Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 105 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I do not think he is who you think he is.

I know many people thought he was Benjen at first, but after ADWD he's obviously not.

Before ADWD, no one who knew Benjen had seen Coldhands. During ADWD Bran spends a lot of time with him, and didn't think he was Benjen. He only had a scarf over his face, not enough to conceal his identity from someone he's related to. A scarf also wouldn't conceal his voice.

One of the children of the forest said that Coldhands died a long time ago. When you consider how old they live, a long time ago to them, would be a very long time ago.

When Coldhands kills his Elk, he says a prayer in a language Bran doesn't recognize, most likely the Old Tongue. That does help rule out Benjen, and makes it more likely that Coldhands is from the distant past.

Coldhands being ancient, does explain why he knows about the Black Gate at the Nightfort, which has been abandoned for 200+ years.

If he was old enough to have fought against the others, it would also makes it likely that he's the one who buried the dragon glass and the Horn of Joramun.

Joramun, the Night's King, or the last hero all seem more likely candidates to be Coldhands than Benjen.

I agree that it's probably the Night's King. The main reasons: he was said to have been wiped out, he was once a commander of the Nights' watch (wears black), the woman who he loved fit the description of one of the others, and he was the 13th commander of the nights watch, which would have been soon after it was built (so he would know about secret tunnels and such). I think the other that he loved resurrected him after he died as a Wight but left him his free will.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Is season 3 just book 3? Or are they throwing in parts of book 4? Is it all of book 3 or are they splitting it into 2 seasons?

I just re-read book 3. Its my favorite in the series I think. So much shit goes down,

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
That would probably be for the best, since book 4 and 5 will need to be merged to some extent and they need to give Martin some time to write another book.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Is season 3 just book 3? Or are they throwing in parts of book 4? Is it all of book 3 or are they splitting it into 2 seasons?

I just re-read book 3. Its my favorite in the series I think. So much shit goes down,

book 3 will be split into seasons 3 and 4.

FYI, HBO is releasing another trailer tomorrow night that is supposed to be a longer version of the one that came out last night.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Fuck waiting, I'm just gonna grab the books on Kindle and read the god damn thing. It's not to say I won't watch the naked boobies on HBO's version when it comes out on HBO Go. Ha.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Fuck waiting, I'm just gonna grab the books on Kindle and read the god damn thing. It's not to say I won't watch the naked boobies on HBO's version when it comes out on HBO Go. Ha.

Or the man love... right? ;)

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
That would probably be for the best, since book 4 and 5 will need to be merged to some extent and they need to give Martin some time to write another book.

Merged in narrative since the timelines are concurrent, but certainly not merged into one season. Since I'd wager there's 4-5 seasons to go until the show catches up, here's hoping GRRM can at least release the 6th book and have the rough outline of the 7th complete.....and stick to his 7 books plan. It sure seems like there's a lot of stuff to wrap up in just two books though. They're gonna have to be as large as book 3, each.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Merged in narrative since the timelines are concurrent, but certainly not merged into one season. Since I'd wager there's 4-5 seasons to go until the show catches up, here's hoping GRRM can at least release the 6th book and have the rough outline of the 7th complete.....and stick to his 7 books plan. It sure seems like there's a lot of stuff to wrap up in just two books though. They're gonna have to be as large as book 3, each.

Hopefully Keanu Reeves is generous to share a tiny sliver of his immortal life force so that GRR Martin can finish the books without pulling a Jordan.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
book 3 will be split into seasons 3 and 4.

FYI, HBO is releasing another trailer tomorrow night that is supposed to be a longer version of the one that came out last night.

Yeah I heard that season 3 would be about half of book 3... have a good idea of where they'll end the season :sneaky:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Eh. Not sure I like that they changed the actor that plays Beric, also that guy does not look nearly thin enough to do the lightning lord's story justice.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Eh. Not sure I like that they changed the actor that plays Beric, also that guy does not look nearly thin enough to do the lightning lord's story justice.

Not nearly as much of a change as Missandei. She was a 10 year old girl in the books.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Maybe the original actor had a car wreck. Still wish they hadn't changed actors for Beric, it hurts the contiguity of his story.

I agree about Missandei, although I bet there are a lot of complications with using such young actors.

Last edited: