Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
We ALL hold the power you know, the power to create! To create a thread in time... a thread FOR book discussion, a thread where people can go to discuss what happens in book #927 without having to think about spoiler tag usage as much. Such power, and we ALL hold it, but who will use it?? You would think somebody would have done it by now.

Yea, maybe a member of the group who keep on and on with whiny book comparisons and spoilers.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
We ALL hold the power you know, the power to create! To create a thread in time... a thread FOR book discussion, a thread where people can go to discuss what happens in book #927 without having to think about spoiler tag usage as much. Such power, and we ALL hold it, but who will use it?? You would think somebody would have done it by now.

Readers of the book enjoy the show too. It's not as if there is a mysterious force moving your mouse cursors over the spoiler blocks... :p

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999

There is a book thread here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2176691

Problem is there will be two GoT threads and some dumbasses click the wrong one and see massive spoilers from the book thread.

I'm gonna bump it anyway because I just finished the last book.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Tywin Lannister is actually a likable character in the series. He was a real cunthammer in the books.
I feel they are doing that on purpose. In the book universe he is ridiculously respected and almost feared so much that he is loved. I have a feeling they are making him likeable so at the right time he can become the epic douche nozzle that he truly is.

Last edited:

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

Why.

If nobody is posting there it means NOBODY IS POSTING THERE.

People want to discuss BOTH. Once that happens, it is very difficult to keep them separate.

Now all you whiners grow a pair and realize that EVERY F'N SHOW THAT CAME FROM A BOOK OR COMIC WILL HAVE THE SAME DAMN THING HAPPENING IN A THREAD.

Don't make me link to the Walking Dead thread!!!!!!!

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
There is a book thread here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2176691

Problem is there will be two GoT threads and some dumbasses click the wrong one and see massive spoilers from the book thread.

I'm gonna bump it anyway because I just finished the last book.

I was disappointed.

I am just worried this guy will not be around long enough to finish....

George.jpg

Can you imagine what HBO would do without an ending?

"There is a strange disturbance in the boobies" [/HBO planning exec....]

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
My concern as well. He's got about 1-2/3 books to write yet. If the gap between books 4 and 5 is any indication...

Almost done watching season 1. Overall, pretty decent.

I was disappointed.

I am just worried this guy will not be around long enough to finish....

George.jpg

Can you imagine what HBO would do without an ending?

"There is a strange disturbance in the boobies" [/HBO planning exec....]

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
He has said he has told the producers what the major plot lines are in case he should pass away before he has finished writing.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah. This eccentric writer told the PRODUCERS the plot lines for his books should he die....

Amazing he planned so much Sex!

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah. This eccentric writer told the PRODUCERS the plot lines for his books should he die....

Amazing he planned so much Sex!

That'd be interesting... the T.V. shows become cannon if no one finishes his book series like Brandon Sanderson is finishing Wheel of Time.

In any case I read there was a delay because he had some idea of moving the storyline 5 years forward but ended up scrapping the idea and rewriting much of the last book.

Hopefully if the above is true there won't be too much delay as a major block to moving the story forward is possibly gone.

IMO, It would be a much bigger loss to fans of fantasy novels if George R.R. Martin passes before he finishes ASoIaF than it was when Robert Jordan passed.

Too be honest there is a decent amount of sex in the books but probably no more than many other books intended for adults.

I'm sure HBO wanted them to up the sex count in the T.V. series to placate people who are incapable of reading the books :p

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Being a rabid fan of the books and TV show, I will say that I was rather disappointed with the latest episode (episode 7?). There was so much redundancy, especially with the John Snow scenes. I guess there has to be a slow/uninteresting episode at some point, since the TV show itself has been going at full speed this current season.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
He has said he has told the producers what the major plot lines are in case he should pass away before he has finished writing.

He also had an outline of the next 2 books with major information and such filled in specifically as well as outlines of the future and past of the universe which are in the hands of the crew of legions he has surrounding him to help he work on the overall picture.
I believe that dude who ran the website dedicated to the book and who is the acting expert on the world is primed to be the successor should he fall.

He had the good graces of seeing Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time and the folly that followed his death before it happened to himself.

I have heard it said that the 7 years between FOC and DWD was partially due to him "death proofing" the story.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
That'd be interesting... the T.V. shows become cannon if no one finishes his book series like Brandon Sanderson is finishing Wheel of Time.

In any case I read there was a delay because he had some idea of moving the storyline 5 years forward but ended up scrapping the idea and rewriting much of the last book.

Hopefully if the above is true there won't be too much delay as a major block to moving the story forward is possibly gone.

IMO, It would be a much bigger loss to fans of fantasy novels if George R.R. Martin passes before he finishes ASoIaF than it was when Robert Jordan passed.

Too be honest there is a decent amount of sex in the books but probably no more than many other books intended for adults.

I'm sure HBO wanted them to up the sex count in the T.V. series to placate people who are incapable of reading the books :p

I said this in the other book thread:
For all the FOC and DWD dislikers, remember that originally, Martin wanted to forgo those chapters. SOS was supposed to be followed by FOC set 5 years in the future. With some retelling of major events over those five years in the beginning but majorly focusing on what I assume will be happening in the next two books.
He just found it too hard to write it that way. I excuse some of the plodding around in the FOC/DWD solely because I know he is just allowing for the passage of time.

In my opinion, he could have easily skipped those books and set it 5 years in the future to go a head and deal with the story at hand. Then a few years after he finished the major story he could have went back and wrote some filler books to fill in that 5 year span, much like he was doing with the Egg stories to fill in some back story. But that is just my opinion.
and
I also might want to point out that I can see why the 5 year jump might have been frowned upon slightly.

If after SOS, we can onto a 5 years later:
Dany riding dragons, Arya assassinating people as a Faceless Man, Tyrion leading the second sons, Jon Snow full on warg with a wildling army presumably just surviving an Ceasaring, Bran as a full on Greenseer, Aegon/Griff/Probably the Princess of the Doran in Storm's End, Stannis/Bolton owning Winterfall with the other dead, Victorian with a dragon/s, and Highgarden/Lannister in full of Varys started war,
there would have been a ton of people going "WTF?".
I imagine it is hard writing those fillers. I am hoping that being back on track and in the heart of the story he will have an easier time cranking it out. Hopefully.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

They're pretty hot, but harp?! That's one of the most uncool instruments ever created. The only place in the world they fit in, is in a mahogany paneled parlor, with a peat fire burning in the fireplace, and servants bring you and your guests rare cognac, and truffles accented in gold leaf.

They'd look better playing cello.