected was an introduction of
Lady S
a la Michonne at the end of Season 2 of Walking Dead. Really surprised the GoT producers missed that opportunity after seeing how much play Michonne got between seasons...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

REALLY should've labeled that as a "book spoiler" so that other people who also "Just finished watching season 3..." wouldn't think there's no problem reading it. :colbert:

Dammit.

Last edited:

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
REALLY should've labeled that as a "book spoiler" so that other people who also "Just finished watching season 3..." wouldn't think there's no problem reading it. :colbert:

Dammit.

All spoilers are book spoilers. Otherwise it wouldn't be a spoiler at all. That sucks that it got spoiled for you though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
All spoilers are book spoilers. Otherwise it wouldn't be a spoiler at all. That sucks that it got spoiled for you though.

Of course. That's why it doesn't mean "Spoiler of the book." It means "Spoiler from the book" or "Spoiler by way of the book." No one would think that something spoils the book but not the show because that's not a reasonable assumption. I think "book spoiler" is a simple and well-understood warning and we are more likely to get such warnings if they are kept short. Just like I'm not asking for a paragraph, two words is simpler than three ("spoiler from book") and much more likely to get used.

With this thread having both series and book spoilers, there is a clear need to label them appropriately. The unspoilered line in that post actually seems to invite anyone who's seen the series up to that point to read it, so it's a perfect example.

Last edited:

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
What I am saying is that just about all spoilers in this thread are spoilers from the books that have not been on the show yet. Once the show airs, there is no longer a need for spoiler tags.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
What I am saying is that just about all spoilers in this thread are spoilers from the books that have not been on the show yet. Once the show airs, there is no longer a need for spoiler tags.

Unless you haven't watched the latest episode yet, which is the case extremely often and is exactly how his spoiler was presented. That's why we need a label.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
back in season 1 or 2 some tried to label things as book or show spoiler, it didn't stay though. And when you say unless you haven't watched the episode, many times things that are happening in the episode are posted here as it is shown live with no spoilers.

If you haven't watched the most recent show, you shouldn't be on this thread. And if you haven't read the books, you should assume all spoiler posts are actual spoilers for the show.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Unless you haven't watched the latest episode yet, which is the case extremely often and is exactly how his spoiler was presented. That's why we need a label.

If you haven't watched the latest episode, why are you in the thread where people discuss what happened in the show?

Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father!

Would you really have me put that in spoiler tags? The rule of thumb is once it airs, anything that happens in the show is fair game. People on the west coast know to avoid this thread just before the show airs because of the spoilers coming from the east.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Ehh people always complain when they come in these types of threads and cry because they haven't watched the latest episodes so just ignore the trolls.