Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 117 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
People are impatient.
And, for what it's worth, I really liked the episode. I thought they handled many thing quite well and really set the table for future storylines.

If they jumped right into stuff, there'd be masses bitching about "I'm CONFUSED!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!??!?"

The problem is that's how the story is written, they're going to have to water things down a lot to make it watchable for the masses.

Feb 6, 2007
I guess I'm in the minority, in that I found the Season 3 opener to be excellent. But there hasn't been a single episode yet that's disappointed me in the slightest. We get witty banter from Tyrion, we get an epic tirade from Tywin, we get some good old-fashioned eunuch nipple cleaving... What's not to like?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I guess I'm in the minority, in that I found the Season 3 opener to be excellent. But there hasn't been a single episode yet that's disappointed me in the slightest. We get witty banter from Tyrion, we get an epic tirade from Tywin, we get some good old-fashioned eunuch nipple cleaving... What's not to like?

:thumbsup: *like*

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

This. Even as a someone who's read all the books, I thought it was a great episode. I recognize there have to be reasonable alterations to certain plot details (Sam, Strong Belwas, etc...), but still the episode left me far from disappointed.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
To the people who read the books and are whining all I can say is, too bad.
Making a tv or movie based on a book always requires some changes.
They left Tom Bombadil out of the Lord and of the Rings movies, for instance.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I think so too.

2 seasons for ASOS and 3 seasons for AFFC+ADWD. Gives GRRM 5 years to finish book 6, which will almost certainly happen.

I expect 2 seasons for TWOW if its going to be as large or larger than ASOS. So 7 years total for GRRM to start and complete book 7....and that assumes he sticks to 7 books. Given his pace of writing, there's no way GRRM isn't overtaken by the show.

That would be pretty crazy at 10+ seasons total. HBO doesn't really like to run shows for very long. Entourage, Sopranos, and Tales From the Cryptis are their longest runs for 7 years. Most are much shorter than that.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
That would be pretty crazy at 10+ seasons total. HBO doesn't really like to run shows for very long. Entourage, Sopranos, and Tales From the Cryptis are their longest runs for 7 years. Most are much shorter than that.

Well with GoT being their most successful show ever, I wouldn't be surprised.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

The difference is that with GoT the material is largely already written and the plot defined. You aren't trying to come up with ways to keep plots moving, character development, ect. It's already done. What will hurt them the most over that long of duration is keeping the characters young enough in respect to the timeline of the books.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Based on how well the ratings for this show are, and the fact that GRRM was hired by HBO, theres a very good chance we are going to be on GOT overload (video, print, internet) by the time this show ends. (If you arent already). And this coming from a fan.

PS thought the premier was excellent.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I'm sure HBO has a ton of statistical data on how many new subscribers and current subscribers who sign up or quit HBO due to a hit show like GOT.
I would guess the real value is in new signups so a few years down the road those will drop off as everyone who joined due to GOT will have already done so.

Then they will just keep the show going long enough to get new subscribers used to having HBO before the finish up GOT

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
glad i missed ep1. hate being let down by season openers.

waiting till sparticus series finale next week, then going to start watching GoT ep1-3

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
482762_10201236093450590_447736010_n.jpg

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
One good thing about GoT as a tv schow is that so many of the characters die. That means that there is a lot of turnover for actors and less danger of them all demanding pay raises.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
One good thing about GoT as a tv schow is that so many of the characters die. That means that there is a lot of turnover for actors and less danger of them all demanding pay raises.

I would be really interested to know how many actors in the series have read the whole series of books. Obviously scripts can sort of cliff notes the books but there is something to garnish from reading the originals in their entirety.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Fiancee and I watched the premiere.

After it finished, we both looked at each other and said, "Remember how riveting and addictive first season was?"

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I wanted Dany to tell the army broker dude, "No need for an interpreter next time. I understand your language."

IIRC
she saves that until just before she turns the dragons on them to free the unsullied

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I would be really interested to know how many actors in the series have read the whole series of books. Obviously scripts can sort of cliff notes the books but there is something to garnish from reading the originals in their entirety.

I saw an event where they asked that question of several of them, a few had read their chapters but most hadn't read any.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I saw an event where they asked that question of several of them, a few had read their chapters but most hadn't read any.

Saw that too. IIRC, the guy who plays Jon Snow was pretty much the only actor who'd read all the books.