Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
it's fucking sad people are making GoT political. In monarchy government, the King fucking ruled despite religion and all that other drama. Drink, fuck, sleep and make proclamations.

Deny that, and he'd just put his sword through you.

Sounds like something Joffrey would say...

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
BOOOOO for me his face is too well known and will take away from the fantasy of the series.

it would be like Gary Burghoff cast to play the mad alchemist making wild fire.

yeah, it kind of ruined it for me when I saw Agent Smith in Lord of the Rings. At least they covered up Magneto with a lot of white/gray hair and a huge beard and wizard hat.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
How can you think it has been written out of the show when the event I allude to occurs in A Storm of Swords? which means it likely won't happen until next season...

I've read the books two times through. I am aware of the timeline. I am telling you that there are discussions elsewhere that this plot point is not happening. My brother brought it to my attention and it pissed me off just to contemplate it. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but this same discussion group (which appears to contain at least one person who has some kind of inside connection) has yet to be wrong about anything.

To you, it's a third person interent rumor at best. No, I wouldn't expect you to put any stock in it. I wouldn't in your shoes. I just hope it's wrong, or that they do what someone else suggested
merely cripple his hand

I still do not see a casting for Vargo Hoat - which makes you wonder...

Also, I'd like to renew my gripe from a couple of weeks ago about how awful the Roose Bolton casting was. He is nowhere near as sinister as he should be.

And I'll add that Davos is a complete casualty of this show. Such an interesting character on the pages and so absolutely wasted on the screen.

PS - FREE STRONG BELWAS!!!

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I've read the books two times through. I am aware of the timeline. I am telling you that there are discussions elsewhere that this plot point is not happening.
Link?

I posted one of the audition tapes for the role a few days ago. So I'm fairly sure Vargo is in. Although he may not have his lisp.

You think Strong Belwas is going to make it in? Other than a few humorous lines, what he does could easily be done by someone else. There are already going to be plenty of tough guys around.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Link?

I posted one of the audition tapes for the role a few days ago. So I'm fairly sure Vargo is in. Although he may not have his lisp.

You think Strong Belwas is going to make it in? Other than a few humorous lines, what he does could easily be done by someone else. There are already going to be plenty of tough guys around.

Who else can eat like he can?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I've read the books two times through. I am aware of the timeline. I am telling you that there are discussions elsewhere that this plot point is not happening. My brother brought it to my attention and it pissed me off just to contemplate it. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but this same discussion group (which appears to contain at least one person who has some kind of inside connection) has yet to be wrong about anything.

To you, it's a third person interent rumor at best. No, I wouldn't expect you to put any stock in it. I wouldn't in your shoes. I just hope it's wrong, or that they do what someone else suggested
merely cripple his hand

Also, I'd like to renew my gripe from a couple of weeks ago about how awful the Roose Bolton casting was. He is nowhere near as sinister as he should be.

And I'll add that Davos is a complete casualty of this show. Such an interesting character on the pages and so absolutely wasted on the screen.

Vargo Hoat doesn't really need to be in there to explain what happens, the incident in question could easily happen under any number of circumstances

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Vargo Hoat doesn't really need to be in there to explain what happens, the incident in question could easily happen under any number of circumstances

If they get rid of him then they won't have the
bear fights
and that will make me sad.

AeroEngy

Mar 16, 2006

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
So, finally couldn't take it anymore and started reading the GoT Wiki to see what happens next.

And I am disappointed!

All of the characters we have come to admire just get fucked over by new characters and on and on it goes without resolution. The series just continues to splinter in new tangential plot lines.

Let's take Tyrion as an example. Citing the Wiki of Fire and Ice:

