Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
No doubt, next weeks episode will be a doozy.

I can't get enough of this series, I heard a Game Of Thrones video game is due to release soon. Might be worthwhile for us fans.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
They are way off the script WRT to the books. It's really deviated from the original story.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
How do you build a fire when there are no trees around?

That is a problem.
Also, Mance Rayder has some sort of Wildling army of 100,000? That seems to be a problem with the story because there just isn't anything to eat much north of the wall.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
They are way off the script WRT to the books. It's really deviated from the original story.

While I havent seen last nights episode yet. I disagree. Sure they have changed the order of things and have to speed up the stories a bit. But beyond minor things its been following it to me. The books are huge..they could easily do 2 seasons a book. Maybe even 3.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
While I havent seen last nights episode yet. I disagree. Sure they have changed the order of things and have to speed up the stories a bit. But beyond minor things its been following it to me. The books are huge..they could easily do 2 seasons a book. Maybe even 3.

You'll change your mind once you watch last night's episode. There was at least 3 big events that just simply didnt happen in the books.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Loved last night's episode, man was I hoping for Joffrey to get killed by the crowd, but the slap almost made up for it. That kids gotta have a sore left cheek by now.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i have a problem w/Lord Greyjoy attacking the Starks.
If theon didnt show up, then he would still be w/the Starks.

didnt Lord Greyjoy give up theon to ensure peace?

or would he not have initiated hostilities if Theon was still by Robbs side?

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

:whiste:

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002

No spoilers from me, these are guesses.

Greyjoy isn't attacking the Starks but plans on taking the entire North. He's taking Deepwood, which is a choke point between the North and the south. He wants to cut and control resources.

Lord Greyjoy - that's one way to think of it. Ned and Robert pretty much took Theon as a ward to ensure Greyjoy wouldn't start another "war" and mind his manners. Greyjoy lost his 2 older suns in the war.

Greyjoy's plan to take Deepwood is probably independent of Theon. Robert and Ned are dead, Robb is fighting the Lannisters. Renly and Stannis are fighting each other. Chaos and Greyjoy wants to take advantage of all situations.

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

He clearly shows disdain for what Theon has become. I bet he would attack the North even if Theon did not return. He treats Theon as if he is not longer his son anyway.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

I think they're switching the chronology around to compress the story and that does necessitate changes to minor plot points. The real major change they made was the
kidnapping of the dragonlings
I expect it to pay off well.

However they seem to be sticking with the major plot points, aside from the
dragonnapping.

I do have one concern there should be an upcoming scene between Qhorin and Jon and the plot change does make me curious as to how that would play out now because it might not have the set up that it had in the books.

Rose Leslie is hot if a bit too pretty for the character, but I don't mind she's portraying the character well enough in the first few scenes she's been in.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I want Dany's dragons to grow up already.

I loved how the spice king put Danerys to her place. She's just nothing but a loud mouth. No allies, no power, no army. Just this birthright bullshit that's going to conquer the seven kingdoms out of thin air.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
This is a rather recent interview taking place in the February / March 2012 time frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHfip4DefG4&feature=related

George R.R. Martin interview.

Speaking of which I hope this is true.

tumblr_m3lk3sHo8f1r5fyi4o1_500.png

also this is kinda funny in regards to Ygritte's casting.

tumblr_m3nsxlgw3a1r5fyi4o1_500.png

EDIT

There is a possible book spoiler in the interview toward the very end of the interview just stop playing it at the 21 minute 07 second mark.

However, if you're paying attention to the HBO series dialogue between Jon Snow and Eddard Stark the last time they see each other.... show + Book spoiler below.... (the show producers have talked about it with the author and the author was reportedly pleased that they picked up on the clues)

Eddard Stark never says to Jon "you are my son" He says "You have my blood" This is important because Ned Stark makes it a point to be honest and honorable (even to a fault) as the events in the first season have shown. He rarely if ever told a direct lie as far as I know from the books or the first season except perhaps when King Robert was on his death bed to spare him emotional pain.

Last edited:

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Both want to be king.
Or did you mean before that?
Stanis is an ass; Renly likes ass.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
why were Renly and Stannis at odds in the first place?

Stannis is the eldest brother, Robert was in the middle, and Renly the youngest. So Stannis has the legitimate claim to the throne given that Robert's heirs are all bastards. He also hates that Robert sent him to Dragonstone, an isolated castle island, whereas Renly got to lord over a kingdom.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
great episode.

the crowd tore an arm off some guy ( a priest or something ). was he important in the books?

did the direwolves shrink? they seem smaller

...and of course:

f3x4ia.jpg

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Stannis is the eldest brother, Robert was in the middle, and Renly the youngest. So Stannis has the legitimate claim to the throne given that Robert's heirs are all bastards. He also hates that Robert sent him to Dragonstone, an isolated castle island, whereas Renly got to lord over a kingdom.

Stannis is not older than Robert. Stannis is the middle, Renly the youngest.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Not sure I like some of the changes they're making.

What's up with this plot of Jon and Ygritte lost together? Only thing I can figure is that they're going to have them fall in love now, instead of after he joins the wildlings.

And,
dafuq with having the dragons stolen? Perhaps theyre using it as the reason she destroys the House of the Undying instead of using a long and potentially confusing vision scene.

Also, Osha is hot (fap fap), and I look forward to seeing more :D of Ygritte.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Not true...you misread the wiki. Robert was the oldest, Stannis next, and Renly the youngest.