Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
So I just caught up. The nice thing was I got to watch both seasons in the last 3-4 months b/c I hadn't seen any of them before. Now I'm like everyone else, I have to sit around and wait another year for the next season. I might get the books but don't want to ruin the series.

A few observations.

1. I came from Spartacus. Spartacus had a LOT more action, nekkidness, and gore. GOT has a lot better acting (minus Batiatus who was one of the single greatest characters ever created and acted), overall better character development, and a much deeper story.

2. I am a little disappointed they didn't actually show more battles. It was nice to see the battle on King's Landing instead of just little duels and skirmishes and "aftermaths" of battles.

3. Khaleesi's maidservant who got locked in the vault was the hottest on the show IMO. The new Ygrett (?) has potential, can't see the body under that clothing yet though.

4. Cersie is a strait up nasty B!tch....dang.

5. Geoffrey plays his part perfectly too. That poor kid will probably never get another acting or movie role b/c everyone hates him now...lol.

6. "The Mountain" from Season 1 was actually Seddulus in Spartacus Vengence. I won't tell you exactly what happened to him there but let's say he lost face in front of his friends.

7. Do they use camera tricks to make Brienne (?) bigger for a woman or is she that big?

8. The whole Winterfell thing is very confusing. Who burned it? What happened to Greyjoy's buddies who KO'd him? What happened to the men surrounding it that I assume were sent by Rob Stark? Did they burn it? Couldn't they protect it?

9. Why does Jon always look confused? Great character btw though.

10. Jagen is/was awesome

11. Haven't read the books but I have a hunch Arya plays a major role throughout the series and come back to kick some a$$ later.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
2. I am a little disappointed they didn't actually show more battles. It was nice to see the battle on King's Landing instead of just little duels and skirmishes and "aftermaths" of battles.

7. Do they use camera tricks to make Brienne (?) bigger for a woman or is she that big?

9. Why does Jon always look confused? Great character btw though.

10. Jagen is/was awesome

11. Haven't read the books but I have a hunch Arya plays a major role throughout the series and come back to kick some a$$ later.

2) That's the way the books cover the battles. VERY little detail is given on the blow-by-blow, it's more focused on build-up and aftermath.

7) The actress that plays Brienne is 6'3" or 6'4" in real life

9) He might as well look confused, he acts confused. That's Jon, he's never really too sure of what he's doing or too committed to any course of action.

10) Yep. Expecting to see him more later on, possible in a different guise. The faceless men can be anyone.

11) I expect Arya to be one of the few major characters left standing at the end. It's hard to tell with Martin, he kills characters like most people change their socks. I just get the feeling from Arya's storyline that she's going to play a major role in determining which side eventually wins.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
8. The whole Winterfell thing is very confusing. Who burned it? What happened to Greyjoy's buddies who KO'd him? What happened to the men surrounding it that I assume were sent by Rob Stark? Did they burn it? Couldn't they protect it?
Ramsay, he's Roose Bolton's bastard son, both literally and figuratively.

Theon wasn't killed just knocked out. Robb promised the rest of them pardons, but I doubt Ramsay would let them live since he will blame the burning of Winterfell on Theon and his men.

The Boltons are a powerful house in the North, and long time rivals of the Starks, if the Starks fall, they can get a promotion.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
^^And Maester Luwin should have told Bran & co. all of that when he saw them last. I guess they're just saving it for season 3 since
Ramsay
hasn't been introduced yet.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I have not caught up n the series yet... but has Robb gotten married? I know he got betrothed when he passed through the twin tower bridge thing....

Also, they play lots of tricks through the books here. The biggest being with Jon. By the end of the books he is in real deep... poo and I am very anxious to see what happens (I do not want to spoil anything. Saying he is in dire straits is no surprise as he is throughout the whole series... but this is pretty big).

Arya is the twist I would like to see developing... before George kicks the bucket. I am also wondering about what's-her-face (the pretty sister). She has not really developed in the books or the series.....

I really REALLY hope they take their time with this series. they have PLENTY to go on. I just hope they do not split it quite as awkwardly as they did with the last two (?) books (I believe that he wrote them as one, but then split them and fleshed them out. So one follows the midget for most of the book, and the other follows Danarys (sp)..... Did not like that.)

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Sucks most only care about getting their next two books more than the dude's life.

Wow i actually agree with you for once. People are really obnoxious about fantasy series. They act like they are somehow entitled to a book every year and if they don't get it and it's not perfect they somehow got ripped off. I think the 3 lord of the rings books took over a decade to write, and you know what I'm glad he took his time. No matter how long it takes to write a book, if it's good it was worth it. It reminds me of a Bill Hicks quote:

"Thank you. How you doing folks? Me too. You gotta bear with me, I'm very tired, very tired of traveling, and very tired of doing comedy, and very tired of staring out at your vacant faces looking back at me, wanting me to fill your empty lives with humor you couldn't possibly think of yourselves. Good evening."

