Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
change in aria's story?
explain

Tywin isn't supposed to be at Harrenhal. And Arya isn't a cup bearer (yet), just another servant girl.

Arya is supposed to help overthrow the Harrenhal garrison in the very near future so that it can be taken by some of Robb's men who are being held prisoner there. Tywin is going to have to leave, or something, unless they've totally re-written that part as well.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
You know....

there just might be too much...

sex after all

nooo.gif

:p

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Tywin isn't supposed to be at Harrenhal. And Arya isn't a cup bearer (yet), just another servant girl.

Arya is supposed to help overthrow the Harrenhal garrison in the very near future so that it can be taken by some of Robb's men who are being held prisoner there. Tywin is going to have to leave, or something, unless they've totally re-written that part as well.

Well, since they took Riverrun out of the story, Tywin won't try to attack it. And Roosevelt Bolton doesn't seem to wanna leave Rob. I wonder where the Greatjon is.

Damn auto correct! I meant Roose Bolton :p

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm struggling to understand why they have changed so much. Have they commented on why they decided to change almost every story line?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I'm struggling to understand why they have changed so much. Have they commented on why they decided to change almost every story line?

to simplify things so the story can fit into a 10 episode TV series?

the direction in which things are unfolding for the POV characters is largely the same regardless of the changes, and in some cases we can argue its making events that are only alluded to in the books better/more clear

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Why does a whole book have to fit into 10 episodes? Why not do the book across 2 seasons? Are they really going to try to fit each book into 10 episodes?

They have completely changed several of the main characters. Not just a little bit either.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
The Catelyn story line got moved ahead to get Jaime into the show sooner, since he is out of the story for most of book 2.

So some of the changes are due to having such a big cast, and others are due to having to cram such a large book into one 10 episodes.

Why does a whole book have to fit into 10 episodes? Why not do the book across 2 seasons? Are they really going to try to fit each book into 10 episodes?
They said 10 episodes was the most they could do in a year. Book 3 will be divided into two seasons.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Finished the 5th book last night then read all the spoilers I've been avoiding on other forums. Wow, I missed a ton of stuff. Right over my head including
R + L = J
. Never would have put that together myself.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
They have to fast track a series from the books because already even now many are losing patience with 'cliffhangers' and not being spoon fed what is really happening.

Battle Royale vs Hunger Games is a great example. In Battle Royale you had to think a lot more...Hunger Games you pretty much could call it play by play.

The latter makes people feel smart.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
They have to fast track a series from the books because already even now many are losing patience with 'cliffhangers' and not being spoon fed what is really happening.

Battle Royale vs Hunger Games is a great example. In Battle Royale you had to think a lot more...Hunger Games you pretty much could call it play by play.

The latter makes people feel smart.

Not to thread-jack, but I just finished reading Battle Royale after reading all three Hunger Game books. Although I liked the grittyness of Battle Royale, I thought the story was much simpler. Perhaps thats just the direction the author wanted to go though.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Did they burn the 2 stark children in the end of the episode? Disgusting.

They would've burned them in public if they had captured the children and were actually going to do that. It's a ruse to save face since they lost the trail.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
The Catelyn story line got moved ahead to get Jaime into the show sooner, since he is out of the story for most of book 2.

So some of the changes are due to having such a big cast, and others are due to having to cram such a large book into one 10 episodes.

They said 10 episodes was the most they could do in a year. Book 3 will be divided into two seasons.

Why is 10 the most they could do? They can't film/produce them any faster?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
They said it was time. With casting, editing, and filming so many different characters in so many different locations, the creators were taking almost a whole year to make each season's 10 episodes.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

They have completely changed several of the main characters. Not just a little bit either.

who cares. this isn't a series called "The Game of Thrones: Book Translation" ... it's just called The Game of Thrones.

really wish all the book talk would be taken to another thread, since this is a thread about the HBO TV series.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Finished the 5th book last night then read all the spoilers I've been avoiding on other forums. Wow, I missed a ton of stuff. Right over my head including
R + L = J.
Never would have put that together myself.

A lot of people miss it. Someone else asked me a couple of vague questions about the subject after hearing I was reading the books then suggested I reread the Ned PoVs.

It's fairly subtle.

who cares. this isn't a series called "The Game of Thrones: Book Translation" ... it's just called The Game of Thrones.

A lot of fans of the show have also read the books and have been anticipating it since the production was merely a rumor or barely confirmed. It was bound to happen...

"Readers are coming." :p

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
They said it was time. With casting, editing, and filming so many different characters in so many different locations, the creators were taking almost a whole year to make each season's 10 episodes.

It makes changes necessary and some are interesting while others, right now, are endangering the perception of certain character(s) imo.

Alfie Allen is doing a good job of making his character more sympathetic than I found him to be in the books. Daenerys story line changes are interesting. Right now Jon's story seems to be in danger of making him out to be a fool. He's definitely green in the books but not incompetent.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Uhhh more episodes = more cost?

Uhhhhh Economics 101 fail

If the show is making money more episodes = more profit

If it wasn't they'd stop making it.

Given the complexity of the filming and the widespread locations they're probably working on at least a 20, maybe ever 25 week filming schedule to get the 10 episodes shot. Since so many of the main people involved are either Americans or live in America that's probably the best they could hope for. Adding another 4 episodes could add another 2 months to production and likely many of those involved would not have gone for being spread all over Europe and Africa for that long.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Uhhhhh Economics 101 fail If the show is making money more episodes = more profit If it wasn't they'd stop making it.

Is that really true for the "premium stations" though? It's not like they can squeeze in another 40 minutes of advertising space into two more episodes. There's no other sponsors. No product placements. All you are doing is creating more set time, CGI, salaries, catering costs, production, travel, ect.

At best they maybe hook you in for another week or two of service or charge another $10 or so on the box set.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The guy she saved and offered her 3 deaths.

doubtful.. that guy doesnt seem like a royal assasin type.

or maybe i'm reading to much that aria is going to be
an assasin and that the person that killed the guy w/the dart starts her down that path