Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
They did conquer. Harrenhal was destroyed by dragons during their conquest. In their conquest, they also roasted the lords tried to stop them at the Field of Fire where they unleashed all three dragons. I think both events were mentioned in the show.

The Harrens were wiped out to be replaced by the Tullys in the Riverlands and the Greyjoys in the Iron Islands. The Gardeners were wiped out and replaced by the Tyrells. Durrendons were also wiped out and replaced by the Baratheons.
I don't think the field of fire is mentioned in the show, but Harrenhal is mentioned several times.

Tywin: Do you know what happened here?
Arya: Dragons, dragons happened here.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Speaking of the dragons, people killed dragons once. Any reason they couldn't do it again?

I don't think any dragons were killed by men. There was a Targaryen civil war, called the Dance of Dragons, during which most of the dragons killed each other. Then they slowly died off as they were born weaker and more frail. The suspect cause of that is that the Targaryen's used to "cage" them in giant domes. Some believe that stunted their growth as opposed to being left to roam free.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The finale overall was decent, but I thought it had a weak ending scene. A shot of danny being admired by he people she freed doesn't really leave me wanting to see what happens next season.

IMO as a non-reader, a more effective end would have been the Stannis scene. Have it cut to all the other lords reading the same message while Stannis is reading it, then end the show with Melisandre burning the note and starring speechlessly into the fire and Stannis asking "what do you see?" In the background.

That wouldve made me want to watch season 4.

how about this:
dany is now in charge of the city.
after the celebration, it goes to night and focuses on one of her soldiers guarding something. then someone w/a mask slits that soldiers throat and draws a pic near the body. fade to multiple dead bodies and multiple pics throughout the city.. then fade to black

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
how about this:
after the celebration, it goes to night and focuses on one of her soldiers guarding something. then someone w/a mask slits that soldiers throat and draws a pic near the body. fade to multiple dead bodies and multiple pics throughout the city.. then fade to black

How about Dany stubs her toe on something in the desert, uncovers a mysterious hatch, then she looks up and sees a polar bear running at her.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
It seems like they are merging Meereen and Yunkai?
Makes some sense I suppose being as she doesn't have boats...But it also complicates things. No slave children nailed to posts on the march to Meereen, Yunkai is supposed to be known for pleasure slaves not pit fighters, and they are supposed to be the ones who field a vast army of slaves and sell swords with help from slavers from the surrounding areas to retake Astapore and Meereen, something they were able to do in the books because they released their slaves and Dany spared their city and the bulk of their wealth. Ripples from Qarth changes will start being felt pretty soon as well.

Dany's story line is definitely the most altered in the show.

Last edited:

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
What specifically points towards you thinking they've merged Yunkai + Meereen? As it stands now, it still seems like this was just Yunkai with Meereen to come in S4.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
How about Dany stubs her toe on something in the desert, uncovers a mysterious hatch, then she looks up and sees a polar bear running at her.

then she whips out her 9mm and empties the clip?
would make a cool Tv show. contact ABC! just dont blow the series finale 6yrs later...

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
They did conquer. Harrenhal was destroyed by dragons during their conquest. In their conquest, they also roasted the lords tried to stop them at the Field of Fire where they unleashed all three dragons. I think both events were mentioned in the show.

The Harrens were wiped out to be replaced by the Tullys in the Riverlands and the Greyjoys in the Iron Islands. The Gardeners were wiped out and replaced by the Tyrells. Durrendons were also wiped out and replaced by the Baratheons.

OK. I thought what happened there was a subdued rebellion.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
how about this:

Yeah, that would've been better than the crowd surfing thing. How much later on in the book does that happen? Maybe they didn't want to skip too far ahead.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
What specifically points towards you thinking they've merged Yunkai + Meereen? As it stands now, it still seems like this was just Yunkai with Meereen to come in S4.

Yeah, I see no implication that the cities will be merged. It's doable though and maybe they should, just to save screen time.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I think Walder Frey will end up the King.

Yeah, well, I like pie.

Honestly, though, that would be the most hilarious and disappointing conclusion to the War of the Five Kings ever.

Did you miss the blatant foreshadowing with the rat story from the last episode?

This is George R.R. Martin we're talking about. He kills a Stark every time he sneezes. This would be his ultimate trick!

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Battle_of_Yunkai

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Siege_of_Meereen

Perhaps, I hope so. Jorah, Grey Worm and Daario entering the city seemed like an adaptation of Jorah, Selmy and Belwas infiltrating through the sewers of Meereen, and Yunkai never had it's walls breached. In the books they surrendered after the second sons and stormcrows were lost to them and agreed to the original terms of releasing all of the slaves with as much goods as they could carry in exchange for continuing to rule their city in peace and not being sacked...

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Battle_of_Yunkai

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Siege_of_Meereen

Perhaps, I hope so. Jorah, Grey Worm and Daario entering the city seemed like an adaptation of Jorah, Selmy and Belwas infiltrating through the sewers of Meereen, and Yunkai never had it's walls breached. In the books they surrendered after the second sons and stormcrows were lost to them and agreed to the original terms of releasing all of the slaves with as much goods as they could carry in exchange for continuing to rule their city in peace and not being sacked...

Interesting, good observations. I definitely forgot that Yunkai wasn't actually taken by force.