Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 94 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was upset when she got locked in the vault. Major hottie!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I can't seem to shake this feeling of disappointment over the finale. The main thing is that I like feeling dramatic tension in stories like this, and I never got it. Of course, some scenes aren't going to have that (e.g. Tyrion's scene), but I expected a bit more in Dany's scene. When she got chained up by the evil, creepy warlock, I just never really cared. Although, it was good watching 'im burn! :twisted:

Feb 6, 2007
Great finale. Though I don't think they made it clear to non-bookreaders that Quorin agreed to sacrifice himself so that the wildlings can trust Jon and accept him into their ranks.
I never read the books and I thought it was clear that Quorin was sacrificing himself so that Jon Snow would appear a traitor and get in with the wildlings.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The dungeon scene was so quick as IMHO to prove just how powerful both Dany is as are even baby dragons.

Most of Dany's own people I don't think acknowledge the extent of her power.

Feb 6, 2007
I can't seem to shake this feeling of disappointment over the finale. The main thing is that I like feeling dramatic tension in stories like this, and I never got it. Of course, some scenes aren't going to have that (e.g. Tyrion's scene), but I expected a bit more in Dany's scene. When she got chained up by the evil, creepy warlock, I just never really cared. Although, it was good watching 'im burn! :twisted:
I agree somewhat. It seems like since they focused solely on the attack at King's Landing last week, they had to tie everything together and wrap it all up in this episode, and it ended up feeling rushed. That said, I still enjoyed it, but certain bits felt like they needed to be fleshed out more, most noatably the House of the Undying (which was a sort of "WTF is going on" scene, but still felt somewhat abbreviated). Also, from descriptions I've read here, it seems like Tyrion's injury was supposed to be much more gruesome; a scar across the face doesn't seem like such a big deal (it's certainly not as bad as The Hound).

Overall, a little disappointing, but that's also because I was really enjoying Tyrion's role as the "no bullshit" man behind the throne, and clearly that's not going to be the same moving forward.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
these characters are going to be SO OLD before the series is done. The young kids are not going to fit their roles anymore.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
G6DSi.jpg

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Oh, and Tyrion loses his nose in the books, or a good portion thereof. I knew this would not be the case in the series simply because it is too expensive and gruesome a make-up trick that really does not matter (Tyrion is supposed to be not only a dwarf, but a butt-ugly phreak. What's-his-face just ain't freaky enough.)

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Could someone post in spoiler tags how the book ended with Dany, without all the house of the undying tv storyline?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Could someone post in spoiler tags how the book ended with Dany, without all the house of the undying tv storyline?

from how I remember it her dragons were never kidnapped, she went there of her own accord and saw several visions of past/present/future, and basically burnt the magi and their house down without explanation. The way the show handled things made far more sense, at least outside of the visions which they left out many telling ones that hint at certain potential plot points

Xaro Xhoan Daxos was also never locked in a vault

this next part was the end of the book and was left out, but very well could possibly be included in the next season...

and the last we see of Danny in the book is her looking/begging for passage out of Qarth's sea port where we see another assassination attempt and it is Strong Belwas and his squire Arstan Whitebeard who come to the rescue, claiming to be sent by Illyrio Mopatis (Magister of Pentos, the dude "helping" Danny and Viserys at the beginning of Season 1) with ships to bring Danny back to Pentos

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001

Book version of Dany's ending:

Xaro never betrays Dany or becomes king (the 13 are not killed). Her dragons are not stolen, but Dany goes to visit the House of the Undying at their invitation, with Drogon on her shoulder. She sees a number of strange visions inside the house (not the same ones shown on TV). Finally she enters a room containing a floating, beating heart, where the Undying attempt to trap/attack her. Drogon burns the heart and Dany escapes.

Additional Dany events in ACoK which they may be saving for season 3:

Xaro kicks Dany out after she repeatedly refuses to marry him or trade him a dragon. While she is looking to purchase a ship, a man attempts to assassinate Dany using a manticore (small very poisonous creature), but a pair of men named Arstan and Belwas save her. They have brought three ships sent by Illyrio to take Dany back to Pentos.

EDIT: Darnit, Ninja'd by bunny! :)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Great finale. Though I don't think they made it clear to non-bookreaders that Quorin agreed to sacrifice himself so that the wildlings can trust Jon and accept him into their ranks.

yea i was wondering wtf was going on with that fight.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I haven't read the books, but anyone that didn't understand the Halfhand/Snow fight should probably stick to watching less cerebral shows like Glee.

Feb 6, 2007
yea i was wondering wtf was going on with that fight.
It helped that they replayed the scene from two weeks ago in the previously on part before the episode. There was the scene, after they'd been captured, where Quorin whispers to Jon Snow that he needs to do the right thing when the time comes. That was pretty blatant foreshadowing that Snow was going to have to kill him. But it was a couple weeks ago, so without the reminder from the previously on segment, I probably wouldn't have remembered it myself.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I haven't read the books, but anyone that didn't understand the Halfhand/Snow fight should probably stick to watching less cerebral shows like Glee.

really another personal attack? why do you have to be such a insulting prick all the fucking time?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Doreah, played by Roxanne McKee. In the books, she is only supposed to be 16 :hmm:

she's the one that taught Dany sex.

in the books she died on the way to Quarth.
and Dany's other handmaiden is still alive as of the latest book. (in the tv show she was killed when they took the dragons.)

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Pher, you gave more details.

I like the two new guys she is supposed to meet. Interesting characters and a possibility for much...... fun.

I can't wait for the candied.... well you know....

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
really another personal attack? why do you have to be such a insulting prick all the fucking time?

My psychoanalysis is that he is a very lonely and hateful person with really bad social skills, so personal attacks in an online forums help him cope with the loneliness.