Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Just finished the 3rd. It's my favorite, so far. I kind of skimmed the Catelyn storyline because I learned a spoiler... Though I did read the spoiler chapter, heh.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Books 4 and 5 are concurrent timelines. However, Theon's torture is all told through memories of past events in the books, so it's valid for his story to unfold in real time like this.

I wonder how far they're going to go on TV with his mutilation. I hope they don't hold back showing what a twisted fuck Ramsay is.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Will be interesting to see how Jaime and Briennes story changes since Vargo Hoat and the mummers aren't around.

How are they going to have him lose his hand? It can't be from the Boltons since Roose was so pissed when he found out the Mummers did it.

And what was up with Catelyn's sudden sympathy for Jon? That was nowhere in the books that I recall. In fact she was very consistent in her loathing for him.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
And what was up with Catelyn's sudden sympathy for Jon? That was nowhere in the books that I recall. In fact she was very consistent in her loathing for him.

She's not sympathetic. When he gets sick with the pox after her praying for his death, she realizes how horrible that is. So she prays for him to be healed and if the gods do it that she'll love him as her own. But she never can love him and always treats him as an outsider. So now she wonders if the state of her family is the gods getting back at her for breaking her promise to them.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I wonder how far they're going to go on TV with his mutilation. I hope they don't hold back showing what a twisted fuck Ramsay is.

Who? Heh.. I'm willing to bet TV show viewers don't even know who has Theon, or why Winterfell was burned.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
they showed winterfel burning at the end of last season as well as theon being left there

His men knocked him over the head. Explanations of what followed simply do not exist. Who burned it? Who has Theon now? Us book readers know, but the TV show lacks answers.

Thus far Ramsay Bolton is just a name briefly mentioned in season2. Actually, was his name ever mentioned? His father mentioned a "bastard".

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
ive read the books i know what actually happens. last ep they tell you that theon burned it, which is obviously false for anyone who watched it, who has him will most liklely get revealed in the next cpl eps, its not exactly important to know right now. not letting people know builds the suspense for those just watching the show wondering WTF is going on with him

as for his foot, i assumed the blood was from the drill going in, simply crushing it would not cause it to bubble out like that

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
who's the worst of the worst?

idiot john snow
idiot theon
idiot princess sansa

How is this even a question? Theon doesn't have a single redeeming quality. At least Sansa and John Snow are easy on the eyes.

You guys realize that they're children, right?

I read Ender's Shadow, a retelling of Ender's game from his friend's pov, a couple years ago, after reading the original in middle school, and I was struck by how unbelievable I found it that these kids would be used for space battles. It really seemed more like a young adult book than a sci fi series for adults.

Children make really stupid decisions, so why wouldn't the children in this series do the same?

Last edited:

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Why is Jon an idiot?

Robb is the stupidest of them all, with sansa and theon behind him.

^^ This. Jon pretty much is the smartest of the bunch.

Robb is stupid for marrying that woman and causing the entire alliance of the North to get messed up by upsetting the Freys. Sansa is stupid for turning in her own father to the queen. Theon is stupid for following his dumbass dad who ends up dying anyways by falling off a bridge.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
She's not sympathetic. When he gets sick with the pox after her praying for his death, she realizes how horrible that is. So she prays for him to be healed and if the gods do it that she'll love him as her own. But she never can love him and always treats him as an outsider. So now she wonders if the state of her family is the gods getting back at her for breaking her promise to them.

I don't recall that tidbit from the books, but it's been a couple years since I reread them.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I didn't really like this episode either.

I thought it was much better than the first. Especially the Brienne/Jaime fight. Even thought it's different than the books, I loved how she was pretty much just messing with him the whole time.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I thought it was much better than the first. Especially the Brienne/Jaime fight. Even thought it's different than the books, I loved how she was pretty much just messing with him the whole time.

Between Reeds' introduction, the scene with the Queen of Thorns, and Jaime's and Brienne's fight, I thought the episode was great.

Keep in mind Jaime is supposed to be one of, if not the best swordsman in Westeros. However (explained in greater detail in the books, less so in the show) not only is he shackled, but he's supposed to be very emaciated and weak from his imprisonment.