Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 119 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
According to Wikipedia, it's 4,273 pages for all five books. If you average a page a minute, that's just over 71 hours. So it's certainly possible, but it would have to take the place of basically all your normal day-to-day activities.

So, no, you won't be able to.

You only read one page a minute?

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
i'm planning to read all the books in 1 week. think it's possible?

I read the first in a week. Took me a few weeks to read the 2nd. Took me 2 days to read the 3rd. Took me like 5 months to read the 4th (which I found mostly boring) and the 5th (which I think is better than the 4th).

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Count me among those who were not disappointed in the opening episode. A LOT happened that needed to happen, this is going to be a busy season with chaotic events taking place all over that world. There had to be a little set-up to put everything in context and set the stage for the bigger things to follow. If you know the story and have an idea of where this is heading all those scenes were important. Nothing lagged and nothing superfluous was added.

You only read one page a minute?

Not everyone reads "See Spot Run" books with their lips moving, some of us tackle more challenging material. A page a minute on this series is an overly ambitious pace, I've a very fast reader and can't do that while still managing to keep everything straight.

Last edited:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I cringed as soon as I saw Theon. It hurts just thinking about what is done.

I also loved the scene with Catelyn.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
The season premiere was terrible compared to this episode, phew.

The first episode was totally lost on me, no attachment to the characters at all. This episode reminded me why I like the show though. Its so cinematic and everything came rushing back about where things were left off.

The first episode felt like it was in a rush.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Dang it ended right when it was getting good!!!!! ughhhhhh

Oh man, I know. I was like "Are they gonna do it? Are they gonna do it?" And then credits. Damnit.

I'm watching with my wife that hasn't read the books so I was trying to get some reaction glances but I guess I'll have to wait until next week.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I don't know how they are going to deal with Arya and Bran, I guess they will just keep getting older. It is more noticeable for them since they were younger, but Bran appears to have aged the most in the show.

Rinkon would be worse, but he was barely in the first 2 years.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Interesting episode. Who is torturing Theon? Is he still in Winterfell? Seems they don't want to show what's happening there even though it's supposedly burning down. And all I could think about when they showed that some people can see through animals is Bran being able to control the dragons mentally or something when/if the time comes, maybe that's why he's special, but don't know how the brother/sister combo know that.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Interesting episode. Who is torturing Theon?

who was sent to retake winterfell? what's their sigil? what's theon strapped to :awe:?

edit: hey you can kind of notice it in the pic
2j0ceoh.jpg

are they screwing into theon's foot or are they crushing it?

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I read the first in a week. Took me a few weeks to read the 2nd. Took me 2 days to read the 3rd. Took me like 5 months to read the 4th (which I found mostly boring) and the 5th (which I think is better than the 4th).

I'm about a third of the way through book 4 right now and feel that it really drags it's pace compared with book 3.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Havent watched the episode yet but Theon is shown already? Thats a bummer compared to how it went down in the book.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
you have to remember books 3 and 4 take place at the same time, they are going to be intermingling them so you see everything in time order

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Will be interesting to see how Jaime and Briennes story changes since Vargo Hoat and the mummers aren't around.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
you have to remember books 3 and 4 take place at the same time, they are going to be intermingling them so you see everything in time order

Good point. Still would have been fun to keep Theon off this season and show things next season.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Books 4 and 5 are concurrent timelines. However, Theon's torture is all told through memories of past events in the books, so it's valid for his story to unfold in real time like this.

Like, for instance, this trap he'll be walking into with Ramsay's stooge pretending to help him escape.