During the battle Ser Mandon Moore of the Kingsguard turns on Tyrion and tries to kill him, slicing off his nose, but was saved by his squire Podrick Payne before Moore could finish him.Tyrion passes out and wakes up in bed some time after the battle, suffering from serious facial wounds and the loss of most of his nose. Tyrion suspects that Cersei was behind the assassination attempt...Tyrion makes a complete recovery some weeks later, only to learn that Lord Tywin had taken all the glory and taken over as Hand. Tyrion finds himself demoted to Master of Coin, replacing Petyr Baelish and forced into a political marriage with Sansa Stark to forestall a Tyrell move to marry her to Willas Tyrell...At King Joffrey's wedding feast, Tyrion gets into an altercation with Joffrey, and soon afterwards the king is murdered, an act for which Tyrion is unjustly accused and arrested by command of Cersei. Tyrion again stands trial for a crime he did not commit. During the trial, Cersei brings Ser Osmund Kettleblack who lies that Joffrey believed Tyrion meant to muder him; Grand Maester Pycelle claims that Tyrion stole poison from him and Shae is brought to humiliate him before the court...Oberyn's death condemns Tyrion, but the night before he is to be executed, he is freed from his prison cell by his brother Jaime and a reluctant Varys. During their escape, Jaime reveals that their father made him lie about Tysha being a prostitute, and that she was just a peasant girl who had genuinely loved Tyrion. Tyrion sees this as an unforgivable betrayal and abandons Jaime, promising retribution. Before leaving the castle, Tyrion visits his father's room and finds Shae there, whom he kills....and on and on and on...

What is HBO going to do with all this? Have 10 plot lines running per show? 20? It just seems to get boring in my opinion.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I'd stick to Glee.

But I don't watch Glee, so why would I stick with it?

All I'm saying is that it was disappointing compared to the novel. The Blackwater bay battle was awesome in the novel. The visualization didn't live up to it.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I love this show but I can't keep up with all the names. Isn't there a Bob somewhere?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
So, finally couldn't take it anymore and started reading the GoT Wiki to see what happens next.

And I am disappointed!

SPOILER removed

Let's take Tyrion as an example. Citing the Wiki of Fire and Ice:

SPOILER removed

What is HBO going to do with all this? Have 10 plot lines running per show? 20? It just seems to get boring in my opinion.

I havent read the wiki. I dont usually mind spoilers so I read all the spoilers in this thread, and reading them made me not want to read the books. The story just seems to go on and on forever

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
The real problem is time. They could take the second book and make it 2 seasons. But there would be filler episodes. So people would still bitch. No matter how you look at it. People are going to bitch about one thing or the other. I am pretty content with how the season has gone. Especially with the thought of book 3 being 2 seasons, I can see some left over book 2 stuff getting thrown in early on season 3.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I havent read the wiki. I dont usually mind spoilers so I read all the spoilers in this thread, and reading them made me not want to read the books. The story just seems to go on and on forever
I think GRRM is planning 2 more books?

it's really not that bad... you also have to take into account that as new plot threads emerge, others peter out or get combined.

like, in the latest book, (minor spoilers)
Jon Snow, Stannis, and Melisandre would all be in the same scenes in a tv-adaptation instead of being two distinctly separate stories

Last edited:

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
What is wrong with you people? Of course its boring if you read a "wiki" of the spoilers. Its like reading a dictionary.

Take your favorite book of all time and read the wikipedia page synopsis. Does it still have the same entertainment value?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The real problem is time. They could take the second book and make it 2 seasons. But there would be filler episodes. So people would still bitch. No matter how you look at it. People are going to bitch about one thing or the other. I am pretty content with how the season has gone. Especially with the thought of book 3 being 2 seasons, I can see some left over book 2 stuff getting thrown in early on season 3.
I see no need to make a season, 1 book. It's a TV show.
I didn't and won't read the books but I like the show.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
What is wrong with you people? Of course its boring if you read a "wiki" of the spoilers. Its like reading a dictionary.

Take your favorite book of all time and read the wikipedia page synopsis. Does it still have the same entertainment value?

This.

I read plot summaries just to be aware what's gonna happen - but it never turned me away from the book. If it could, I'd refrain from reading the summary.

How
a book is written is far more important than what the plot is. There have been dozens of fantasy books for kids, but none beat Harry Potter. Similarly, no wiki (or even TV shows, sorry) can come anywhere close to GRRM's writing. His books create a sense of thrill, suspense and attention-grabbing not commonly seen even in today's world awash with books.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Call me crazy but the HUGE SPOILERS linked above also includes some of Book 4. That's at least another season away probably 2 if they expand out book 3. Even then Book 4 is written in the same time frame as Book 5 and they will probably mush the time frame back into line. Those spoilers are looking to cover at least 3 season of material with Tyrion and more like 4 or 5 seasons if it lasts that long.

Last edited: