Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
sYsyI99.png

V2CDdQU.png

A Game of Litterboxes

dinner is coming

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Any members on here recommend either an IOS iphone or IOS ipad app, that I can use as a guide / supplemental reading while reading the books and watching the show?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
With only (supposedly) two books left, he definitely has a lot of loose ends to tie up. My fear is that it'll be impossible to stick to the two-more-books plan.

if that the remaining story will not fit into 2 more books was the only thing to fear I could live with that.... but I don't think it is.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Okay, finally getting into this... Think I'm at season 1, episode 6 by now. Since I won't pay for HBO, guess I'll wait for the Blu-Rays. Oh wait, I don't have a player anymore.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Okay, finally getting into this... Think I'm at season 1, episode 6 by now. Since I won't pay for HBO, guess I'll wait for the Blu-Rays. Oh wait, I don't have a player anymore.

Bought the BDs with Ichinisan and used the digital copies here.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I just marathoned both seasons.

Season one was great. The second had parts I just wanted to ff thru.

I am now ready for season 3. The big question for me is will I watch it weekly or wait to watch the whole season when its over.

Feb 6, 2007
Rome, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Firefly :colbert:

All of those shows are amazing. But Game of Thrones is better than all of them. Band of Brothers was technically a mini-series, so it doesn't count, and Firefly only lasted one season, so it's automatically going to lose to anything that had more than one great season. Rome was only two seasons, so it has a similar longevity issue. Deadwood was great, but it didn't have that whole "holy shit, what did I just see?" vibe going for it that you get with GoT (although the prevalence of the word "beautiful being" was certainly awe-inspiring). Now The Wire? I think you've got a solid argument. But GoT, if it continues on course, by the 4th or 5th season, will be nigh on untouchable.

Incidentally, Firefly, Rome and Deadwood really should have gotten longer runs. What the hell?

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I also wouldn't say it's the greatest TV series in history, even in its genre, at this point. But I agree with a lot of the points above.

Season 2 was a stumbling block for GoT. It was nowhere as interesting or "OMG I can't wait until next week" as Season 1. This is partly due to the overall story, but also has a little to do with the way things in the show were arranged vs the book. Honestly, the battle of black water was a MASSIVE let down for me. They had the opportunity to do something really epic there and they didn't even swing for the fence on it.

Having said that, season 3 will probably be better than season 1 and season 4 will probably be on par.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I am now ready for season 3. The big question for me is will I watch it weekly or wait to watch the whole season when its over.

Watch it weekly, so you can talk about it with everyone else, and less chance to hear spoilers from friends and coworkers.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I predict seasons 3 and 4 will be awesome, based upon my reactions to the 3rd book.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
What other TV shows in the genre of fantasy do you think are better?

How about on the same network? True Blood.

It's only because there's simply more of it at this point. And if I had to judge seasons, I'd probably put GoT S1 above every season of Trie Blood, but I'd probably rank several seasons of TB above GoT S2. The last three have been excellent.

This assumes, of course, that you're using fantasy as a general identifier that encompasses all kinds of fantasy, not specifically "medieval fantasy" which would consist of very few shows. I don't think I'd rank it below legend of the seeker, though that's not a bad show.

But I would normally kind of lump scifi/fantasy together and in that case there's still a lot of shows I'd rather watch than GoT. Like Stargate or something.

This isn't to say GoT is a bad show, because it is by no means not. And someone's "best tv show ever" will never be every bodies unanimous choice. GoT I'd still way up there. If its not in your top 10 at the most, something's wrong. And I'm really expecting seasons 3 and 4 to put this she over the top for me. But I was also really looking forward to the battle of blackwater and that was a bit of a disappointment so I would say I'm simply hopefully optimistic.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Something I do not understand about the last episode of season 2:
Theon Greyjoy
and his less-than-loyal men were holding Winterfell while it was under siege from Northerners. He planned to fight to the death (Alamo-style), but his disloyal men knocked him unconscious. I assumed that they were accepting Robb Stark's offer to let them all go free if they leave and turn-over the traitor, Theon Greyjoy. However, the next scene of Winterfell shows the city in ruins as Bran, Rickon, and company come out of hiding. There isn't a Northerner to be found anywhere. Theon's men burned Winterfell? What did they do about the soldiers outside the wall? I'm confused.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
The logical conclusion would be that
The Bastard of Bolton
did it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu280lSyWKk
If you haven't read the books this will refresh your memory on the father, Roose Bolton.

The Bastard of Bolton was one mean bastard... I wish they had shown the full fight between the Bastard of Bolton's forces and the forces trying to siege winterfell, but they probably ran low on budget money.