Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 153 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Robb is a 15 year old and he fucks up just like any 15 year old would. Walder Frey is an old bitter man and he saw an opportunity. There's a lot of this going on and some of it even predates the books. During the battle of the Trident and the fight for Robert's crown there were lots of people who suddenly switched sides at the end once they realized that the Baratheons were winning. What made Robert a good king was that he forgave them.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Ya that was a pretty intense episode. I had JUST read the chapter of the red wedding a day or two before last nights episode and was completely shocked afterward.

I was still shocked even after knowing what was going to happen while watching it though. I think the murder of Jane is what made me "OMFGWTFBBQ!" the most. I did NOT see that coming.

Edit: Also, I was expecting the wildling/old man scene to go different.

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah the woman that Robb marries in the book is Jeyne Westerling. The girl he marries in the show is a Volantis girl named Talisa.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I thought her name was Jane?

I just looked it up, I misspelled her name.

Jeyne

He is referring to the fact that the show has changed her character's name to Talisa for some reason. they just replaced Jeyne with Talisa.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
No they did more than that. Robb married a field medic from Volantis in the show. In the book he married a girl from the Crag from an old noble family. He slept with her while upset about Bran and married her to save her honor.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Haha, the amount of rage regarding GoT online is massive, and somewhat hilarious. I read the first couple of books and came to the conclusion that Martin is probably the biggest troll in the history of literature, and stopped watching the show after the first season, just decided to read all the summaries of the books. It all seems completely pointless, although Tyrion is fantastic both in the books and in the show. The show is definitely a lot more compressed, so much is left out that it's more of a summary in itself.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong and the final book will be the payoff of all payoffs, but somehow I doubt it. It will probably be another pointless bunch of relative nonsense, written well by a skilled troll.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
Haha, the amount of rage regarding GoT online is massive, and somewhat hilarious. I read the first couple of books and came to the conclusion that Martin is probably the biggest troll in the history of literature, and stopped watching the show after the first season, just decided to read all the summaries of the books. It all seems completely pointless, although Tyrion is fantastic both in the books and in the show. The show is definitely a lot more compressed, so much is left out that it's more of a summary in itself.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong and the final book will be the payoff of all payoffs, but somehow I doubt it. It will probably be another pointless bunch of relative nonsense, written well by a skilled troll.

"You got a favorite character? Not anymore!" GRRM

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
My favorite part is when the doors closed and the band started playing The Rains of Castamere and the look of shock and confusion on Catelyn's face

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I wonder how he is going to kill off Tyrion eventually...
He left us with a cliffhanger once where we thought he may have died in the books.. I wonder how the show will handle that :D

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
"You got a favorite character? Not anymore!" GRRM

Hahah, so much truth.

It wouldn't bother me if there seemed to be a general point to it all, but maybe that's his point, that realism (even with magic powers and whatnot) doesn't allow for a typical flow of heroes and victories. As a result, it just seems like a bunch of pointless chaos much like real life. It would bother me less if it weren't so well written.

At the very least, he did create Tyrion, one of the best characters in literary history, so there's always that. I'm sure he'll die horribly soon into the next novel, but that's Trololo master Martin for ya :)

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
My favorite part is when the doors closed and the band started playing The Rains of Castamere and the look of shock and confusion on Catelyn's face

Even knowing what was about to happen in the next moments, that still gave me goosebumps and chills up my spine.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
6a013485644be2970c015434033709970c-800wi

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
The show really likes to have episode 9 be the main event.

Season 1 episode 9 was the execution of Ned Stark
Season 2 episode 9 was the battle of the blackwater
Season 3 episode 9 was the Red Wedding

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I wonder how he is going to kill off Tyrion eventually...

I don't see it happening. I have always felt that Martin was never going to let Tyrion die, and it got quite annoying because reading the books
you could feel he was the one invincible character, no matter what he goes through or ends up in he comes out a-okay

I will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
The show really likes to have episode 9 be the main event.

Season 1 episode 9 was the execution of Ned Stark
Season 2 episode 9 was the battle of the blackwater
Season 3 episode 9 was the Red Wedding
Season 4 episode 9 will be Joffrey's Wedding

ftfy

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I don't see it happening. I have always felt that Martin was never going to let Tyrion die, and it got quite annoying because reading the books
you could feel he was the one invincible character, no matter what he goes through or ends up in he comes out a-okay

I will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

The thing with Tyrion is that I don't feel like the story would fall apart without him. I'm on the 4th book and maybe he becomes a real power at some point, but for now losing him doesn't demonstrably shift the balance of power. Martin may keep him in the end, but Tyrion's dispensable the instant Martin gets bored with him.

I don't see Daenerys dying any time soon, for example, because her dragons' deaths would mean the end of all magic in the realm.