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Wow i actually agree with you for once. People are really obnoxious about fantasy series. They act like they are somehow entitled to a book every year and if they don't get it and it's not perfect they somehow got ripped off. I think the 3 lord of the rings books took over a decade to write, and you know what I'm glad he took his time. No matter how long it takes to write a book, if it's good it was worth it. It reminds me of a Bill Hicks quote:

"Thank you. How you doing folks? Me too. You gotta bear with me, I'm very tired, very tired of traveling, and very tired of doing comedy, and very tired of staring out at your vacant faces looking back at me, wanting me to fill your empty lives with humor you couldn't possibly think of yourselves. Good evening."

Stephen King wrote Misery after his experience with fans after his own car wreck. For as many cards and letters he got with well wishes there were 3x as many rushing him to put out more novels and most importantly finish the Gunslinger series. He wrote about it in one of the forwards for said series.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Wow i actually agree with you for once. People are really obnoxious about fantasy series. They act like they are somehow entitled to a book every year..

It took SIX years for him to finish the last book. SIX YEARS.

If authors don't complete their series, why should fans ever pick up the first volume?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
It took SIX years for him to finish the last book. SIX YEARS.

If authors don't complete their series, why should fans ever pick up the first volume?

I agree. Authors want to have their cake and eat it too, they happily lap up the money they earn when people are committed to following a series while in the same breath bitching about their desire for fans to leave them alone to not finish a series. It's a two way street, if they want us to care about what happens next we expect them to care about telling us what happens next.

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
I agree. Authors want to have their cake and eat it too, they happily lap up the money they earn when people are committed to following a series while in the same breath bitching about their desire for fans to leave them alone to not finish a series. It's a two way street, if they want us to care about what happens next we expect them to care about telling us what happens next.

I'm pretty sure he's gonna write the book whether or not people actually give a fuck; or alternatively not write the book if he doesn't feel like it. He owes people nothing. If you bought book A and enjoyed book A then great, but what in the hell does that have to do with book B? Did some of you sign a contract I wasn't aware of? The sense of entitlement among "fans" is borderline laughable.

I enjoy the GoT myself but I don't find myself masturbating to images of George RR Martin in shit-stained underwear beneath some whale oil lamp, pen in hand writing the next book in the series. If he kicks the bucket before the series finishes then, yea, it would suck, but it's not the end of the world.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Wait a second here! Are you telling me that this series might not actually have an end to it? Like I might end up with some cliff hangers that never get resolved?? Is this just going to be an ongoing story with not actual end or resolution?

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Wait a second here! Are you telling me that this series might not actually have an end to it? Like I might end up with some cliff hangers that never get resolved?? Is this just going to be an ongoing story with not actual end or resolution?
He has said that he has a full fledged "end" planned and, I quote, will not "Lost" everyone.
That is in reference to the ending of the TV show "Lost" being completely ambiguous and sounding like it was pretty much pulled out of JJ Abraham's ass at the very last second. Also, that the ending will not be completely out of left field and way off of fan predictions (like Lost).

He has stated that he purposefully ignores fan theories because he doesn't want to be influenced one way or another.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

The producers of the TV show have GRRM's outline and notes. So as long as the show doesn't get cancelled it will have an ending.

The books on the other hand... The series was supposed to be a trilogy at the beginning, now it's going to be at least 7 books. With the pace of the last two books, I'd expect it to be longer. Every book has taken longer to write than the one before. There was two years between the first three books. The last two took five, and six years. The authors pace has slowed down considerably, while he is doing more projects, interviews, traveling, and conventions than ever before. George Martin is 63 years old now, and severely obese. So I wouldn't bet on him finishing the books.

Last edited:

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
The producers of the TV show have GRRM's outline and notes. So as long as the show doesn't get cancelled it will have an ending.

The books on the other hand... The series was suppose to be a trilogy at the beginning, now it's going to be at least 7 books. With the pace of the last two books, I'd expect it to be longer. Every book has taken longer to write than the one before. There was two years between the first three books. The last two took five, and six years. The authors pace has slowed down considerably, while he is doing more projects, interviews, traveling, and conventions than ever before. George Martin is 63 years old now, and severely obese. So I wouldn't bet on him finishing the books.

He has also stated that he has failsafes in place to finish the series should something unfortunate happen. He doesn't want to "Robert Jordan" everyone.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
He has also stated that he has failsafes in place to finish the series should something unfortunate happen. He doesn't want to "Robert Jordan" everyone.

I don't remember him ever saying that about the books. That was only for the TV show.

Borkil

Sep 7, 2006

gahhh! the wheel of time is my favorite series! last book comes in january :)

but yeah wish there was more action in the show. all i feel like that happens is talking and sex now

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
gahhh! the wheel of time is my favorite series! last book comes in january :)

but yeah wish there was more action in the show. all i feel like that happens is talking and sex now

I know it's sad that Robert Jordan is dead and he was a genius but I'm kind of glad someone else is finishing the series for him, he had run out of gas and was going nowhere with it. Sanderson is no where near as good a writer but he is much better at moving the plot along while still using Jordans concepts of course.