Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
OK I am not so far along. Reading it and in book 2 now. Great book(s) but has anybody yet addressed the absurdity of thinking that carrier ravens can be taken out by archers? How many fvcking archers are you going to need shotgunning their arrows into the sky to have a reasonable chance of taking out a bird when you have no idea when it's going to be launched and you're sitting around a castle? They can't let the bird out barely at sunrise, for example?

That just bothers me. Anyway, off now to keep reading.

Because the people in the GoT universe can't waste their time sitting on their asses posting on ATOT. It's a kill or be killed world, whereas ours is more of a troll or be trolled world. ;)

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
I have seen season 2 but I haven't read the books. Is this series about them just walking around? Is there any resolution to it? After season 1 I was expecting that things would be resolved in S2 but it looks like almost all the characters are at the same point they were in S1.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
You should read the books. Season 3 and 4 will be awesome. Jon Snow up north and the weddings. And Brienne on the road with Jaime.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
so what is the show going to do when they run out of books in a couple years?

Well, the next 3 books will occupy at least 6 seasons if they all get made, so they are good through 2017 at the moment. I sure hope book 6 is out before then, but there could still be a problem eventually.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
You should read the books. Season 3 and 4 will be awesome. Jon Snow up north and the weddings. And Brienne on the road with Jaime.
Spoil it a bit for me pleas :) Is Jamie going to seduce Brienne? :)
The kid that plays the king is the most vile character I have seen on TV. You look at his face and you just want to punch him. :D

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
Well, the next 3 books will occupy at least 6 seasons if they all get made, so they are good through 2017 at the moment. I sure hope book 6 is out before then, but there could still be a problem eventually.

Martin told the producers the ending to the story in case he dies before finishing the series. So, unless HBO cancels it down the road, we should see it to end.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Which means the first half will arrive in December 2017 and it won't have the interesting characters in it.

It will in fact be nothing more then 30 minor characters, some of who we have only had mentioned in passing up until that book, doing average day-to-day tasks until they suddenly get killed by a unnamed character for no reason the reader can fathom.

RR will promise us it will all make sense when the second half of the book is published sometime in 2020 (but it gets delayed until 2025)

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
Which means the first half will arrive in December 2017 and it won't have the interesting characters in it.

Yeah, he's such a slow writer. He goes to too many cons. He needs to be tied to his chair and get the damn series competed.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
You figure that's he would want to complete this asap, then go off and live off his millions from the books and HBO show.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Whens the new season start? I finally got around to watching Seasons 1 and 2 after getting HBO for free from my cable company and loved it.

I'm going through book 1 now but it's slow moving.

Can't wait for season 3.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I have seen season 2 but I haven't read the books. Is this series about them just walking around? Is there any resolution to it? After season 1 I was expecting that things would be resolved in S2 but it looks like almost all the characters are at the same point they were in S1.

there're going to introduce a new male Stark named Tony and his incredible armor.

but this probably wont happen till season 4 (2014 season).

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You figure that's he would want to complete this asap, then go off and live off his millions from the books and HBO show.

as opposed to the millions he already got from his book even b4 it was announced that hbo was making a tv series out of it?

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
I don't think he needs the money. He can do what he wants for the rest of his life anyway. He's 64 years old now, so he's no spring chicken. I really hope he does finish them, but it's his life to do what he wants with. I am a little pissed off that he won't let anyone else finish the books if he dies before he finishes, but at least he will let HBO finish the TV series if he does die first. The TV series is pretty much as good/detailed as the books.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Realistically he has at least 6 years to finish the series, assuming he gets the next book out within 5 years. Obviously he'd want to do it before 5 years since that would leave Song of Spring little time to be written.
SoS = two seasons
FfC = one season
DwD = two seasons (I'm most of the way though this book and there's just to much shit in it for it to be a single season)

I imagine they will do FfC and DwD chronologically split through 3 seasons instead of going the route of the books with split characters. It is painfully obvious they are not going to have major characters sit out for a year. Also, FfC was simply not a good book. Hell, they wrote more Jamie and Tywin into season 2 that was never in book 2. Those characters were barely in CoK.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
If you people think HBO is going to make a TV season (or two) for each book, you're absolutely nuts. They wouldn't even be able to use the same cast as they'd all be BEYOND a believable age for their counterparts in the novels. Not to mention the cost of the series.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I just caught up with the TV show. After season 1, read 1st book and then finished season 2 of show.

Forgive me for not going through the entire thread to see if this has already been discussed: the identity of Jon Snow.

Could Jon Snow be in fact a Targaryen? A union between Rhaegar Targaryen and Ned Stark's sister. That explains why his identity is pretty well guarded by Ned and his (Ned) disagreement with Robert concerning the remaining surviving Targaryen children. Also given that Ned was the most honorable man of Westeros, he probably did not cheat on his wife and only wish to protect his nephew.

Given what little to go on it does seem plausible.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
Martin has not formally denied this. We'll see if and when Jon Snow's parentage is reviewed.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

I don't think so. The first two books were one season each. The third book is going to be divided into two season. I don't think books 4 and 5 will each be split into two season. It will only be two seasons for both of them combined, three at most.

So much of books 4 and 5 are filler, long journeys, repetitive actions, long descriptions, and soul searching that will be cut out of the TV show. Much of it should have been cut out of the book by its editor.

No one wants to hear, "have you seen a maid of thee and ten," over and over again. Or watch long journeys with drinking and pissing being about the only thing that happens. Or watch the river turtles. Most of the soul searching that goes on in book 5 will be cut; inner monologues won't happen in the TV show.

You won't have all the descriptions of urination, bowel movements, and menstrual cycles that make it into the book.
"Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water." -ADWD